Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2006, 10:49 PM   #1
momof2inohio
Registered Users

My Mood:
10 month old using me for night time comfort?

Hi ladies.

BF has been going wonderful me. I am enjoying every minute of it, and know I am doing the best for my babe and hope to continue to do so for at least two years. Up until now! LOL

Ever since Christmas Devin has been getting up a often during the night. Before it was a couple, which is fine. I knew I was lucky he was sleeping 6-8 hours a night, so it wasn't that big of a deal. I'm a SAHM, so I make sure I'm the one responding and try to do it w/o waking up the household.

Anyway - The past couple months or so, I get Devin to sleep, either nursing/rocking him, or nursing him in my bed and transferring him to his crib, where he'd stay an hour or two, and then I'd get him and he'd stay the rest of the night in my bed. I enjoy co-sleeping very much.

But now he wakes every time I put him in his crib, and sometimes ten minutes after I leave him warm in my bed. It's making the evenings stressful; I can't do anything, including spend time with hubby, because the baby always wakes up when I move him, and many times when I don't!

I don't want to night wean him. I have no problem at all responding to him at night, it's just this every 10-20 minute thing. Sometimes when I offer him the boob, he takes it for 30 sec.'s, then he rolls over and falls back asleep, like he's saying, Yup, you're there, night-night. I've tried a pacifier and he just chomps on it or spits it out. He should know trust by now, shouldn't he? He slept better the first 3 months of his life. Then again, he is older and doesn't sleep as much....

Maybe I'm just looking for support. Sometimes I think I should just let him CIO, but I just can't do it. I don't immediately respond in hopes he'll drift back to sleep, and sometimes he does, but more often not. After only a couple minutes he's hacking and gagging...I just can't let that cont. when all he wants is the comfort my breast has provided since birth. I can imagine waking up alone can be scary for a little guy.

Any suggestions/advice/stories to share? I'd greatly appreciate it. He's been asleep since 9:30 and I've already had to nurse him back to sleep twice.

Thanks for reading. It's longer than I planned!

Advertisement

momof2inohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:04 PM   #2
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Re: 10 month old using me for night time comfort?

I can't offer any advice but I can totally relate my 10 month old (BTW when is your DS's birthday) is the same exact way he is I don't think I could have explained it better myself. i.e. 30 seconds and then he sleeps again to the binkie all the things you have stated are the very same for me.......Just know someday he will be daddy's little guy and you will be glad you had him loving you like this now! Good luck momma.

P.s. I don't know if you use a bottle but sometimes if I give Noah a breast milk bottle he sleeps pretty well by himself but again this is only sometimes.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:35 PM   #3
momof2inohio
Registered Users

My Mood:

I need to go to bed! I spent to much time in the nusing pic's thread, and then I saw there was a reply here. *yawn*

He'll be one year old on July 26!

He has taken a bottle before. Sometimes he plays with it and ends up wearing most of it, and other times he tends to drink them real fast and ends up with a tummy ache we think.

You are so right about him going to be a daddy's boy! When hubby comes home, Devin is staring at him, and now that he's crawling, it's a race to see who can get to dad first!

momof2inohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:44 PM   #4
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

LOL that is some thing isn't it! when the laundry room door opens Noah looks at me then crawls over any and everything to get to daddy and if he can't he yells really loud. Funny! Noah's birthday is the 17th of July! Good luck you are doing a great job and don't let it get to you! some day he will grow out of it!!!!! we can only hope!
BTW he is a handsome little bug!
Old 06-04-2006, 08:56 AM   #5
mommypooh
Registered Users

I have been through this with 2 kids right about the same age. It seems to be a Phase they go through. It is an age where so much is changing they just have to know you are right there. I promise it will pass. Jus keep responding immediatly so that you reassure them. I think it lasted close to a month with both my kids and then they started to go longer and longer inbetween their calling out. It will change I promise.
mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:06 AM   #6
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

I hope this is a short phase for you guys! I would try a different type of pacifier (that said my boys would never take any type of paci). Also is he taking late naps? Maybe he just needs a schedule tweek if you want him to sleep at a certain time. At night when my DS, a couple days younger than yours, wakes up to nurse for just a second, it is usually to pass gas or I have to prop him up for a minute to let him burp. So maybe it could be gas issues?
Prettylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:21 AM   #7
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

I went through this with my dd who is now 19 months...only sh wasn't bfing at the time...but she was waking all the time. We weren't cosleeping and so we started to but that didn't help. He's probably about to start walking and saying a few things and during times of growth (developmentally) I find my babies need me more.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:53 PM   #8
Ginamcf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommypooh
I have been through this with 2 kids right about the same age. It seems to be a Phase they go through. It is an age where so much is changing they just have to know you are right there. I promise it will pass. Jus keep responding immediatly so that you reassure them. I think it lasted close to a month with both my kids and then they started to go longer and longer inbetween their calling out. It will change I promise.
This is what I was going to say! I know it feels like an eternity but it's really just a phase. Mine went through the same thing only from about 8-10 months. It was horrible!! At some point it just stopped. He was really sick 2 weeks ago and now he is needing me alot at night again. I am not so concerned this time since I lived through this once a few months ago. Hang in there Mama. All these things will seem like they happend so long ago very soon!
Mommy to Ian (10), Gavin (3) and #3 due 3/09.
Ginamcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:19 PM   #9
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is he learning some new skills? It is typical for that age.. As they start learning more and more new things (cruising, walking, talking, fine motor skills), it can often be overwhelming for them! They start needing a little extra comfort and reassurance. It's fabulous that you're willing to respond to him and comfort him the way you are! A lot of mamas just don't have the patience for that kind of parenting, what a lucky guy! Hang in there!
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:06 PM   #10
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

No advice here, but I feel your pain mama!
My 10 month old (he'll be one on July 25th!!) is doing that too. He was up 4 times last night wanting to chew on me for a while and not wanting to sleep at all in his crib (in our room) I was about at my wits end.
I'm happy to read that several mamas say this is a phase and it will pass! I've been reading the 'No cry sleep solution' book recently trying to get some ideas on how to get him to sleep without me constantly BFing him.
No luck yet!
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote