Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
paulnkyliesmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
does anybody else have a hard time fitting in?

I have an in my eyes perfect 3 year old little boy with a speech and fine motor delay.He can be hard to manage i know but i can fiqure him out.He goes to special ed preschool 2x a week and we love his teacher, she is great.before her i always fiqured no one could ever understand or love him like i do except of course i know my husband loves him.We are going in for developmental testing at the end of the month for autism and sensory processing disorder and adhd mainly.I have thought of joining a playgroup but feel noone will be okay with us.We go to the park and storytime and stuff and people treat him like a freak cause at 3 he still babbles like a baby making little to no sense to others and has trouble with grip in his hands.I joined a playgroup when he was little but at the time he was having seizures not there but i told someone i guess in conversation and was then asked by the organizer not to come back cause if he had a seizure it would scare the other kids or possibly harm them.My heart breaks for him cause I'm really his only friend kids won't play with him except at school where they are like him.

Advertisement

paulnkyliesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: does anybody else have a hard time fitting in?

Oh mama....I'm so sorry you're having these problems. to you and your little boy! I think that kids at that age aren't being 'discriminatory' towards him, they just don't know how to respond. As far as the parents/teachers go, shame on them for treating him that way!!! Every child is special and deserves love, respect, and friendship....I hope that you can find a playgroup or something for him. Good luck mama!
Old 03-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a child in a similar situation and basically refuse to let anyone treat my DD any differently that they would theirs. She is 17 months and some moms at the baby gym we go to did a big cheer last week when I actually got my DD to stand upright holding my hands. They had never seen her do this, and she has been with the same group pretty much for five months. You have to advocate for your son, and your son will actually learn more from his able bodied peers than he will going to the pre-school program. Don't let the parents run you off, stand there and fight that your son has the same right to play.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

It sounds to me like the ignorant "adults" are having more trouble coping with your son that other children would. I'd contact a play group and explain your situation to the organizer. I hope that you can find a group that is loving and understanding. Your son would benefit tremendously from being around kids his age, and those kids would learn the right way to treat people who aren't ordinary. That's a valuable lesson that some people never learn.
ceilismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
paulnkyliesmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

it's not the kids to me.He goes right along playing but tends to stick with his sister a lot.I don't know that it bothers him till they say something but i'd rather a kid ask then anything else or even the parents.I had a little boy at the y last summer ask me what is wrong with him can't he talk and i just said he doesn't like to talk much.He seemed content with the answer.He is a good kid who doesn't hurt others but has to be told to calm down some since he tends to get hyper but hey i've always been hyper so maybe that is why we go together so well.I think it bothers me more than him.He actually does wonderful at the pool in the summer cause he loves the water and our y has sprinklers and all so he's out there with all the kids.
paulnkyliesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
happyhomemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am so sorry mama I hope you find a more accepting group.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:36 PM   #7
kissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It breaks my heart to hear that you and your son were treated that way. I do think if you keep looking you might can find a better and nicer group to expose him to. Good luck.
kissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:49 PM   #8
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is developmentaly delayed in both gross, fine and speech skills. She also has SID (Sensory Intergation Dysfunction) along with other issues like multiple food allergies, etc.... It is hard to find others that don't judge what your child is doing as far as appropiate for their age, but when you do - it is just great. The LLL meeting I attend are fully aware of all of her problems and they are very supportive and are sure to keep things that she is allergic to away from her. I usually end up bringing the snacks for the kids due to none of the others have allergies and they do like the snacks that DD can have. Most people I have talked to are interested in what is going on with her and don't understand everything and want to know. I have been around other parents that keep their child away from my DD due to she is diffrent - I feel sorry for those people, I really do. My DD has a feeding tube in her stomach (G-Button) and most people will ask about it when she pulls her shirt up (17 months old - does not know better), others will stare, and then some will just look away. I am so sorry that you are going through this and are having a hard time finding support from other adults/parents in your area. If you need some online support - feel free to PM me so we can chat.

Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

david hasnt had any problems *YET*, although his speech is understandable by few. one of the reasons imscared to put him on school system im afraid the teacher will ignore him and brush him off. he is aloner, and he can play by himself (even if there is a group next to him ) for hours. its sad though
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:59 PM   #10
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilismom View Post
It sounds to me like the ignorant "adults" are having more trouble coping with your son that other children would. I'd contact a play group and explain your situation to the organizer. I hope that you can find a group that is loving and understanding. Your son would benefit tremendously from being around kids his age, and those kids would learn the right way to treat people who aren't ordinary. That's a valuable lesson that some people never learn.
ITA I was even thinking asking your son special ed preschool teacher for any parents there that might be interested in making play group or play dates as they all might feel outcasted from other playgroups?? I would ask around and I think that is ridicualous that the organizer asked you not to come back for real he is just a kid they act like he is going to turn into a vampire or something You need a more caring enviroment for sure!!