Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
lovemybabies924
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
how long did u have latch issues?

i had my DD only a little bit early at 36-37 weeks..but we are still having latch issues...shes 3 weeks old now and finally back to birth weight but it can still take her 3min just to get latched!

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
JayJaysMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: how long did u have latch issues?

DS had issues latching until he was almost 3 months. But what I would do is, try to nurse and correct his latch, if that didn't work I would pump the rest of the day and offer him a wide nippled nurser bottle! To mimic the shape of my breast. Once he got used to the nipple on the bottle a week later I tried to get him to latch again and I didn't have to correct him at all!! So slowly I transitioned over a months time from all bottle to half and half. By the time he was three months we were just nursing and I only pumped for when we went out for the day. HOPE THIS HELPS
JayJaysMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Little Miss Kate
Registered Users
Formerly: JAMs Wife
seller

DS and I went to a lactation consultant until he was 3 months old. You may want to try a nipple sheild, as we used that for about 6 weeks and it really helped.

My BLOG - Check out the Giveaways going on now!!!
Little Miss Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
lovemybabies924
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i really dont want to do bottles..and i dont have time to pump enough w/3 other kids...and i tried a nipple shield and that was worse...she seems to do better on the right side than the left...is that just a preference thing?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
ccbelle123
Registered Users
seller

I worked w/ a LC in the hospital, and she gave me a shield to use. It was great in that it enabled LO to nurse, but it took her a lot longer as it slowed down the flow. We weaned off of it around 3 months of age (again, with the help of the LC).
ccbelle123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't like the shield either. Here is some info on why they aren't good. (not to offend those who used them with success.) Look at the last paragraph on this page http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Sore%20Nipples.asp Also, this site is AWESOME for BF'ing help of all kinds.

Anyway, I have 2 sets of twins. One set was born at 35wks and the second at 36wks. I had latching issues with 3 of them and one of them was in the NICU for 11 days. The first time, my latch issues lasted a little over 6wks. The second time, they lasted a couple weeks after he came home, so about 4 or 5wks total.

My advice is to just keep doing it at every feeding. When I had my last set of twins, I also had a 4.5 year old son and twins who were 27 months. Also, obviously, I was nursing twins. (With the first set, I had a 26 month old too) I definitely know the feeling of not having the time to pump. But, if baby isn't stimulating you enough, you need to make the time or you will lose your supply. For 6wks with my first set, I had to try to nurse, then offer a bottle, then pump at every feeding. If baby isn't gaining appropriately, you may need to use bottles. I used them with all 4 of my preemies. I had no choice. The first 2 did not latch well enough. Baby B of my second set was in the NICU. Baby A of my first set had to stay home with someone else while I went to the NICU to see baby B. (he wasn't allowed in.) They all ended up EBF with a couple bottles here and there by 7wks. My second set rarely got bottle and went several months without them. Bottles can cause problems. If you can avoid them, do. But, if you can't, you will be fine. Just don't give up. You can do it and so can your baby.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:

I had a 33 wkr (DS1) and we had latch issues for nearly 9 months. He obviously had sucking difficulty early on but when we left the hospital I hooked up with a LC and she gave me the nipple shield. That thing was my saving grace. I am an overproducer by much and the flow was SO fast a heavy he couldnt get on. I was always engorged to the point of flat nipples so there was nothing to grasp. I had to pump for a minute before I could try to get him on and that would work until my milk let down- then he was spewing out milk and I was too wet for him to grasp back onto. It was a never-ending cycle, I swear. We used the nipple shield until he was about 9 months old. That was the point my milk finally chilled out and he was able to keep up with the flow. Having to rely on on it was frustrating but I had a few of them and always kept a clean one handy (the little snack tupperwares work great!). It allowed us to nurse exclusively and that was ultimately the most important thing for him.

DS2 and I never got things down. I tried absolutely everything for 6 weeks and finally gave up when my nipple split and I was put on abx for an infection.

With DS3 I had latch pain on the right side only for about 9 weeks. It was only the second he would attach then it was gone. I know he was on correctly, my nipple was just tender and split a little from frequent nursing. After that passed, we nursed for a week shy of 2 years.

Issues are normal early on!! Breastfeeding isnt easy for the majority of mamas (and many babies!). Stick with it and reach out to someone for help if you need it!

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote