Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pain here, pain there, pain everywhere!

seriously, go to the chiropractor. some even do prenatal massages (could be covered by your insurance!)

I am very short and very huge when preggo. lots of discomfort and back issues thanks to that baby hanging way out.

Advertisement

doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
wileycolt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been miserable this time around. I am anemic, Vit D deficient, and have horrible heartburn. It takes every ounce of energy that I have to stay awake and be attentive to my 2yo. People that say they "enjoy" being pregnant are either lying or crazy. My back hurts so bad sometimes that it brings me to tears, but going to the Chiropractor fixes that for a while. I have limited visits with our new insurance and can only go about every other week (went 1-2 times a week with last pregnancy). My OB told me that going to the Chiro was perfect for that since there really is nothing else to fix it.

Hope everyone feels better.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #13
juliabell
Registered Users
seller
seller

Why is it I can always count on you guys to make me feel better!

I do sleep with a body pillow - one of those big twisty ones. I cannot imagine how much worse it would be without it. I only wish that I could sleep in it all day. It is like my cocoon. The best thing is that it allows me to sleep half on my back without getting that nauseated/passing out feeling.

Tara (and everyone else) - I'm really considering the chiropractor stuff even though I've always been sort of anti. (Everybody I know who has ever been seems to always have to go back...forever...) But the thought of a few adjustments relieving some of that pain is pure heaven sounding. And I'm glad I made you laugh! I was sort of kidding - but I can see having a huge gap in between pregnancies because of how difficult it is.

Katie - my friend did break a rib during pregnancy! She is ultra short and they had to pop it back in place. I can't EVEN imagine. I do need to switch bras.

I do think our insurance covers chiropractor visits - but maybe not massage. I'm going to ask my doc at my next appt what she thinks. My boss also recommended a prenatal yoga dvd which I think I'll get.

everyone! Glad to know we're all sorta in the same boat (no matter how sucky the boat is!)
Wife to B. Mama to M (May 2011.) Expecting #2 (July 2014!)
CD, BF, BW, Waldorf, minimalist.
juliabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #14
mama21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliabell View Post
Tara (and everyone else) - I'm really considering the chiropractor stuff even though I've always been sort of anti. (Everybody I know who has ever been seems to always have to go back...forever...) But the thought of a few adjustments relieving some of that pain is pure heaven sounding. And I'm glad I made you laugh! I was sort of kidding - but I can see having a huge gap in between pregnancies because of how difficult it is.

Katie - my friend did break a rib during pregnancy! She is ultra short and they had to pop it back in place. I can't EVEN imagine. I do need to switch bras.

I do think our insurance covers chiropractor visits - but maybe not massage. I'm going to ask my doc at my next appt what she thinks. My boss also recommended a prenatal yoga dvd which I think I'll get.

everyone! Glad to know we're all sorta in the same boat (no matter how sucky the boat is!)

This is mostly true in that our bodies are continually changing as we grow, move, hormonal changes, emotional changes, etc. They all affect our bodies which is why regular adjustments are typically best. Think of it as "maintainence" to keep you from REALLY "breaking". Western medicine is typically only concerned once you're sick/broken and then usually just give you a pill to "mask" what's really wrong instead of trying to really FIX the problem. Chiropractic care is more holistic in that they treat your entire body, not just one particular ache. It's especially useful during pregnancy as they can make sure your hips/pelvis are properly aligned for childbirth AND try to make sure the baby stays head down (or tries to get them to flip if they're breech).

Hope it's covered by your insurance and you can get some relief. The pain you're describing sounds terrible.

Bikram yoga lover and CD addict
mama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #15
Shalom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I ditto the person that spoke about stretchy bras. With my first preganancy, I also got HORRIBLE rib pain that brought me to tears! When I finally switched to a non-underwire bra (or the strechy sports ones), after two or three days the rib pain went away and never returned. I started getting it again with this pregnancy and switched (I usually only wear underwire bras!), and I never let it get to the point of tears, so I'm very grateful for stretchy bra comfort! Good luck! Pregnancy is definately NO FUN!

The hurt a troubled child creates is never greater than the hurt they feel inside. -T.
Shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #16
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

I do sleep with a body pillow - one of those big twisty ones. I cannot imagine how much worse it would be without it. I only wish that I could sleep in it all day. It is like my cocoon. The best thing is that it allows me to sleep half on my back without getting that nauseated/passing out feeling.

Yeah I hear ya. DH is fairly anti- chiro (why, I dunno as he is a D.O. and they DO learn OMM in med school - go figure).

I know you were serious, but it was still funny, cuz I feel that way too! It's like if you love pregnancy, go away. LOL!! Note the age differences in my children too...(13, 6 and this one on the way).

Just think - we're all almost there!
Old 01-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #17
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama21 View Post
This is mostly true in that our bodies are continually changing as we grow, move, hormonal changes, emotional changes, etc. They all affect our bodies which is why regular adjustments are typically best. Think of it as "maintainence" to keep you from REALLY "breaking". Western medicine is typically only concerned once you're sick/broken and then usually just give you a pill to "mask" what's really wrong instead of trying to really FIX the problem. Chiropractic care is more holistic in that they treat your entire body, not just one particular ache. It's especially useful during pregnancy as they can make sure your hips/pelvis are properly aligned for childbirth AND try to make sure the baby stays head down (or tries to get them to flip if they're breech).

Hope it's covered by your insurance and you can get some relief. The pain you're describing sounds terrible.
Well kinda. This is typically more true of MD's. DO's philosophy is different (or at least that is how they are trained) to treat the whole body and not just fix the broken spot.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #18
Salidwyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

I was in this same boat as you when I was younger. I started working in retail when I was 18 and, even though they covered all of those proper lifting techniques, I ignored them and figured I'd never have problems since it didn't hurt me then. Fast forward to 25 and pregnant... it all caught up with me! I was nervous about my first chiro appointment, which was just last month, but I LOVED him and his attitude and approach. I had been having a lot of pain in my lower back and he was able to ease that on the first visit. I can't wait to go back in February! I felt a lot better after going, though the rest of the day after the appointment, I was sore (as was DH after his). You really won't regret it at all, I promise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
I ditto the person that spoke about stretchy bras. With my first preganancy, I also got HORRIBLE rib pain that brought me to tears! When I finally switched to a non-underwire bra (or the strechy sports ones), after two or three days the rib pain went away and never returned. I started getting it again with this pregnancy and switched (I usually only wear underwire bras!), and I never let it get to the point of tears, so I'm very grateful for stretchy bra comfort! Good luck! Pregnancy is definately NO FUN!
Totally this. I only wore underwire bras before getting pregnant and at 8 weeks I was DYING and couldn't handle underwire AT ALL! Motherhood Maternity has some full coverage nursing bras (that come in S, M, L, XL, etc size wise rather than specific ones so they've been pretty flexible) that have been fantastic and weren't that expensive. They have no wire at all and a pretty good sized, stretchy band, though it will bunch up occasionally under the boobs between the ribs. The only downside is that there's no clasp so you have to lift them off over your head, which isn't bad, just hard some days when I lack energy.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #19
twolittlebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh goodness, I'm so with you on the short torso and rib pain. I also feel like I can't breathe throughout the last part of pregnancy. It sucks!! I've never been one of those adorable, tiny bump, loving pregnancy women.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #20
mamamegan841
Registered Users
seller

I have been having a lot of back pain and pubic symphasis pain. I've read that for the pubic pain I can use a warm rice sock on the area but I have yet to try it. For the back pain, I have been doing a lot of stretching, yoga, and getting on hands and knees and arching/lowering my spine (I know there is a name for this I just don't know it). If I do all of this right before going to bed I sleep so much better at night. HTH.
mamamegan841 is offline   Reply With Quote