Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

Preschool/kindergarten dilemma.

I am signing Aedan up for preschool for the fall. He will be 4 in November. I'm confident that he would do better in the 4-year old class as he knows his alphabet and can count to 12 (odd I know, but its a start! lol). The teacher said she could start him there and if there were no problems he could stay. They have a 3-year-old class, but I worry he might get bored. We have a meeting with her on Monday to get the paperwork, tour the school, and talk more.

My problem is he won't be able to start kindergarten next year because he won't be 5 before Oct. 15th which is their cut off date. Can I argue this or will it do me no good to try and get him in anyway? He will be 5 on Nov. 18th. Or should I just put him in the 3 yr old class and let him do both years of preschool and not be in the same 'class' both years....does that make sense? If he does the 4 yr old class he may have to do it two years in a row if he can't go to kindergarten, whereas, if he does the 3 yr old class he will then go to the 4 yr old class and do different things the next year.

I hope that all makes sense. I'm not sure what to do....my mom keeps trying to tell me to send him to this other preschool, but we make too much money to qualify (it's for low-income families) and they only take people that are 'over the income limit' if there aren't enough low-income kids. I've told her this about a thousand times and she just keeps pushing....I called them today and we make over twice the 'allowance' for a family of four. Not gonna happen apparently. Where we live my choices are pretty limited for preschool and I really think he needs that environment so that he can be ready for the kindergarten experience. Right now when he is around other kids he just wants to play, and I want him to understand the difference before kindergarten starts.

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
jackie010307
Registered Users
seller

Re: Preschool/kindergarten dilemma.

Is it an actual learning environment, or just to get kids used to being in a different environment with a teacher and other kids? Michael went to pre-kindergarten and Isaiah will start this fall, but they have spring/summer birthday respectively so they started kindergarten the year after. If it's just getting used to being in a different environment I would probably leave him in the 4 year old class as long as he does ok. If it's an actual learning environment then I would think about it. If it's about learning is there a way you can compare the cirriculum from each class to see which he would do better with?
jackie010307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

They actually do learning activities and stuff. I'm not yet sure of the curriculum as I haven't actually been there yet. I just talked to her over the phone. I know a couple of moms that have taken their kids there and it is well recommended. I'm kinda starting to think I'll just put him in the 3 year old class and go with it...it'll only be two days a week. The 4 yr old class is 3 days and I'm afraid that if he has to do that class twice he will get bored with school too fast.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
jackie010307
Registered Users
seller

It is a hard decision.....either he might be bored next year if he does the class twice, or he might be bored this year if he's really ready for the 4 year old class. Will they let you change if you think he will do better in the other one?
Old 03-16-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
KarenK
Registered Users

Don't forget that preschool isn't just about academics. It's about learning social interaction and group behavior too. While kids may seem ready for a class older than their actual age they may not be emotionally ready which is what a 3 year old class is excellent for- laying the foundation for a successful behavioral and academic school experience. While he may be confident in his basics like letters, numbers, colors, etc. it's equally important that he be ready socially and emotionally too. Being ahead of some children isn't all bad either, he can start a school setting feeling confident in a very well-rounded way. Being ahead doesn't necessarily mean being held back in this situation. Boys mature at a different pace than girls do so being one of the older ones in his class may not be a bad thing.

I have a son who is one of the youngest in his class (born in May) and a daughter who is one of the oldest in hers (October). Had they been reversed, based on their personalities - not intellect - I would have kept my son back a year. While he spoke well, was toilet trained, knew his letters, numbers, colors, and was ready in all kinds of ways he would have been emotionally not ready for an older group of children.

It's hard when your child is the oldest among his peers when they are under four years of age. The developmental contrasts can still seem so stark. My daughter ran circles around her classmates at church and only now at age 3 1/2 are they finally starting to seem closer in how they relate to one another. She may seem ahead of them right now but I know she is right where she needs to be in so many ways.

Your son is YOURS and you know him best. These are just my observations having been through educational settings for several years. I'm sure you'll make the right decisions for him.

Sewing is my therapy.
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
bayspumpkin
Registered Users

My son is in a mixed age/ability level class where he knows a lot more than the other kids and he doesn't get bored. He really loves it. This is his 2nd year in a preschool & the stuff they send home is always stuff I've already taught him or he did last year. He just likes school; at that age there is just a lot of playing, crafts, and practice writing. Things that a child won't really mind doing over.

What is my big concern with my son, & you might want to think about too, is maturity level. Being a summer baby, he was a bit younger than the other kids in his class last year & he didn't fit in very well. He was very immature & I witnessed the other kids taking advantage of that. This year he is among the older kids, and is looked on as a role model *most of the time*. Our cut off date for kindergarten is actually in July, & I wish it were even earlier, so I wouldn't have to decide whether or not he should go to kindergarten next year. Academically he is more than ready, he really wants to go, and they won't let him stay in the preschool program because he will be technically old enough for kindergarten. However, I don't know if he will be mature enough. He will go back to being the youngest in the class again. Things I've heard is that even if they don't have a problem in kindy, problems can start to arise around 2nd grade. It is most noticeable with boys too. So, if it were me, I definitely, wouldn't push to have him in kindergarten if he can go to preschool another year & I would probably put him in the 3 year old class too. My son knows who is going to kindy and so it is going to be tough if I decide he can't move on with the other 5 year olds when the time comes. If your son starts off with the 3 year olds, he will probably be with the same kids at 4 years old and not feel like he was left behind when the other kids go to kindergarten. JMHO.

Last edited by bayspumpkin; 03-16-2007 at 04:48 PM. Reason: crazy typos due to baby in lap hope I got them all
bayspumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:51 PM   #7
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would put him in the 3yr old class. Chances are there will be alot of early b-days just like your sons (my twins are nov. 9th and were in the 3yr old class this year.....but there were b-days before them and alot around christmas and new years).

Where my kids go the 3yr old class deals with coping in an educational environment for the first half of the year and starts phonics the second half (with lots and lots of playing all year). The next class up starts right in on the phonics and more academic stuff.

Our cut-off is actually dec. 2. So my big descision was kindergarten or pre-k. We chose kindergarten....just keep telling yourself what I keep telling myself. Chances are you won't mess them up at this early of an age.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
momto2boysinOnt
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenK View Post
It's hard when your child is the oldest among his peers when they are under four years of age.
It's hard on the other end too. Around here, the cut off for school (and sports teams, and any "age grouped" activities is December 31. DS1 was born December 30. He has motor planning issues that sometimes make it hard for him to keep up with others his age. Most of his friends were born in Feb/March of the following year, so they're only 2-3 months younger than him, but they will be a year behind him in school and on different sports teams. He has a hard enough time keeping up with them, I have no idea how he'll keep up with kids born the same year as him, seeing as some of them will be nearly a year older than him. I know that the differences will get smaller as they get older, but it is hard now.

In many respects, I wish that preschools did more multi-age groupings. I think it would work out so much better for lots of kids. After all, the cut-offs are arbitrary (as you can see by the variability depending on location). The only problem is that here, they are set in stone. I've already been told that DS1 has to start Grade 1 in September, 2008 (when he is 5 going on 6) because that is set in Ontario law.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:53 PM   #9
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

I faced the kindergarten dilemma too. In the city were we lived my DS would be eligible for kindergarten this fall, but in the town a live in (same school division) he can't go for another year because cut off is a month earlier. It's highly frusterating but he doesn't care. He'll go to playschool twice a week and I'll continue to homeschool. I warned the kindergarten teacher he'd probably be bored since he already will know how to write and hopefully be at least beginning to read but I can't fight it. Socially I can see the benefit. I hope you figure it all out.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:14 AM   #10
DiapeyMom
Registered Users
seller

My vote is for the 3 year old class. I'm sure there are other kids in the same dilemma. So, your dc will not be the only one. I think it would be great for him to move up to the 4 year old class next year. It will give him a sense of accomplishment and feeling of growing up. My dd is almost 3 and she started going to preschool in September. Her whole class just moved up to the 2.5 year old room in January and she was all excited. She always told me she loves her new classroom and she still has her same friends so it wasn't too hard to adjust too. She had a difficult time adjusting at first. So, staying with the same kids and moving up was great for her. She was nervous when I told her about it, but then when she realized that she would still be with her friends she was excited.

Also remember that pushing is not always the best thing to do. My parents had teh option to move me up 2 grade levels, but chose not to. I'm glad they didn't. I would have felt out of place. I was one of the youngest in my class at the time.

Being ahead of the learning curve is great and will help him out. I don't know about where you live, but the school system here is very strict with the birthday cutoff for the younger ones. Older is ok, but younger is not. You may want to check into that. Good luck whatever you decide. It's so hard when you are starting out--I know, I visited 10 preschools before deciding on the right one!