Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
senorajkids
Registered
seller
seller

Progesterone shots anyone??? Update post #8

My OB has now put me on terbutaline 4x daily and progesterone pills at night. I also have to take a weekly shot of progesterone. Has anyone else ever had to do the shot or progesterone pills? Are there any side effects I should be aware of?

I have a partial abruption and loads of contractions. I have a history of pre-term deliveries. My last pg had an abruption as well. I thought his was more significant b/c I was bleeding out. With this pg I am clotting into the amniotic fluid. You can just see all the debris and clots floating around in there.

I am so not a needle person but will do what is necessary to carry Addison to term. I just want to know what I am in for.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Last edited by senorajkids; 01-21-2011 at 01:42 PM.
senorajkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Julesboch
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Progesterone shots anyone???

Oh sweetie I remember those nasty shots. The only thing they did to me was make me super witchy for a couple days. I also was on antibiotics 4X a day and a progesterone pill. The only thing I remember from YDD is that I was not very friendly for a couple days after getting the shot and was a bit more hormonal than usual.

That is so hard to be on bed rest and watch from the couch what is happening I felt so lonely even though people were around. One suggestion though since you will be off your feet I highly recommend getting some compression stockings they help a ton with sore legs and help to prevent blood clots.

Good luck!
Old 01-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
nml12903
Registered Users
seller

I'm on the weekly P17 shots along with weekly ultrasound to check cervical length. I was for my last child too. My first baby was full term, and my second was born at 33 weeks. PTL started with my third at 26 weeks even with the shots.

The only side affects I have experienced are for about 3 days after my shots, my legs are super jumpy! I can barely sleep because I can't stop kicking (which mean my DH can barely sleep as well!)

I also get to give myself insulin shots a million times a day! And, I HATE NEEDLES!!! lol
nml12903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
senorajkids
Registered
seller
seller

I am hoping that they are worth it as I am phobic when it comes to needles. I have also heard that they hurt quite a bit going in. Is this true? Are they worse than a tetanus?

I will get a couple pair of compression socks thanks for that info.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
Julesboch
Registered Users

My Mood:

They are sore for a little bit but no worse than a flu shot.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had progesterone pills with DD2. It just made my morning sickness worse, but that was about the only SE I had.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
nml12903
Registered Users
seller

The reason they hurt going in is because they have to be injected into a muscle. Plus, P17 is a gel, so the needle is pretty big. Honestly though, last time I had them they hurt horrilby bad, they injection site bled a lot, and I ended up with horrible black bruises every week! This time, they don't hurt nearly as bad! I think they actually hurt less than a flu shot (maybe because I don't have them injected into my arm!)
nml12903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
senorajkids
Registered
seller
seller

Re: Progesterone shots anyone??? Update post #8

Oh goody can't wait to have my first one. NOT! The things that we mothers do for our children. I only hope they understand and appreciate one day.

On top of all this my Dr. just called and said that my Lupus antibody test came back positive. Now I have to research my family and see if there is any Lupus or other autoimmune disease. She said that there is a correlation of patients who test positive and pre-term labor and abruptions. Can this pg get any more complicated?
Old 01-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugh.....FWIW, though, my mom and her sister always test positive for the lupus thing, but it isn't lupus - has to do with their thyroid.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #10
mommy2fourmunchkins
Registered Users
seller

Are you doing them yourself or at the dr's? I went in for them with DD and they hurt and left me sore for a few days after. With the twins I did them myself at home and was told to warm the area and the shot. Let me tell ya, it made a world of difference! I was rarely sore from them. Not the same, but with this pregnancy I had to do 2cc's daily while cycling through 10 weeks of pregnancy. I rotated sides daily and made sure to use heat before and after the shots. I got sore, of course, but in the end it wasn't as bad as it was for some! As for other side effects, I was pretty emotional, but I'm one who doesn't do well on birth control for that reason! HTH at least a little.
mommy2fourmunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote