Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
Shalom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What Makes People Think it's OK To Say That?

Ok, so maybe I'm a little hormonal, and maybe this is the wrong place to post this (if so, please delete it and let me know for the future :-) But I have to rant a little and ask if I'm just taking it personally, or do I have a reason to be offended?

So I'm six months pregnant and as big as a house and so everyone (strangers mostly, but also some people at church) are asking me how far along I am. Then they look at my nine month old daughter and ask how old she is.....and then comes the comments..... "Wow! You guys didn't waste any time, did you!" or "This one must be an accident, huh?!" Etc etc.

What makes people think it's ok to say that? I think it's highly rude, but again, let me know if I'm just hormonal about everything. But seriously I'm tired of getting those comments SEVERAL TIMES A DAY!!! People are so inconsiderant!! I don't want this baby to feel that it is an accident because it's not, and I'm tired of the rabbit jokes and similar comments coming out. Does anyone else have or have had this problem? I'm not quick to come up with something clever to say back, so I just stew and move on. I just wish people would STOP. (THanks for listening!)

Advertisement

The hurt a troubled child creates is never greater than the hurt they feel inside. -T.
Shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
Julesboch
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What Makes People Think it's OK To Say That?

I truly understand my two are 12 months apart and I always get the "Whoops", "You weren't wasting anytime", or "You're brave". They are now 2 and 3 and I pretty much shrug it off or say "We are so lucky since they are best friends".

It will be super annoying for awhile but just take it in stride
Old 01-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Lexy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My first 2 are 11mo.3wks. apart, and I got it ALL the time. It didn't bother me at all though...we purposely tried to get pregnant, and I viewed it as a compliment. Yes, I didn't waste anytime...and I'm glad didn't. #2 and #3 are 15mo. exactly apart and I got it all the time with them also. I think it just shocks people, and they blurt out whatever but don't mean anything by it.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have no clue why people have diarrhea of the mouth. My older two aren't even as close as yours (16 mos), but I get it all the time. Just wait because it gets better... I would be holding my 18mo's hand and carrying my 1mo and people would ask me if they were twins. Uh, REALLY?! Take a second look because it's obvious they're not...

This last Christmas I was complaining to a group of ladies at Church how difficult it is to find a nice maternity dress for my husband's squadron Christmas party. She looked at me and said, "Well, you're not super big. You could get a regular dress and just look a little fat in it."

I'm sorry you're getting it all the time. Just tell them that you're happy they'll be close so they will be best of friends and walk away.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
watermelon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always assume that people that say such insensitive things must be dissatisfied with their own lives! Congratulations on your close blessings!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
BabySnickerdoodles
Registered Users
Formerly: Generalsgirl08
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well..kinda the same situation happened to me...

Me and hubby courted for like, 5 years before we got married, and we were both from large families and knew we wanted to start a family pretty quickly. We didn't use and BC and finally 4 months after our wedding, YAY! We were Preggo! I was so excited!

When I was 3 months along, we visited my old church, and a couple of youth leaders I had worked with asked what I had been telling this one girl, and I said, "Oh, well I'm expecting a baby!" They both looked at each other disgustedly...one said "Pff...Oh my gosh!", and the other said, "You sure don't waste any time...I guess you'll be just like your mom, a baby machine"

I was so PO that I said, "Actually, it was planned, and actually, we are really excited about it", and walked off.

The nerve of some people......

I get sick of the comments too...but you have to SHOW them that your attitude is decidedly against theirs, and then they will feel foolish instead of you
Ready to Shop for Woolies? Check out Baby Snickerdoodles on Hyena Cart
BabySnickerdoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
mommy2fourmunchkins
Registered Users
seller

I enjoy embarrassing people if they get into my business like that. I have a 5 yr old, 3 yr old, and 17 month old twins plus my belly. No, it's not mine but I don't feel like explaining the situation to everyone we pass. We've had the " Wow, you are going to be busy" "Don't you know what causes that?" "You're having another one?!" My best response "Yea, we really like sex" It usually shuts `em up!
mommy2fourmunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
*Amy*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2fourmunchkins View Post
I enjoy embarrassing people if they get into my business like that. I have a 5 yr old, 3 yr old, and 17 month old twins plus my belly. No, it's not mine but I don't feel like explaining the situation to everyone we pass. We've had the " Wow, you are going to be busy" "Don't you know what causes that?" "You're having another one?!" My best response "Yea, we really like sex" It usually shuts `em up!
LOL!! I love that answer.
& Baby # 3 EDD 8/30/13
*Amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #9
Mama4Ways
Registered Users

Yeah. That. We get a lot of comments for this pregnancy, and that we are open that we are going to actively ttc again soon after. I've said more than once to rude comments of "omg, really? at your age?" or "dont you have enough?" things like,

"Well, we figure that my husband's swimmers have some serious GPS and motivation, and we wouldnt be able to stop them anyway...."

Im too shy to say something about really liking sex... but I need to keep that in mind! LOLOL

Last edited by Mama4Ways; 01-21-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Mama4Ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #10
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is totally rude! I get ya, although we are just the opposite. My oldest is almost 14, then we have a 6 yo and this one. We CONSTANTLY get comments about taking our time, or how slow we are, etc.
Annoying as all get out, isn't it?