Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
kutie.pie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What happened to hotslings?

I must be out of the loop, but I thought they were doing great, the AP just came out about a year or so ago (which I totally love!). Does anyone know what happened or why?

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
cboytitan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What happened to hotslings?

I think it had something to do with the recall of some Infantanio slings. It just made it too difficult for her to continue business.

Someone else prob has more info about it.

cboytitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, in a word, Infantino.

Short version: Government finally got around to investigating deaths in Infantino Slingriders (after THREE years of people bringing it to their attention!) Government freaks out that babies are DYING in "slings." Government decides that all "slings" must be bad. Government issues recall on Infantino Slingriders and issues a caution against using "slings" for babies under four months. Government starts to make life VERY difficult for anyone manufacturing a product that might possibly be referred to as a "sling." Hotslings comes under particular scrutiny as a mass-marketed and very popular product. Mumbles of a recall are passed around. Rather than see her business crushed bit by bit by an organization that knows nothing about safe babywearing, Hotslings decides to go out of business.

Of course, through all this, Infantino Slingriders have been the only mass-marketed ones recalled... the several other slings on the market with the EXACT SAME design are still available. Arrrggggghhhh.

Google "Baby Carrier Industry Alliance" for more info.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
kutie.pie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much for the information. That's so sad about hotslings. I think people should understand that just like everything else, you get what you pay for, and that includes slings.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
clover
Registered Users
seller

In addition to the ripple effect of the "sling" recalls and warnings by the CPSC, Hotslings also had production issues which caused a strain on the company. That combined with the slow sales of last year after the whole Infantino debacle made it hard for the company to stay in business. It was a sad and sudden closure, but I know Kristin of Hotslings did what she thought was best both for her family and her business.
clover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
JuneBaby
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by clover View Post
In addition to the ripple effect of the "sling" recalls and warnings by the CPSC, Hotslings also had production issues which caused a strain on the company. That combined with the slow sales of last year after the whole Infantino debacle made it hard for the company to stay in business. It was a sad and sudden closure, but I know Kristin of Hotslings did what she thought was best both for her family and her business.
That makes me so sad and frustrated. I really hate mainstream brands that jump on any bandwagon that have NO business making particular products.
JuneBaby is offline   Reply With Quote