Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2011, 03:01 AM   #1
navywife79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Picky toddler

Do any of you have any suggestions on recipes for dinner with a very picky toddler? He won't eat ANY fruits or veggies. His main issue is texture of food, so I tend to hide pureed veggies in things. But, I need some new recipes.

Advertisement

navywife79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
bfuzzy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Picky toddler

My ODS has/had texture issues with food. He has SPD. I like you I used to hide purees in his food so he was getting his veggies. I also hide flax meal in food as well. You can put into baked goods, pasta sauce, soup, pretty much anything. I usually find that my kids will eat raw veggies better than cooked ones. So I offer a cut up veggie with every meal. Does your DS like ranch or anything so he can dip his veggies in something. Seriously my DD likes to dip her carrots in ketchup. Just keep offering in small amounts.
As for recipes for dinner start with kid friendly foods. Pastas seem to be what kids like. You could make homemade chicken nuggets/tenders, etc. My motto is keep it simple but nutritious. You can always expand off your simple when he gets to eating more varieties of food. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
blackberry75
Registered Users

I've found cutting veggies into fun shapes works. It's kinda a pain in the tush, but as long as he's eating healthy food it's all good. I'm saving up swagbucks so I can get an Amazon gift card and order these to make my life easier.

What textures does he have issues with? LO tends to go through phases where he only wants pureed foods or only crunchy, etc. He's huge into eggs right now, so I make him deviled eggs using veggie puree' instead of mayo. I don't think it taste very good, but he likes. Smoothies are always a big hit. I put spinach, fruit, flax seed meal, ice and water in a blender. You can use any veggies/fruit too. If you use carrots though, cook them first. Otherwise they give a rough texture to the smoothie. All hard veggies like that will. Green leafy veg work really well. If you want to add sweetness to it, try honey or agave instead of sugar.

Edit
Shoot, I just reread your post and you said dinner recipes. My bad. I'm as lost there as you are.

Last edited by blackberry75; 01-22-2011 at 12:08 PM.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:16 AM   #5
navywife79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the suggestions. First of all I live on a military base in Japan, so produce is VERY expensive and not great. I am able to get some fresh stuff in the community, but again it is very expensive ($5 for about 10 strawberries). He doesn't like the texture of any berry. I have given him carrots but once he bits it he spits it out. If I give him yogurt it can't have chunks of fruit. I have been giving him Naked juice, since I can't make it with all that fruit for as cheap as the juice is, but our commissary just stopped stocking it. I have tried the Otawalla juice instead, but I don't like it as much.

For those of you with kids who have texture issues, does it get better? I get so discouraged sometimes.
navywife79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
bfuzzy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by navywife79 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. First of all I live on a military base in Japan, so produce is VERY expensive and not great. I am able to get some fresh stuff in the community, but again it is very expensive ($5 for about 10 strawberries). He doesn't like the texture of any berry. I have given him carrots but once he bits it he spits it out. If I give him yogurt it can't have chunks of fruit. I have been giving him Naked juice, since I can't make it with all that fruit for as cheap as the juice is, but our commissary just stopped stocking it. I have tried the Otawalla juice instead, but I don't like it as much.

For those of you with kids who have texture issues, does it get better? I get so discouraged sometimes.
For us it has gotten much better! I am not sure how old your DS is but when mine turned 5 (july) his food preferences changed and for the better. I am not sure if his maturity has helped, but he is more willing to try new things and getting his involvement in preparing meals has helped as well.

it is hard but dont beat yourself up over it. Just keep offering what you can. As long as he is eating and eating healthy he will be fine. I found even for myself that things I didnt care for as a child, I do like now so I guess it goes to show our food preferences do change.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
LaraLea
Registered Users
seller

We are having the same issues. He won't eat anything unless it's smooth (yougart oatmeal) or crunchy (crackers and cookies). I'm thinking of trying to bake more, maybe carrot cookies?
LaraLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
jguilford
Registered Users
seller

You can sneak a lot into smoothies. Not ideal for a meal, but with flax, yogurt, and fruit, it is balanced.
jguilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #9
jguilford
Registered Users
seller

Also, my daughter loves dipping. Naan bread in hummus always works for us.
jguilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
MomdeIsla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love Jessica Seinfield's book "Deceptively Delicious" (I found it at my library) I hide steamed califlower puree in DD MacNCheese, spinach in brownies, carrots in meatloaf.....also spinach puree in pizza sauce with lots of cheese.....she won't touch a raw veggie....while DS eats salads and gets mad if we run out of it. I make my purees ahead of time and freeze them in half cup baggies (bought when produce is on sale).