Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
usmcwifeymissinghim
Registered Users
seller

Grr... this stinking rash!

About a month ago DS got a little rash(two spots about the size of dimes that look like burns). We took him to the doctor and got yeast cream. After a few weeks that rash hadn't gone away so we took him back. The doc didn't really know what it was so he told us to put him in disposables and gave us a cream for burns, antibacterial cream and an oral yeast treatment. The rash quickly went away... so after a few days we switched him back to cloth. We are continuing the creams and oral meds but the rash is coming back!

Now my DH is fed up and wants DS out of cloth..

DS turned two in Dec.. should I push potty training? Give up on cloth? Try different cloth dipes? Do you have a stripping suggestion?

PS... While DS was in disposables I washed his diapers 5 times with no soap to try and strip them.

Advertisement

usmcwifeymissinghim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Grr... this stinking rash!

Where does the rash occur and what kind of cloth diapers are you currently using?

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
aidensmommyathome
Registered Users
seller

Can you try something like boiling water in the washer and vinegar to kill the bacteria if any? When all else fails I turn to boilding water and vinegar. You can let them soak in vinegar overnight in the washer...that seems to help sometimes...then do a hot wash (add in a pot of boiling water)...and then a cold rinse and second cold rinse? Just washing doesn't always do it for me...it normally has to be vinegar and hot water. I never use dawn or soaps or anything. Seems to just make it worse. I've never had any issues with the FBOS or BGOS I have now...or any of my prefolds...but I did have some Babykicks that were NIGHTMARES to prep...and lead to stripping issues...and the only thing that would work was boiling and vinegar.

What kind of dipes are you using?
aidensmommyathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
usmcwifeymissinghim
Registered Users
seller

I use mostly BG AIOs and Thirsties AIOs during the day but I also have bottom bumpers aios. If we are going out i'll add a knickernappies staydry hemp doubler. At night I use FB perfect size. I have a FL washer so could I soak them in a bucket or something... then do a hot wash?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
usmcwifeymissinghim
Registered Users
seller

The spots are between his *eek* balls and legs... on both sides.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcwifeymissinghim View Post
The spots are between his *eek* balls and legs... on both sides.
Do you think maybe they are from chafing...are they on his inner thighs where the diaper would rub his leg?

My DS gets a chafing or eczema (not really certain the cause) rash on his inner thighs, and I've found that the best way to clear it up fast is applying hydrocortisone ointment or putting him into sposies for a day or two. Once it's clear, he stays pretty clear as long as I apply Northern Essence Sensitive Skin Diaper Salve to the area at every diaper change.

Another thought I had is, if the rash is right where the elastic rubs his skin, maybe he's reacting to the elastic? Do you have PFs that you could try to see if that helps?

Last edited by boysniris; 01-23-2011 at 10:42 PM.
boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote