Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
What foods do i start first?

I started DD on oatmeal baby cereal a couple days ago because I thought that it was the best. Now I read that I should start her on sweet potatoes or bananas because she is EBF. What did you do?

Advertisement

Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:04 AM   #2
kameroosky
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What foods do i start first?

I started DS on baby oatmeal too but that only lasted one day. Then I went to squash and sweet potatoes. The only thing I was told to do was to start with the orange vegetables first.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
mari.b
Registered Users
seller

DS started on grilled chicken fingers, green beans, and acorn squash We did blw, but really I don't think there is a hard, fast rule anymore of what to start first as long as DC is old enough. I know a lot of people who start on bananas and avocado first.

Baker's Bargain Boutique - my little piece of ebay
mari.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

We did rice cereal for a day or two, then avocadoes, sweet potato, bananas, carrots, peas, applesauce, mango, pear, butternut squash, and green beans (in that order). That's where we are right now.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:51 AM   #5
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

We did avocado and sweet potatoes. We did do veggies and fruits before the grains, but I know a lot of people who do grains first.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:55 AM   #6
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

We don't do baby cereals. For our oldest I started with a bit of mashed avocado, then banana, sweet potato and then a few other fruits/veggies. My youngest we did BLW and I believe she had a chunk of avocado and a couple of black beans her first meal.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Does it matter? I've heard the veggies before fruit to keep baby from getting a sweet tooth, I've heard rice cereal first because it's most gentle, I've heard orange veggies first (for what reason??), my doctor even told me that research is showing that introducing gluten between 4 and 6 months helps reduce allergies.....how does a person really know? Everyone seems to have an opinion and they are all different.

If the baby likes the rice cereal and doesn't seem to be reacting to it, then why not keep feeding it? You can add other things in one at a time. Or mix them with the cereal. That's what we do/did with our first child. I think we started older dd on squash with rice cereal and the baby is 5 1/2 months and just started oatmeal and carrots and squash within the last couple of weeks (because it's the only things I had on hand). I wouldn't know if that's the wrong order if it hit me directly in the head.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty View Post
Does it matter? I've heard the veggies before fruit to keep baby from getting a sweet tooth, I've heard rice cereal first because it's most gentle, I've heard orange veggies first (for what reason??), my doctor even told me that research is showing that introducing gluten between 4 and 6 months helps reduce allergies.....how does a person really know? Everyone seems to have an opinion and they are all different.

If the baby likes the rice cereal and doesn't seem to be reacting to it, then why not keep feeding it? You can add other things in one at a time. Or mix them with the cereal. That's what we do/did with our first child. I think we started older dd on squash with rice cereal and the baby is 5 1/2 months and just started oatmeal and carrots and squash within the last couple of weeks (because it's the only things I had on hand). I wouldn't know if that's the wrong order if it hit me directly in the head.

I have to agree with this. Like adult dietary guidelines, advice seems to change pretty regularly re: infant diets (in my pretty informal take on things having read various books, etc...). The only consistent thing seems to be stay away from honey until after age 1.

We just picked what seemed to be easily digestible foods and gave them in the order that we happened to have them on hand.... (except the rice cereal, which we introduced first because that's what our pediatrician suggested, and we just didn't question it at the time).

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
What is BLW?
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #10
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mama View Post
What is BLW?
Baby-led weaning

I skipped the "baby cereals" and went to sweet potatoes and bananas, I think. I just picked a couple foods that I thought would be palatable to a baby who had never eaten such a thing before. Oh, I tried avocados too but both of my kids spit it out as if I had just offered them rat poison...