Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2011, 01:59 AM   #1
kameroosky
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy DS has BMs multiple times every night :(

DS has been eating solids for about a month now and he seems to have more BMs then before. His poor bum is so red and raw and he screams everytime I change him. Just recently he began having BMs through out the night. He wakes up screaming and its almost tramatic changing him. It takes up to two hours to get him back to sleep. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on what I should do?

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 05:07 AM   #2
mommyto2girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DS has BMs multiple times every night :(

if this all started when he started solids I would start with rulling out what he's eating
Old 01-24-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
Havah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto2girls View Post
if this all started when he started solids I would start with rulling out what he's eating
How old is your DS? (Sorry I didn't think to check your siggy) ... sounds like a form of IBS. He might not be ready for solids, or at least certain ones.
~~~~
Yikes, started this and got interrupted.
I only meant to add that we never "caught on" to our DS' food sensitivities until he was 3 1/2 and PL'ing was not going well. Better that you be able to troubleshoot your little man's sensitivities now than later ...
So sorry mama!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the PP, sounds like too early for solids. I would probably recommend cutting out the solids and then adding them back in slowly, one at a time (if you aren't already doing that) and not to add new things more often than every 2 weeks or so. Also, perhaps waiting a few weeks to start solids back at all might give his bum and bowels a chance to become less inflamed.

I worked at a daycare for YEARS and we saw the "irritable bowel" thing all the time when solids were started before the child's digestive readiness. People act like it's normal and that baby's digestive tract will eventually "catch up". Seems like a recipe for future problems to me.

For those reasons I decided to delay solids with all of my babies and it was a completely seamless transition; bowel movements changed very little (except when we introduced tomatoes to my middle child--he was obviously NOT READY for those!). So I would definitely take what you are experiencing as a sign that a little backtracking is required.

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Definitely sounds like a food sensitivity. Fruit and oatmeal are common offenders. What is he eating?
Old 01-25-2011, 03:18 AM   #6
jessiak
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When we were having BM issues (also a month after starting solids) I cut all my DD's solids down. I started back at square one with cereal. (Our issue was constipation, not BM's at night though - also traumatic because it caused so much pain) We found out that our DD needs extra fiber in her diet. Maybe its something simple like that, a small adjustment. We only found out because of starting back at square one, and doing the 4 day rule, once again. It's tedious and annoying, but I'm so greatful we found out what was causing it. As for the raw sore bum, we had the same problem. We tried penaten cream, along with a few more kinds, and then I decided to try Lansinoh nipple cream. It started working within a day. I really hope your LO feels better soon.

ETA:
is he waking up because of the raw bum, and his BM hurts the raw bum, or is he waking up because the actual act of BMing is painful?

Last edited by jessiak; 01-25-2011 at 03:21 AM.
jessiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
kameroosky
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
Definitely sounds like a food sensitivity. Fruit and oatmeal are common offenders. What is he eating?
He's eating carrots, alvacado, sweet potatoes, green beans, bananas, apples, pears, and peaches. I think we will start back at the beginning to see what is causing the problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiak View Post
When we were having BM issues (also a month after starting solids) I cut all my DD's solids down. I started back at square one with cereal. (Our issue was constipation, not BM's at night though - also traumatic because it caused so much pain) We found out that our DD needs extra fiber in her diet. Maybe its something simple like that, a small adjustment. We only found out because of starting back at square one, and doing the 4 day rule, once again. It's tedious and annoying, but I'm so greatful we found out what was causing it. As for the raw sore bum, we had the same problem. We tried penaten cream, along with a few more kinds, and then I decided to try Lansinoh nipple cream. It started working within a day. I really hope your LO feels better soon.

ETA:
is he waking up because of the raw bum, and his BM hurts the raw bum, or is he waking up because the actual act of BMing is painful?
I think he's waking up because the raw bum. It was starting to look better yesterday but this morning it went back to how it had been. I'll try the lanolin cream on him today.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

[QUOTE=kameroosky;12132137]He's eating carrots, alvacado, sweet potatoes, green beans, bananas, apples, pears, and peaches. I think we will start back at the beginning to see what is causing the problems.

QUOTE]

Yummy! Apples, pears, and peaches jump out at me as ones that might need to be cut out for now. Starting back at the beginning is a good idea. When my babies got burning poop, I would express milk and put that on their irritated bum at every diaper change.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
swingkid1975
Registered Users

Yup, you have to be careful with the "p" foods (peaches, pears, plums) as they cause pooping. We had the same issue when DD started on solids. I would start by cutting back on those. I would cut them out entirely for a few days to let things get back to normal. Then I would add 1 at a time back in, only 1 serving per day.

We still have issues if she eats too many grapes and we're dealing with diarrhea and diaper rash right now.