Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2007, 09:51 PM   #1
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

Question Britax installation question??

We just got a Britax Boulevard. The piece that closes around the seatbelt (sort of like a locking clip) keeps coming undone. Dh says it is to hold the seatbelt down?

Are we installing it improperly or is it defective? Dh spent a lot of time reading the book and installing. He showed me that the seat is still solid in there but why does this piece keep popping open?

I need to find a carseat checkpoint to go to but for now I thought I would see if anyone knew?

Advertisement

momovthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
Sage Bebe
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Britax installation question??

I am not really sure what you are discribing but I have a marathon and roudabout and there is a clip that hold the seat belt tight and I think it is important that it stays shut.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
milehighmonkeys
Registered Users
Formerly: ultconsumer

I wouldn't think it should pop open. You can have your carseats checked at your local fire dept., too.
milehighmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #4
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have the same seat and the same problem. Are you installing it rear-facing, too? I took ours to the police dept. to be installed. The officer (car seat safety certified) said that we would be better off not using the clips at all - she said that they are just there to help you get it installed, but that as long as the seat belt was on tight enough it would be OK. (She literally climbed into the seat and kneeled her full weight on it while I helped tighten down the seat belt.) She said the way those clips are positioned they would just keep popping open and probably eventually break with the seat belt as tight as it needs to be. So, we just closed the clips, and ran the belt outside of them. Does that make sense?

Of course, I'm not sure if your seat belt set-up is the same as ours. The best thing to do is to call around to see who in your area does car seat safety checks. Fire Depts or police stations are usual areas. Get an appointment and they can then personally recommend what is best for your set-up.

Good luck!
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:02 AM   #5
mrsjune
Banned
seller

My Mood:

We have the same clips and we dont use them. They are more important to use if your using a shoulder belt and not a lap belt.
mrsjune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:47 AM   #6
bluebonnet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have the marathon and have the same problem. I'm also a car seat technician. I read the directions and still didn't feel any more wise, so I called Britax and they said that the locking clips are optional. They are not necessary for installation. That if you car can securely get the seat in w/o the locking clip then you are fine. If your car seat belt does NOT get the car seat in securely then you NEED the locking clips. She said if my car does not get the seat in securely AND I still cannot lock the clips, then the car seat is not a good fit for my car and I should look at getting a different seat.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:06 AM   #7
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the responses!

We are using it rearfacing with a belt that is a shoulder and lap belt. The seat is nice and snug in there even when that pops open. We have a Mazda MPV. I'll definitely be double checking for a seat check in our area but it makes me feel better that if the seat is snug than that clip is optional. Thank you!
momovthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:26 PM   #8
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momovthree View Post
Thanks for all the responses!

We are using it rearfacing with a belt that is a shoulder and lap belt. The seat is nice and snug in there even when that pops open. We have a Mazda MPV. I'll definitely be double checking for a seat check in our area but it makes me feel better that if the seat is snug than that clip is optional. Thank you!
Yes, definately get it checked because my seat belt is a lap only belt (no attached shoulder strap) and so that may mean what is OK for my seat is not necessarily the same for yours.
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #9
Austinsmamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

From reading my manuel I'm pretty sure you only need to use them if your seatbelt doesn't lock If the seatbelt locks then you have nothing to worry about and you can just leave them shut.
Austinsmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:07 PM   #10
huggerwocky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOL....what a coincidence, we just installed the boulevard today also and it took 2 friggin' hours to get the belt in there so the thing would lock and not pop open...I kept shaking the seat to check

It's pretty tight at the base but I can move the top part of the seat so I think we'll also tether it.

I was so frustrated today !