Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
somamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

BFing aches & pains normal?

My kiddo will be 2 weeks old today and we've been EBF since birth. We're having a slight latch problem some of the time but my supply seems to be good and he's gaining a lot of weight already so things overall seem to be going well.

I'm wondering about some new aches and pains I've developed in the last couple weeks. My left wrist has been killing me lately - almost feels like tinnitus or carpal tunnel. I know some people develop carpal tunnel in pregnancy but I didn't have an issue with it then, can it come up after delivery?

I'm also having back and shoulder pains randomly. Yesterday my low back was killing me and I had to take one of my 800 mg ibuprofen just to deal. Today my right shoulder seems off and I keep feeling like I need to pop my neck.

I use a My Brest Friend pillow 90% of the times we nurse and try to have good posture. Do you think these pains are just from not being supported well enough or not sitting up straight enough? Does anyone have any tips to make this more comfortable? My nips are almost healed finally - I was really hoping at two weeks I'd be an old pro at this and it wouldn't hurt anymore (LOL!!)

Advertisement

and our 3 furbabies (2 dogs & a cat). #2 due in 11/14! Loving life in beautiful Los Angeles.
somamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
2beauties
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BFing aches & pains normal?

Are you hydrated? I know in the beginning, I got body aches, and when I would drink more water they were less. Eventually it all went away with time. Just a lot of hormonal changes going on. But I did experience body aches with nursing my others as well.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
somamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

That could definitely be an issue - I'm perpetually dehydrated. It seems like all my body issues are related to that (headaches, swelling during preg & post, bad skin) so I'm not surprised this could be a symptom, too. I just don't ever get thirsty! Need to make a better effort.

[Takes a few big gulps of water. ]
and our 3 furbabies (2 dogs & a cat). #2 due in 11/14! Loving life in beautiful Los Angeles.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

There's something called "mom thumb" that you can develop from holding a baby--but I think it usually develops when baby is a bit heavier. I had it for a while, I think, from repositioning my baby in the bed when we were nursing side-lying. It hurt! But that might explain your sore wrist.

It's really easy to contort yourself in really odd ways while nursing, so I think even if you *think* you have great posture a lot of the time, sometimes you may be doing some funky things that are affecting your muscles.

I also had some back trouble caused by bending over to change my newborn on the bed. I started to have to change her on the changing table, even in the middle of the night, because the leaning over was just too painful for a while.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
somamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My little guy is already pretty big, probably about 10 lbs now, so I could see myself getting "mom thumb/wrist" earlier than normal.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd try nursing in different positions or setting your nursing pillow on top of a regular pillow to elevate it.

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
lizabethen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was really sore initially also... I think it's just something your body needs to get used to it. Just keep trying!
lizabethen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
somamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm pretty hard headed and this is something I *REALLY* want to do so I don't think I'll be giving up any time soon regardless of how it makes me feel.

My wrist seems to be getting slightly better each day so I think it's just something my body needs to get used to. The low back pain only lasted that one day and hasn't come back but that was also the day my MIL came to town to "help" so maybe that was just stress? LOL! My shoulder is still a little weird but I saw a 50% off massage on one of the local daily deal sites today so I'm going to try that and see if they can reset my body.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
vwcabbymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also had terrible lower back pain at first with DS. I think it was a combination of recovering from just having a human come out of me and then hunching over to nurse him while "sandwiching" my boob! The crazy things we ladies put our bodies through Men could never handle it Getting lots of rest and laying flat on my back on the floor for a little while everyday helped. Feel better!
Old 02-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
ksingh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You could try laying down side by side to nurse if you are feeling tired and sore. I second getting plenty to drink, I myself find it hard when you are not thirsty, but waiting until then means you are already dehydrated. Try drinking lemon water with a little salt and sugar (ice too!). It is really good and it will keep you hydrated.
ksingh is offline   Reply With Quote