Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

The end of naps?

I can't figure out what to do about my son's naps. He's 30 months old (2.5) and is/has been a great sleeper his entire life.

So the issue is:

Since we started potty training him (at 23) months, I started sitting in his room with him while he fell asleep. Worked like a charm, since I could head off any potential accidents, and he went to sleep easily. Although it has always taken him a long time to fall asleep at naptime. 30-90 min. is his typical range. I never had to do anything for him, just sat in a chair in the corner of his room and waited for him to be fully asleep before sneaking out.

Fast forward to this month. My in laws came out to watch him for a week while I took a class, and when they left I decided that it might be best if I stopped sitting with him. Since we're going to have another baby in March, I was worried about trying to sit with him for extended periods of time and have another little one who might need me, or wouldn't be quiet enough to sit with me. So I stopped cold turkey and told him that he could lay quietly in his own bed, but that Mommy needed to go lay in her own bed for naptime.

So ever since then he sleeps only about half the time, or he falls asleep really, really late. Like today. I laid him down at 12:30 and he fell asleep around 2:45. I was dozing in my own bed, but heard him get up around that time, and when I ushered him back to his bed he fell right asleep. This sort of late nap stuff ruins his bedtime of course, and makes him very crabby when I have to wake him.

So....thoughts? Advice? Is he done napping? Do we need to keep our routine, but not make him stay there through nap (aka let him up after an hour or 90 min.)?

I'm completely at a loss. I feel like maybe I should just go back to sitting with him. When he does nap he sleeps 2 hrs. so it seems as though he still needs it But then I have the issue of when the baby comes. And my husband will have to return to work, meaning I can't just sleep when the little one sleeps.

Thanks for any insight you can think of!

OH....just to note, he never cries. I am in no way punishing him for anything. I never scold him for being awake or anything like that.

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

Re: The end of naps?

No one?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

What's he like if he doesn't sleep? My guess is that if he's super crabby then he's probably not ready to drop his nap. My daughter has usually taken a while to fall asleep for naps, and recently she rarely will sleep. She'll just lay in there quietly or sing to herself. If she's been in there longer than 90 minutes I get her up and just make plans for an early bedtime (by 7). Most days she's not to crabby in the evening.

She would occasionally want us to "snuggle" with her (just lay next to her in bed) which I would do about every other day if I had time. And usually that would help her go to sleep. But as of late she only lays there talking to us so now we don't do the snuggle thing anymore. And she doesn't even really ask since she's not planning on sleeping anyway. Believe me, there are many days when I know she could use the sleep, but if she's not tired I can't make her sleep.

Good luck!
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am in a similar situation. My son is a little older than yours. He VERY much needs his naps. Does your son go down easily at night? My son goes to bed on his own, but at naptime he likes to cuddle and rock. If I try to put him right to nap, he SCREAMS. I know that eventually we are going to have to fight this battle because I can't rock him every day when the new baby comes but at this moment, I don't mind it one bit.

Do you think if you put him down at 12:30 and told him to rest that after a few days he would get into the new pattern and go to sleep quicker? You could always tell yourself you will get him up by a certain time if he is not asleep.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
MamatoGreta
Registered Users
seller

I require my 2.5 year old to at least rest. Some days she falls asleep right away. If she hasn't fallen asleep in the first 20 minutes, then she won't fall asleep at all. She will stay in there though, reading books or playing dollies in her bed. I let her get up after 2 hours, sometimes less. On those days we do an early bedtime. No matter what time she goes to bed she always wakes at the same time.

I've made over $250 on Swagbucks! sign up and you can too!
MamatoGreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Zappa
Registered Users
seller

Perhaps his nap time is too early? I would wait to lay him down until 1:30 and then get him up by 3:30 regardless of whether or not he actually slept.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the suggestions, thoughts. I was thinking of trying to lay him down later. Seems like such a waste when he spends 2 hrs. in his room during the nicest part of the day.

He is crabby in the evenings on no nap days, but he makes it through just fine. We make sure on those nights he's lights out by 7 at the latest. At night he goes down very quietly. I think it usually takes him 30-60 min. to fall asleep depending on how tired he is. But he doesn't thrash around like he does at naptime.

Today I laid him down at 2, and he fell asleep at 3:15. Off to wake him up now