Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #21
Kbunz14
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mamas of "skinny" babes i need your advice

Sounds like he's just a skinny boy who is getting plenty to eat. 5 gallons of milk a week! DD is small too, but alot of her relatives are petite. MIL and GMIL are about 5ft and less then 100lbs, My grandma, and me are all under 5' 5" and are overweight, but still smaller framed. My pedi said that her curve is just fine (6lb 8oz at birth, 20lbs at 15mos) and that because smaller ladies run in both families, he expects DD to be smaller too!

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #22
kandbcase
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son has always been very light weight, he stopped gaining earlier, but it was also about when I stopped bf'ing him, at 6 mos. At 9 mos he had actually lost weight. So we increased how much he ate, & he slowly gained weight, at 1 he was 18 lbs, 2.5 he was about 25 lbs, 3 he was only 28 lbs. All of that time his pediatricians would say we needed to see a nutritionist, finally I gave in, so I wrote out everything DS ate for 3 days. The nutritionist took one look at it & said & what do you want me to do? Have you ever thought this is just genetics? I said, yes I have, but no pediatrician seems to believe it, so here we are. His only suggestion, keep DS on whole milk (we got WIC until DS was about 3.5 & they would only give me whole milk for him) & add carnation instant breakfast to it to go with his meals. I did this for all his meals for about a year & have slowed down, now he drinks whatever milk we have in the fridge & I only give him carnation instant breakfast if I feel like he's really sluggish that morning & not eating his breakfast well, because he'll chug the milk. He's 5.5 & weighs about 35 lbs. At this point DS could probably wear size 3t in the waist, but he needs size 6 for length, so I have to buy him adjustable waist pants. He's always grown height wise, & been about in the 50 percentile there.
DD is also skinny, but not quite as much as DS. She was 19 lbs at 1, & at just over 2 she's 25 lbs. I have asked my mom in the past about how skinny me & my sisters/ cousins were as babies, & she said that I was the chunkiest & I was about the size of DD.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #23
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've got "underweight" kids. They eat all.the.time. It's just genetic for them. Even my mom has commented on how skinny they are, she thinks they're not healthy because you can see their ribs. I just make sure they get lots of healthy fats, fruits, veggies, carbs, dairy. They can nosh on a healthy snack whenever they want (or they can eat the meal they didn't finish, lol). One thing I found to help DS1 keep some weight on is that he LOVES black olives. We probably eat a can a day! I've had many peds and nurses tell me to add butter to their bread and cheese to their veggies, etc. but they (like my TALL SKINNY husband), don't like tons of condiments. And I don't do the instant breakfast because it has a TON of sugar in it and my kids are sugar sensitive. If anything, they're skinny because we don't eat a lot of sweets or foods with HFCS in them.

FWIW, DS1 is 37 lbs at 4, and DS2 is 27 lbs at 2yrs 3mos. I happen to think they're just fine. GL, mama.

ETA I notice that your LO is 21ish pounds at 18 months??? Sounds VERY reasonable to me. My oldest was 23 pounds at a year and 25 pounds at two, which made the doc go craaaaazy. From two to three he put on a TON of weight, without me altering his diet, and at 3 was 33 lbs, then slowed again, at 4 is 37 lbs.
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.

Last edited by skolbut; 01-28-2011 at 10:51 PM.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #24
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

My daughter was in the 10-15% for height and the 0-1% for weight. They ran ALL sorts of tests - when they ran out of tests to run they stopped talking about it. By then I was tired of them putting her through it and putting me through it. At the end of it all - they sent me to a nutritionist - she started talking about good eating habits, not snacking outside of meal time, not too much fat, less sugary cereal and I was like WHOA - I'm here b/c my kid is TOO skinny - you are so off track. I know all the stuff you are telling me - my kid eats great. I'm supposed to figure out how to make her eat more and gain weight. Finally in the end the determination is that she can eat what she wants and not to be afraid to give her chicken nuggets and fries as often as she wants?!?

Now my little boy is over 4 and about 27lbs still wearing a size 24mo and I'm actually starting to worry. Seriously - he has not grown at all in the last yr. I just pulled out his winter clothes from last yr and they all still fit.

But I guess some kids just are smaller. There wouldn't be a growth curve if there weren't kids at both extremes - right?

My daughter seems to be turning out fine!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #25
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulysa View Post
I appreciate all the posts so far. I did forget to mention he drinks 5 gallons of milk a week. Trying to switch to water so we can lay off the dairy at least a little. We are trying to reduce meat and dairy as of last week. We are not even on the charts for weight but he is in 95th percentile for height (32in tall). He is hitting his milestones and has been right on or ahead on speech (50+ words said by age 1) small motor skills (pincher fingers, holding toys, etc..), and large motor (walking, running, walking up steps, etc..).

That is very remarkable that he is in the 95% for height and not on the charts for weight. I just did this tool:
http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/growt...ercentiles.htm
and it looks like my son is "below the 3rd" for H, "below the 3rd" for W - I don't know exactly what that means whether it means he's on the charts at all or not.

My D apparently is now 35%for height and 17th for weight which seems strange because I was always told that where ever they start on the charts is the line you expect them to follow?

I wish I could be more help. I guess I just wanted you to know you aren't the only one with this type of concern.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #26
totrece
Registered Users
seller

We went though all the test and concerns with DD then she picked up gowning again a month later. I told the DRs unless she shows antoehr sign of problems no more testing for her being "small" it's not a medical condition.
totrece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #27
pcjs
Registered Users

We, at our house, want to know what is wrong with olives!!! My son has to eat olives - green and black at most meals (he doesn't demand but he loves loves them). Don't worry at all. As long at they eat & drink, its all fine. My son is literally the same way that you describe and we are 17 months. At his 15 month appt, he hit 20 (no clue what he is now). He is so active and spends his days running & climbing and moving so anything he eats he just burns.

I just giggle - if you didn't know he was adopted, then looking at me, there is no way (well, there is a way) I'd probably have a kid weighting more so I just emailed the doc, pictures of my son with his birthparents (recent ones) & his brother who is 15 months older and never heard a word about it since. Its pure genetics...someone has to be on the lower end of the growth chart. For us, I think it helps as he's very good with his fine/gross motor skills and is doing very well keeping up with the big kids at his gym class (we all just giggle at him as he's so determined).

We went to a nutritionist who was very supportive but didn't have anything to add. She said add more powder to the formula - ick, add more butter (he gets a reasonable amount but I don't want him addicted to greasy foods like I see other kids), cook with olive and other good oils - we already do, etc. I refuse to do the fatty greasy foods as (a) I don't think they make a thin kid gain that much weight as I am living proof - I don't gain and eat the worst foods possible, and (b) I am not starting bad foods now and him only expecting that and getting into power struggles - we changed our eating habits around him and we are going to keep it healthy until he is older.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #28
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

My kids are tiny things and eat a TON! Some kids are just small.

Your doc is a lot more worried than my son's is. My son was 8.7 at birth, was 19 lbs at 6 mths, 21.5 lbs at 9 mths, and is still 21.5 lbs now at 19.5 mths (he lost some weight and regained it during that time). Our doc's attitude is that some kids are just light and as long as DS is healthy, happy, hitting his milestones and otherwise growing well, we don't need to stress about his weight. That might change if DS drops off the chart by his 2 yo visit. We'll see. I won't stress unless he stops being healthy or they show me a medical (instead of cultural) reason to worry.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #29
percussionsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mines still an itty bitty babe at only 4.5mos and he's only 12lbs. They are worried and Im not sure where its headed. He hits all his milestones and is doing great, looks great, just super skinny. My older one (4.5yo) was a tiny one too and only now is getting up there in both height and weight.
We ate healthy and docs always asked. I think sometimes they are just running though their protocol of questions without really thinking about it in hopes something will stand out as "fixable"
Good luck mama!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #30
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Unless there is other reason for concern (milestones not being met?), I would not be concerned. Dd wasn't 20 lbs until she at least 15 months old and she was born bigger than your ds. She's 2 3/4 now and only 25 lbs. Like others have said, some kids are just smaller.