View Poll Results: WOHMs...What type of childcare do you use?
A Daycare center 14 31.11%
A Home based daycare 15 33.33%
SAHD 5 11.11%
Other relative watching LOs in your home 6 13.33%
Other relative watching LOs at their home 11 24.44%
In Home Caretaker (sitter, etc) 2 4.44%
Live In Caretaker (Nanny, au pair, etc) 0 0%
Other 1 2.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
Selene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
WOHMs....what type of childcare set up do you have and why?

Just wondering....DH has been a SAHD since DS was born but we need the income so he will be going back to work soon. I'm looking into childcare centers right noe....I just don't feel as comfortable with an in home set up but I intend on getting some recommendations and checking a few out. I wish we could have someone come to our home but I know that can be pretty expensive.
Anyway, please share what type of childcare you use and why and what your experience has been. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

Re: WOHMs....what type of childcare set up do you have and why?

We use the center that's onsite at my work and it's been great for the most part. The best part about a center is that they never call out sick, plus with me being right there I can go up and breastfeed DS. Plus the ratio is pretty good.

DS started there in August when he was almost 10 months. Before then he was with my sister part time and a friend the rest. That was nice because he got lots of individual attention, but the friend called off on me multiple times, so that was frustrating.

The only downside of the center is they have a LOT of different teachers as subs and for lunch breaks. I love his regulars and really like most of the subs, but there is one sub I don't care for. DS doesn't seem to mind her, though. DS loves it there, and he's learning so much.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:43 AM   #3
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We use a home-based daycare. I like that its small, personal and has a low caregiver to child ratio. Our provider came well recommended and our boys love her. Occasionally, I do pop in at different times to see how the day is going (my work schedule can vary), and I've never been disappointed with their care or what I've seen.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
hikergal73
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is in a day care center - 5 minutes from work. When I was still bf'ing, it was great to be able to go over there on my lunch break. Even when I stopped, it's still nice to stop by if I want. Although, after she moved to the toddler room, I felt that I was more disruptive to her day and I was only appeasing my mommy guilt. But they have always been open to my visits and I have never seen any issues the times that I have been there.

I originally thought I'd prefer the in-home day care but after looking at a couple and then seeing the center, I just felt that the center was a better fit for DD.

Like a pp mentioned, I never have to worry about finding back-up daycare because they are always open except for holidays. I like the structure it gives DD and they always have tons of activities. And most importantly, DD is THRIVING there. Now that she is over the stranger anxiety stage, she goes right to her teachers and starts playing when I drop her off in the morning. The downsides are that there has been some turnover, I felt a little pushed to have DD move up when I didn't think she was ready - mainly because she was on a two nap schedule and the toddler room does only one nap, and it is a larger place so I do worry about DD being just a number (I'm yet to really evidence of this, though)

I did have my mom and MIL look after her briefly when I went back to work and that proved diasterous with my MIL. I just simply did not feel comfortable with her taking care of DD.

Which is what it really comes down to, is whoever is taking care of you LO, you have to feel comfortable with them whether it's at a center, in-home provider, or someone who comes to your home. GL!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:01 AM   #5
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I chose "other" b/c we drop DD off at a babysitter's daily. Sitter wasn't doing childcare prior to us (though I gather she has in years past) & doesn't care for any other children. While there are some centers here, they're all in the wrong direction from our home & work. We had DD in an in-home DC when DP returned to work & DD was 6 wks old. We hated it...the lady was okay but weird, she wasn't certified, & we couldn't keep up with how many kids she had at any given time. B/c we live in the district where DP teaches, we wanted to keep DD in the district (it's a HUGE district, so DP picking up elsewhere would be a pain), but that also means that we've heard a lot of dirt on a lot of local providers, so we're picky. So when we found a lady that had great kids of her own (one of her kids is in DP's honors English class), she wanted to care for one infant, and she was cool w/ providing the kind of care we wanted...it was ideal. Now, she's also a little flaky & has really thrown herself into dog shows...so we might look for a different situation for next school year, but DD will be 18 mos by then.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
jlcohen
Registered Users

My Mood:

I work out of the home part-time four mornings a week. My mom watches my kids in my home for 3 of those days and my step-mom watches them the other day. It has worked out very well for us and I feel completely spoiled with out situation.

co-sleeping, breastfeeding, baby-wearing, extended rear-facing, cloth diapering, delayed vaccinating, part-time working mama of three sweet peas
jlcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
Zappa
Registered Users
seller

My Mom watches my kids in her home while DH and I work. We do pay her, but not as much as a daycare center would cost. I provide all food, car seats and other baby/kid gear that she needs. If I could, I would be a SAHM, but since we financially cannot afford that I am thrilled that my Mom cares for my children. She is the next best thing to me, has the same parenting style as I do and respects my wishes even when it isn't exactly what she would do. She also LOVES the cloth diapers and was so excited when I told her I was going to use them with DS.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We had a home based daycare for 3 and a half years. It was IDEAL....at the end though, we were using her less and she was starting to take on random kids here and there and some days I felt there were too many kids there. For the first 3 years it was just my kids (2) her kids (2) and one other mom's kids (2). And both me and the other mom were part time, so it was rare all of them were there. Well, when DD was 3 I was going to send her to preschool anyway but my sitter also decided she needed to get out of the house, so she took a part time job 3 days a week. I couldn't work out my schedule to fit with hers, so we had to look elsewhere. It was pretty traumatic. My kids were VERY at home there.

Anyway, the kids were old enough for preschool anyway, so we found a daycare center that does preschool during the day. My kids are 3 and 4 so they needed the extra learning. They LOVE it. They are totally thriving. I never have worries that the sitter will be sick and cancel on me, or that one of her kids will be sick (because at the center, of course, the kids have to stay home if they're sick). The kids have NOT gotten more colds since starting. I love hearing about all of their new friends. The only complaint we have is the expense, but the kids are safe, happy, and well taken care of. We couldn't be happier. I still don't want to send the new baby to a daycare right away, so we'll be using a sitter again and keeping the big kids at their school. But after a year or so, the baby will switch over.
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I wanted to add- we have family that "could" take care of them...but my husband's family is somewhat spoiled. I was too afraid that they would do something that would upset me about something and it would complicate our relationship. I knew the kids would be safe if we did that, but I didn't want them to feel like if they wanted a vacation they "couldn't" go because they had to watch our kids, or something similar. That make sense??
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #10
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I voted for daycare center b/c that is what we used to use when DH was deployed. Now we do opposite shifts (DH is in school using his GI Bill) so I clicked SAHD too.

I would never do an in home daycare (other than family or a good good family friend) b/c I was physically abused in one as a child so I have that aversion. I know abuse can occur anywhere, but I like having a center with multiple workers around for more of a checks and balances system.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)

Last edited by CherryPie; 01-25-2011 at 08:17 AM.
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote