View Poll Results: WOHMs...What type of childcare do you use?
A Daycare center 14 31.11%
A Home based daycare 15 33.33%
SAHD 5 11.11%
Other relative watching LOs in your home 6 13.33%
Other relative watching LOs at their home 11 24.44%
In Home Caretaker (sitter, etc) 2 4.44%
Live In Caretaker (Nanny, au pair, etc) 0 0%
Other 1 2.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: WOHMs....what type of childcare set up do you have and why?

We did HDC for the first year and now we're at a DCC. I liked the home daycare b/c the ratio was so small but the provider let her 3y/o watch TV so my kid was getting it too (that's not horrible but I hadn't really thought about it)

At the DCC he doesn't get as much one on one time but he gets a lot more interaction with kids his age. He immediatley dropped bottles and went to the sippy cup, started self-feeding - he learned a lot by example.

Advertisement

Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
chloebeansmom
Registered Users
seller

I bring the girls to my in-laws house on M,W, F. It makes for a long commute but it's free and they love to spend the time with them. On T and Th They go to a babysitter who has them in her home. She only takes care of my girls and her grandchildren on a staggered basis. Both girls do great there. She is the sweetest lady and has a great extended family (her 3 sons and their families all live in visual distance of her house). She has taught my DD1 to start speaking Portugese and gets her to eat great food. DD2 has only been there for 2 weeks but she is always SO happy when I get there in the afternoon. DD1 calls her babysitter Vovo (grandma) and all of the grandchildren her cousins. She just loves it there.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

A little of everything based on our needs at the time.

When DS1 was a baby my mom watched him.

When I went back to work after DS2 was born DH and I worked opposite shifts to each other. He would meet me outside and we would switch.

When DS1 and DS2 were a little older we continued working opposite shifts and had a nanny come to watch the kids for a few hours because we had an over-lap in hours.

When we had DS3 - I only worked for a couple months before being on mat leave again (which I am now) during that time I worked VERY part-time. If I worked during the day the kids went to a friend from church who had them in her home-daycare. They were her only day-care kids.

Of all our options I preferred the nanny route and would go that way again IF it was just a few hours a week again. I never had to pack the kids out the door, she would keep on eye on our dinner cooking, our pets had someone home with them instead of being alone. I doubt we could afford full-time private nanny care if I got a typical 40-hour-a-week day-time-hours job.

BUT that doesn't really matter anymore as for the time being I am going to be a SAHM - 4 kids is just getting to difficult for me to work.

Last edited by mg5g; 01-25-2011 at 11:41 AM.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
travelmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use a daycare center. DD started out in one where I work, but didn't transition to the toddler room well so we moved to one down the street. It's been a dream!!!!!!!

We preferred centers because - 1)you never have to worry about finding someone if the teacher is sick 2)if something were to happen, there's always someone else around who can verify the story 4)we like that there is a mix of structure, learning & free play
travelmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use a daycare center. I like the hours they are open and the flexability they provided. I also like the dependability. I don't ever have to worry about my daycare provider (or their kids) being sick and me having to stay home. I like that there are tons of years of experience combined with all the different daycare providers. Daycare centers also have good schedules (relatively) and often have preschools in them (although I ended up not needing the preschool). They go on trips and have people come in to help contribute to the child's education. Great playground equipment and safety features

When I looked at daycare centers one important thing for me to know is how long a lot of the employees had been there, tells you a lot.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #16
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

MIL has DS3 for most of the time at work, and DH has him for a small percentage.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #17
NebraskaGirl82
Registered Users
seller

I actually am going back to work tomorrow.

Before I quit a year and a half ago, my girls were with a GREAT home daycare provider. She was truly a gem and has become one of my best friends. Sadly, her husband was transferred out of state.

Now when I was looking this time, for all 3, I did look at some homes but they just didn't compare to my old provider. DD2 is also quite challenging and I think a center is best for her- quite honestly I don't know I'd trust a home provider not to hurt her- and it will keep her busier.

They will be in DC Monday and Fridays only, and be with DH the other 3 days during the week. The baby is also older too, 8 mos. I would really hesitate to put a teeny infant in a center, if for nothing else but the germs.
NebraskaGirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #18
*Amy*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am not currently working, but I was until last month. My little boy stays with his grandma (my DHs mom.) She used to run a daycare out of her home but now she only watches him. I don't think I could put him in daycare, daycare around here is shady. Before that, my husband worked from home and Kainan stayed with him.
& Baby # 3 EDD 8/30/13
*Amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #19
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My mom watches my kids. MWF, we take them to her house. T/TH she comes to mine so DD can go to preschool at our church, and then she takes DFS back to her house.

If my mom wasn't watching my kids, I'd probably have them at a wonderful center near us. It is uber expensive, but the care is first rate. When I toured about 5 centers last year, I walked into this one and thought, "Wow. This is exactly where I want my kids to go." We have 2 other friends who send their kids there, and you really do get what you pay for. They even brush the kids teeth with them after meals. It is wonderful!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote