Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:04 AM   #1
AngelicasMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Daycare question, areall daycares like this??

My best friend works in a daycare, and has worked in other ones before the one she is in now. DD is almost 10 months and when she turns 11 months, will be going into daycare (assuming I find one by then...so far no luck)
But she told me that when they are a year old they only give them ONE nap at around noonish, and they sleep on MATS. Umm...ok one, my dd needs more than one nap. She only JUST transitioned to 2 from 3, and everything I have read says that they only go to 1 nap at 18 months.
And two, Mats?? REally?
Please tell me not all daycares are like this, how is the daycare your lo is in?

Advertisement

AngelicasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:27 AM   #2
Len27
Registered Users
seller

Re: Daycare question, areall daycares like this??

DD started daycare in a home around 14 mos. Our home DCP had 1-2 playpens set up in her bedrooms upstairs and the kids slept one to a playpen. Definitely no mats, they would have been all over the place! I can see that working for older kids in a center though.
Len27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know we have basic regs about nap furniture thru the state.
Here, kids have to be older than 1yr to nap on a mat on the floor or on an actual bed(no waterbeds though, like ever!) I personally keep my kiddos in PNPs until they transition out of naps at around age 4-5. I just find PNPs easier than mats & hold up better long term.
Timing of naps, I think it's a center thing. Most home providers can have different kids nap at different times with no issues(different aged kiddos in same general locations) but centers tend to group kids together by age, and expect them to do certain things at the same time(it's easier & they have more kids overall in a small area). There might be a bit of leeway, but I think they'll probably push your LO to head towards 1 nap like the others.
I know it wouldn't have flown with either one of my kiddos. They both did 2 naps until closer to age 2. But all kids are different, and home DC can be more flexible than center in this area. I have also had 8mo kids take only 1 nap and be fine(well, as fine as they could be for that being their "natural" tendency to sleep less than most). I didn't want them to be this way, they just were naturally. I go with the flow and follow the child's lead on naps.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
jefesita
Registered Users
seller

I have worked at 2 centers and the "infant room" held them till 18 months and they stayed in cribs until then. but they usually only took one nap unless the kid totally just fell asleep then someone would pick them up and put them to bed. the littler ones that couldnt get around slept more, but had to learn to sleep with lights on and kids playing and sometimes even banging on their crib.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
mrdhollins
Registered Users
Formerly: snowbabymama
seller

My Mood:

My DD is 13 mo old and has 2 nap times (1 AM, 1 PM) in a crib. At somewhere around 16-18 months (depending on the kid), they transition to the next room where they start sleeping on cots w/ nap mats, so that by the time they are about 20 months, they are have one longish afternoon nap in their cot.

Oh, and DD NEVER took 3 naps. She was sort of a free sleeper until about 6 months and then went to 2. The AM nap is much shorter than the PM and if we have to do something, I'm much more likely to skip the AM nap and make sure she goes down earlier in the afternoon.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD moved to a new DCP at 16 months and they allowed the children who needed 2 naps to have 2 naps. DD at that point was down to 1 (she's not a big daytime sleeper)...but she was in a crib till 19 months, when they moved her to a cot.

The nap thing is a center by center deal IME, but the cots I am pretty sure is regulated by state.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

The daycare center I use as a "drop in" for my older DD does this. After 1 year they go to the 2 year room. They take one nap for 2 hours by laying on mats on the floor. If they don't want to nap they have to quietly sit on the mat or lay on the mat for 2 hours.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We started our son in a daycare center at a year and were totally shocked that they had the kids sleeping on mats - but asides from "sleep crawling" he stays put for the most part.

And they only take one long nap from 1230-2pm. My son took 2 naps a day still, one was just at home in the evening - which was nice because it gave me time to cook dinner.

You'd be amazed at what your kids are capable of when there are a half dozen other little people all doing the same thing.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
swinega
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd has been at the same in home daycare since she was 4 weeks old, and basically slept whenever when she was an infant. About 10 months or so she was only taking 10-15 minute morning naps, and they just cut that out, which was fine w/ me. So at 10 months she was taking 1 nap a day from 1-4ish. This is just how they do it, but I think its pretty common to go to 1 nap if the child doesn't 'need' the other. But I know if my dd was wanting or needed a longer morning nap, they would have kept that up as well. My daycare is very scheduled, but when it comes to naps, she is flexible to what the child needs for the most part. They also sleep in pnp's until they are around 2 and know they need to stay in bed. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable if she slept on the floor on a mat, mostly because I know that she would not stay there, and would try to get up!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

I worked at an early head start program and babies under 1 slept in a crib (we actually kept them in the crib until closer to 18 months) and they were allowed to nap whenever they wanted.