Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2011, 10:32 AM   #11
AngelicasMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Daycare question, areall daycares like this??

Ugh I just want to find a DCP that will let her sleep when she needs to. She defenitely will not go with just one, or she will just pass out. I don't think that's healthy, and not giving a child a quiet sleep area is just wrong imo.

Advertisement

AngelicasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicasMommy View Post
Ugh I just want to find a DCP that will let her sleep when she needs to. She defenitely will not go with just one, or she will just pass out. I don't think that's healthy, and not giving a child a quiet sleep area is just wrong imo.
Agree. I think schedules adults set for kiddos should be flexible.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
doodah
Registered Users
seller

You might go for a daycare with a small ratio (four to six kids per teacher) or a home daycare. You will get more flexibility on naps and everything in general that way. Each daycare is different but in general, the more kids, the crazier it is and the less inclined the providers are to accomodate just one kid's particular needs. I have a smaller group and we are on a routine BUT I wouldn't let an 11 month old struggle thru the day exhausted just to stay on my schedule. I do know a few daycares that would though and they are all larger groups (10 -15 kids per teacher)
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
applebutter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS dropped his morning nap at 10 mos. At your LO's age, it's common to just be napping once per day. She'll probably be so busy with the other LO's, that she won't miss it.

My ODS was in daycare from about 5 mos, so I never questioned the mat thing. But he did fine with it!

ETA: When I moved my ODS from a center to a home daycare, I noticed it was much less structured. The home daycare had PnP's in a bedroom for the babies to nap whenever they needed to.

ISO:
DD Granny Smith, Caramel Apple, MM Circe, SBish interlock longies w/11"+ inseam

Last edited by applebutter; 01-25-2011 at 12:16 PM.
applebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
mommyof3armywife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mats yes. and My 15 month old as been taking one nap a day since she was about 11 months old. I wish I had 3 naps a day heck I would take 2!
Old 01-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #16
travelmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At her first daycare, our DD transitioned to the toddler room at 13 months. They only had one nap per day because the age range in the room was from 12 months to 2.5 years and they slept in the same room that they played in...so yes, DD went to one nap at 13 months. As for the mats, they used them once a child turned 18 months. Until then, they were in pack 'n plays.

At DD's current daycare, the kids all move up to the next level of room together and are no more than 6 months apart in age. There is a separate sleeping room so the little ones can sleep whenever they are tired, but they do tend to transition them to one nap a day around 14-15 months old. They continue to sleep in cribs until they are almost 2.
travelmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #17
twogirlsmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacasey1981 View Post
We started our son in a daycare center at a year and were totally shocked that they had the kids sleeping on mats - but asides from "sleep crawling" he stays put for the most part.

And they only take one long nap from 1230-2pm. My son took 2 naps a day still, one was just at home in the evening - which was nice because it gave me time to cook dinner.

You'd be amazed at what your kids are capable of when there are a half dozen other little people all doing the same thing.
This is the same as our DCP. DD2 is 19 mos, but does great on a mat. They have cribs available for those who don't do well on the mats (and the younger babies), but most do just fine. She just takes one nap at "school" and goes to bed earlier at home during the week--she sometimes still takes 2 naps on weekends, but goes to bed later when she does. She loves her "beauty sleep" and still sleeps 14-15 hours/day even with just one nap at school!

ETA: I totally agree that they should be flexible--if our DD needs to sleep more, they will always let her and will find a quiet place (crib, usually) for her. I agree with the lower ratios being more flexible--DD's class has only 3 kids per teacher, so it's pretty easy for them to accommodate individual schedules.

Last edited by twogirlsmama; 01-25-2011 at 12:27 PM.
twogirlsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #18
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think the toddler room uses mats or cots. But, the infant room uses cribs.

Yes, one nap a day is normal, but, that doesn't mean she can't fall asleep for a little while in the mornings. Maybe you could ask to keep her in an infant/young toddler group for a little while longer. Or just look for an in home childcare.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #19
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicasMommy View Post

Just look for a home daycare. Most home daycares have only one or two babies, and the rest are older. Yours can be the only baby, and they will be as flexible as she needs.

But, in a center, it's one room. Lots of kids, and several adults. It's not like she can go lay down in the other room when she's tired. They have SOOO many rules they need to follow, and giving one child a special place to sleep away from all the others isn't possible. But, kids are wonderfully flexible and seem to adjust really well. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how well she does. It takes a few weeks of being exhausted at night, but they adjust very well.

Whatever setting you choose will be great. It's hard for you, but you'll pick the best place.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 01-25-2011 at 01:01 PM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #20
Shaunam
Registered Users

At the daycare where I work, they put them on cots at 18 months, unless the parent wants to do it sooner. They will keep them in the crib a little longer also if the parents feel the child isn't ready (they have to stay in the baby room instead of moving up to the toddler room though). They generally get 1 nap a day at about noon from 1 year on up, but I know some of the kids fall asleep at random times and they just let them, unless of course, the parents specify to wake them. The mobile baby room only has about 6 kids in it though, so they are able to just kind of go with the flow.