Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #21
MomToMyMonkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Daycare question, areall daycares like this??

We start kids at 18 months at my school (I'm the director), and they sleep on mats and take one nap all together. We keep very low ratios (6:1) so we don't have an extra teacher or room for one child who needs an extra nap. We will, however, pull a mat out and let a child lay down in a quiet part of the room if they need it, which happens quite often. We haven't had an issue with mats since in a classroom setting the kids tend to follow the crowd and figure out what to do pretty quickly.

I agree with finding a home daycare (make certain they are licensed) or a small center to get the most flexibility.

Advertisement

MomToMyMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #22
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm thinking our state's regs say that kids under 2 are to sleep in pnp's. Then move to the floor with the bigger kids at 2. I know at both daycares we've used the bigger kids have slept on the floor. I think one had mats, the other didn't, just blankets.....always thought that would be uncomfortable, but I suppose kids don't get aches and pains like we adults.

12 months might be too young to take one nap a day for some kids. Perhaps in her experience it's not generally the case. I would hope she's willing to be flexible on that until it's known whether or not your child can get by on one a day (at daycare. the other one could still happen after she's picked up??).
Old 01-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #23
AngelicasMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Trust me, I would LOVE to put her in a home daycare...but it's pretty much impossible. Only way I am able to afford daycare is I applied for assistance, and it only applies to a regular daycare.
I will probably be working 9 to 6, 5 days a week. Which means I need to find a daycare that is open til 6:30 or so. If I don't work that many hours, I won't make enough money to pay bills. She usually sleeps from 7pm to 6:30am so I really don't know how everything is gonna work but I am hoping for the best.
AngelicasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #24
crunch!910
Registered Users

DS was only getting 1 nap starting about 10 months old.

He would HAVE to be in the infant group at the daycare we are wanting to put him into. They have cribs for 0-18mo. The toddler room, they sleep on cots. All I can say to them is GOODLUCK with that!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #25
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i worked in a center, and yea....we did one nap a day for the 12+ month 'kids'. our kids slept on cots though, not mats.

eta: we had one little guy who needed 2 naps, and we 'let' him sleep when he needed to. it was a bit of a challenge in a room where the other kids were up and playing, but he was going to fall asleep whether we gave him a cot or not, lol, so we napped him.

Last edited by titania; 01-25-2011 at 07:15 PM.
titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #26
NebraskaGirl82
Registered Users
seller

My girls used to be at a great home center, they were in cribs and at about a year she transitioned them to mats. I had no issues with it, she was a GREAT DCP.

I actually start back at work tomorrow and they will be in a center twice a week. Sadly my old DCP has moved. They have cots there.
NebraskaGirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #27
clothforyourangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All three of my boys transitioned to one nap per day around 1 year old, so it wouldn't have been a problem for us. If you have concerns, definitely talk to the daycare or ask around to find one that is willing to be more amenable to your child's needs.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #28
AHIAMOM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to work at a daycare and we did exactly what you described.
Earn money for your searches with Swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2my4kiddos
AHIAMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #29
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I work in childcare in Alberta. We have 4 cribs in the infant room and 4 mats. As you can imagine cribs take up a lot of space so it is not practical to have cribs for all children. In Alberta kids under 13 months are not allowed to use mats which is why we have the cribs we do. Usually by 15 months they are on mats, or earlier if needed
We transitions to one nap about 15 months as well, or sooner if they parent is doing it. There are kids that are older and napping 2x a day but they have to be on one nap prior to 19 months when they go to the next room.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #30
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I am familiar with 2 daycares. Both do pack n plays till at least age 2. (Sometimes to age 2 1/2 depending on personality of child and needs.) But ALL kids at age 12 to 14m go to one nap a day....right after lunch for about 3 hours. They all eventually get used to the schedule. Some sooner than others.
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote