Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
addicteddad
Registered Users

Wwyd: travel w/3mo. old & vax question.

Need some quick opinions.
Mom has an upcoming trip to vegas when ds will be 10 weeks old, and would be gone for 6 days. Due to us ebfing, we are concerned that may be too soon for him to be totally on pumped milk.
A. What do you think, or what has your experience been with traveling with a nb?
B. Should we carry on his pumpkin seat or see if the hotel offers a car seat with their shuttle service?
C. Pedi advised we should get his first pertussis vax prior to leaving, but I wasn't sure if that would offer any benefits since it's a vax given in series. We were hoping to delay vax, but this one would be given at 2 months if we go with her suggestion.

We are aware of the benefits of bf during takeoff and landing, and will be bringing a carrier and gripe water as well.
Probably have to go with sposies for a week though, unless I buy some grovia disposables.
Tia for any help, we will likely buy the ticket for me tonight in case fares go up

Advertisement

addicteddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
ktmamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Wwyd: travel w/3mo. old & vax question.

I traveled with my unvaxed new born (she was later vaxed, but was too young for anything at the time of traveling, except for the hospital dose of hep b which I declined.) with no problems. It was a 5 hour flight, and she slept most of the time, both ways.

Personally, I feel that breastfeeding is enough to support baby's immune system for the flight and I think that if you want to delay vaccinations then you should, regardless of travel.

I also think it's good that you are going along too. 6 days is a long time to not nurse and even with pumping she might find herself with a decrease in supply that could hinder her nursing relationship. Don't forget to remind her to drink plenty of water during the flight too!
Old 01-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
addicteddad
Registered Users

Yes, I'm going to take care of ds whole mom is working, and he'll be eating pumped milk during the day, but she'll be able to bf in the evening and through the night.
Thanks.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
ralenth
Registered Users

I've traveled with my babies that little. First, I wore my DS in the airport in a sling (a carrier of some kind would work the same, I prefer slings for little-bitties). I had to take him out to go through security (but still felt more secure having him in the sling in the airport itself). I did have his stroller and carseat with me, and brought the carseat onto the plane with me. If there is a seat available, the airline will often let you have it for a baby, otherwise you can gate check the stroller and carseat (and it will be there for you as you get off the plane). Some airlines will make you take a little one out of a sling or carrier as the plane takes off, some will not. Besides those things, honestly? I found traveling when they are little to be the easiest time to travel. It gets harder when they get bigger!
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

We travelled with my daughter at 3 mo, no problems. Actually easier then than now, as they're in the "potted plant" stage. :-) She slept on my shoulder the whole way there and back. Used the paci throughout the journey.

Taxi's are exempt from carseat laws in some states - I don't know the Nevada laws on this, and I don't know if it extends to hotel shuttles. Most of the Vegas hotels are less than a mile from the airport. For me, an extra seat on the plane would be a waste for a 2 month old, and if I was only taking the r/t taxi ride from the airport to the hotel, I probably wouldn't bother with the carseat. With some quick googling just now, I read that you can request a carseat from the taxi dispatcher with good success, I can only assume that the super-duper-mega hotels in Vegas offer the same service with a few hours of advance notice. Certainly worth a call. Either way, I would NOT show up with an infant in the shuttle line only to get turned away with no carseat, no transportation, and no options.

I am a SAHD and bottle-fed my daughter a lot with no adverse effects, we also supplement fed formula, and never had to stop breastfeeding. Kudos to you for jumping on the "hands-on-dad" bandwagon, and welcome to the diaperswappers dads club. :-)

I would do the pertussis vax before departure. Vaccination is important to me, and I trust my doctor's advice. For shots in a series, most of the immunity comes from the first shot in the series.

Best of luck. No going out on the town this trip, eh? :-)
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
addicteddad
Registered Users

Thank you. Btw title should have read 10 wk old, not 3mo.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A. First off, travelling w/ a nb is waaay easier than travelling w/ a toddler LOL! All a nb wants is to snuggle w/ mom or dad, be fed and changed. Easy peasy. We travelled to Australia when ODS was 4 mos (30 hour trip!), and honestly that trip was easier than when we flew to Montreal (about a 4 hours travel time total) when he was 16 mos!

B. I would take the car seat, but then I am car seat safety paranoid. Even if you have a small accident, say running off the runway at low speed, you will still have a hard time holding onto your lap baby easily, the forces generated by even a low speed crash can be much higher than you think. I am always amazed by the "tray table up, seat up, seat belt secure, but hey, just hold your infant on your lap, he'll be fine if we have an accident" thing quite ridiculous. Nobody questions the needing a car seat in a car, but somehow think it's overkill in a plane... As pp said, if there is space, they will let you install the seat on the plane, otherwise, you can gate check it along w/ your stroller (if you are taking one), and it will be waiting for you on the jet-way when you deplane. FYI, if you do take the seat, they will make you install it in the window seat (due to concerns about row egress ease in case of an emergency).

C. Well, we don't vax at all, so I know what our answer would be re: DTaP. But for you, well, you have decided on a delayed schedule, and I'm not sure why your ped is worried about a trip to Vegas as a decision point for abandoning your schedule (although you didn't say where the DTap falls on your proposed schedule) - it's not like you are going to the Amazon! Why she would think that Vegas is any more rife w/ Pertussis, Diphtheria or Tetanus than your own hometown is beyond me. I personally would stick w/ your plans, and I don't think a short domestic plane flight is any reason to bump up your schedule. Why did she say you should do it early? I would also worry about the possibility of a vax reaction (fever, sore arm, or less likely, something more severe) - you don't want to be dealing w/ a feverish, achy, upset baby during a flight, so if you do decide to get it early, I would do it at least a week before the flight to allow time for any reactions to wane.

GL and have fun!

Last edited by kezoo; 01-25-2011 at 01:07 PM.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
addicteddad
Registered Users

Thanks to both of you. We aren't purchasing a seat for ds, so I guess the only way we could install a seat would be if there were extra seats available. We'll likely skip the stroller and opt for the ergo baby for our short outings.
Pedi said she would just like us to get the pertussis vax started for whatever immunity is achieved by the first shot. After searching, I've read that the first shot confers about 65% immunity. She's wanting to do it 10 days prior to the trip, when ds if eight weeks.

Photomikey,
No adult type fun planned for this trip. Mom will be very busy, and ds and I will just be enjoying the warm weather. I'd love to get him in a pool, especially if they have a non chlorinated one.
We' re really leaning towards going, then we just looked in the corner and saw our beloved dog and remembered we have to arrange for her care. She's been great with the new arrival, but we darn near forgot about her during this decision making process.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

We travelled with our LO before she was 2 mos (therefore wasn't vaxed). As PPs have said, the flights were a breeze (we travelled from the east to west coast in one day & two flights). I found BFing on the way down was more important. Take off wasn't an issue.
We did take extra precautions wrt sanitizing in the airports/airplanes & being cognizant of germs. These things we wouldn't normally go overboard on, but I figured at this young age it was worth it, plus it helped keep my DH & I healthy.

Good luck - hope it's a fun trip. Take lots of photos
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #10
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Forgot to mention, when we flew we told them we'd be sky-checking the car seat, then as soon as you get to the gate we'd go up and ask if there was space to bring the car seat on. All the legs of our flights except 1 there was an extra seat for us and/or they moved us to where there was an extra seat. We didn't end up taking the car seat on with us, but you can. (I found it was wonderful to just snuggle with babe and wore a long wrap-around sweater to give her darkness & warmth.)

Also, we did CD our entire trip after the first leg where we tried sposies & had our one and only poopy blowout. So not worth it! But, we had access to laundry facilities.
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote