Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wwyd: travel w/3mo. old & vax question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmamma View Post
I traveled with my unvaxed new born (she was later vaxed, but was too young for anything at the time of traveling, except for the hospital dose of hep b which I declined.) with no problems. It was a 5 hour flight, and she slept most of the time, both ways.

Personally, I feel that breastfeeding is enough to support baby's immune system for the flight and I think that if you want to delay vaccinations then you should, regardless of travel.

I also think it's good that you are going along too. 6 days is a long time to not nurse and even with pumping she might find herself with a decrease in supply that could hinder her nursing relationship. Don't forget to remind her to drink plenty of water during the flight too!
all of this! we traveled with our twins when they were 4 weeks old from michigan to cali and back. i don't believe a vaccine is going to offer more immune support for an ebf baby than milk does. there is no way i'd compromise on a delayed schedule because of this trip. it seems like you have your reasons for waiting. they still apply. i wouldn't want to be dealing with any possible reaction away from home. but that's coming from a firm non-vaxxing mama.

regarding the car seat- absolutely bring it. the law might not require it, but that doesn't mean its at all safe.

have a great time! (also, be careful with such a young baby in the pool- it can be hard for them to maintain their body temps in the cool water.)

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
clothforyourangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We flew with DS2 when he was about 12 weeks old and he slept most of the time. I nursed during take-off and landing to keep the pressure out of his ears. We did have an extra seat for him so I brought his car seat (the carrier part) and strapped that into the airplane seat for when I put him down. Honestly, a super active 2 1/2 year old DS1 was a lot more work to travel with than the baby was.

I wanted to fly with him when he was even more brand new (10 days old) but the pediatrician shot that down super fast since they just aren't developed enough for the pressure changes and germ exposures yet. So, we had to miss DH's graduation from Basic and had to wait until there was base housing available at his tech school for us to move in to.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #13
pcjs
Registered Users

We lived in a hotel for 3 weeks with our son when he was born (adoption). If you don't co-sleep, if you can, bring a travel bed or something to sleep in as their crib was horrible. We ran out and bought a pack and play after a few days (he slept on my husband's chest and on the bed snuggled with my husband the first few nights). Absolutely get a hotel with laundry and bring your normal detergent (sometimes you can buy travel sizes or just bring in a travel container). And, pack lots of extra clothing. And, just ask for lots of extra towels to change baby, etc. They were super nice to us when we showed up with baby but of course we were basically living there (and my husband ended up commuting to work - we were about 90 minutes from home so they'd make sure I was ok during the day knowing I was alone). And, a mini-fridge is really helpful (they went so far as to replace ours with the formula as it was not getting cold). But, we also had full baby gear toward the end as we were going on shopping sprees as we didn't have much so we had bottle warmer, sterilizer, bouncy seat and lots of other stuff which obviously you can't travel with - we almost didn't get it all in my SUV when I got the call to go home .

Bring your car seat to the gate and see if you can get a seat for baby - far easier and safer or gate check there. I'd also bring the stroller to the gate. First trip (to disney) we gate checked our stroller and my husband put squirt in the bjorn but carried the car seat and it was a hassle. He was a lap baby. Going home we clipped the car seat to the stroller - it was in good as he was sleeping and rolled him to the gate and far better - trip home they gave us an extra seat. Put your seat and stroller in canvas bags (either specifically for them or generic ones). Get baby a Baby B"Air Vest - they have two sizes - my son is small and we went for the bigger size (so look at it and decide but the bigger one will last longer) - at least baby will be strapped in kinda if there is turbulence and can't completely go flying - better baby has a seat but obviously that's $$$. These are not FAA approved but we had no problem using ours.
http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.as...68113&RN=7375&

And, don't forget baby's birth certificate as they will check it.

I would be concerned about the vac. because you are in close quarters but plenty of people do fly with newborns - generally the rule is post 7 days without a note from the doctor (had friends have this issue as they didn't have the note and had to get it as airline would not let them on) but newborns/infants without it fly all the time, especially with adoptions and people having to move and other emergencies.

During the take off we gave tyn. which helped a lot the first trip - forgot the second and gave it later but it really helped with the ears/pressure and just have a bottle, pac. or breastfeed (what ever mom/you do) during take off and landing. We were really worried about flying and our son did great - he slept most of the first flight and only woke up as I had to go to the bathroom and then flirted with the woman next to us the rest of the time and the way home he had a seat so we just played, I fed him and he just hung out and it wasn't a big deal.

Have fun.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:43 AM   #14
jbaxter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It takes the series for DTaP to be effective and even then the rates are not good. One county in CA over 60% of confirmed cases of pertussis were up to date on vaccines. I my youngest cross country and to Punta Canna. I would not rush your vax schedule for a trip. DTaP is also one of the most reactive vaccines so I also would not get it less than a week prior to the trip.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:54 AM   #15
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
And, don't forget baby's birth certificate as they will check it.
have other people had this happen? we've flown about twice a year since the twins were born, and never once had anyone ask for a bc.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #16
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

Have had them ask for a birth certif once, and didn't have it. They let us on anyway. That is my favorite kind of "security", the kind where it doesn't really matter.

Also, try and stick to the facts about pertussis vaccine, not the "well I heard that in California..." kind of "facts".
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #17
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania View Post
have other people had this happen? we've flown about twice a year since the twins were born, and never once had anyone ask for a bc.
I don't know but Southwest asked us for it both trips. When I ordered my sons, I just got 4-5 copies so we'd have them in case we lost them, for travel, etc. (I also got him a passport just in case but I wasn't going to bring that on domestic trip).
Old 01-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #18
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomikey View Post
Have had them ask for a birth certif once, and didn't have it. They let us on anyway. That is my favorite kind of "security", the kind where it doesn't really matter.

Also, try and stick to the facts about pertussis vaccine, not the "well I heard that in California..." kind of "facts".
I had the birth certificate with me but I had all kinds of liquids, from bottled water to the 8 oz containers of formula to baby food, etc.. no one questioned it or cared (I thought they would take the bottled water and I'd have to buy more there which I had for the powdered formula as I wanted to make sure we had plenty in case of emergency).
Old 01-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #19
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomikey View Post

Here ya go.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/stories/...0.3b67bb2.html

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/sw...8899709a4.html
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #20
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa050824
http://www.vaccineinformation.org/pertuss/qandavax.asp

What your newspaper articles fail to mention is simple math. Assume a population of 100,000. Assume (I'm pulling this out of thin air) 95% vaccinate and 5% do not. Assume the pertussis vaccine protects 80% of those who get it. You now have 5,000 unvaccinated, 76,000 vaccinated and protected, and 19,000 vaccinated but unprotected.

Assume pertussis sweeps this community, and everyone who is vulnerable gets it. 5,000 who were unvaccinated and 19,000 who were vaccinated. ZOMG, 80% of the people who got it were vaccinated!!! The vaccine doesn't work!

Not true. The vaccine protected 76,000 people. It didn't protect 19,000 people. It didn't even have a chance for 5,000 people. Still, if you got the vaccine, your chances of not getting pertussis were still 80%.
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote