Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Zappa
Registered Users
seller

Stuttering

At around 18 months my DD started speaking in short sentences and developed a stutter. We were concerned and had her evaluated at 21 months by early intervention. She tested at or above her age in all areas and the case worker explained to DH and I the ins and outs of stuttering and how it is totally normal in many children. We were relieved and immediately put into practice the techniques we were taught to help her. We spoke slowly, made eye contact, never asked her to slow down or acknowledged her stuttering and generally modeled good speech habits. Her stuttering has come and gone since then and we always handle it as we did that first time. Within a few weeks or months the bad phase would pass and the stuttering would disappear again.

About 6 weeks ago she started stuttering again, except this time it is worse than it has ever been before. She will repeat a word or sound 20 times in a row (yes I have silently counted) before being able to complete the word or sentence. She squeezes her eyes shut and clenches her fist when trying to get the sounds out and sometimes she will just give up and stop talking. She is also now aware that there is a problem and has asked me "Mom, why don't my words work anymore?"

Because of the severity I called yesterday and made an appointment to have her evaluated again but they can't see her until the end of February. Does anyone have any experience or advice for us in the meantime?

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
Shaunam
Registered Users

Re: Stuttering

Be patient with her. Don't try to supply the words she's having trouble with and don't finish her sentences for her. Tell her you understand that she is having difficulty and that she can take all the time she needs to tell you something. DS developed a stutter recently and this is the advice I got from adults who stuttered as children.

Try not to worry...most kids outgrow it!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stuttering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunam View Post
Be patient with her. Don't try to supply the words she's having trouble with and don't finish her sentences for her. Tell her you understand that she is having difficulty and that she can take all the time she needs to tell you something. DS developed a stutter recently and this is the advice I got from adults who stuttered as children.

Try not to worry...most kids outgrow it!
Great advice! I also recommend going to this wesite for resources: http://www.stutteringhelp.org/

How old is your daughter? If you daughter is 3, maybe contact your local school district/elementary school and see if the speech language pathologist there can test her earlier? With moderate to severe stuttering, she may likely qualify for speech therapy through the schools. Also, she might be ready to practice using some fluency strategies such as "smooth, easy speech" vs. "bumpy speech."

Also just wanted to say that you're doing a great job utilizing all those other strategies. Its tough to hear a little one struggle to speak.