Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
SAHM/WAHM who breastfed.....

Did you pump too? Did you freeze milk?

Just wondering what I will need. With DD, I went back to work FT when she was 2 months. I pumped at work with a Medela PIS and sometimes at night with a single manual pump. I didnt get a ton of milk when I pumped so I mostly just pumped into bottles and gave that to my grandma to feed DD the following day.

This time I plan to WAH. I have the same pumps for just in case. I have some milk storage bags but I wonder if I need more, or if I even need any. I am hoping my supply will be better this time since I will be nursing more (and not just pumping).

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: SAHM/WAHM who breastfed.....

I bought some plastic milk containers that fit my pump. So I could pump into them, then put the sealing disc and lid on and freeze. I have an Amedia Purely Yours, and since Eveflo is owned by the same company, I was able to buy Evenflo storage bottles for about $5.00 for a four pack. I just wrote the date and amount on a piece of paper and taped it ot the bottle before putting it in the fridge/freezer.

That way, I wasn't wasting money all the time buying plastic bags to just throw away.

On the other side of things, I still have some left over storage bags that someone gave me, I'd be happy to FFS them to you if you'd like.

Also, if you do choose to use the storage bags, be sure to place them into a gallon size ziplock bag before putting them in the freezer. They are MUCH better protected from freezer burn this way. And another tip, freeze the milk with the bag laying down flat, they take up way less space, this way.

If you find you need some help with upping your breast milk supply, I would be happy to help you, as would many other mamas here, I'm sure!

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
I bought some plastic milk containers that fit my pump. So I could pump into them, then put the sealing disc and lid on and freeze. I have an Amedia Purely Yours, and since Eveflo is owned by the same company, I was able to buy Evenflo storage bottles for about $5.00 for a four pack. I just wrote the date and amount on a piece of paper and taped it ot the bottle before putting it in the fridge/freezer.

That way, I wasn't wasting money all the time buying plastic bags to just throw away.

On the other side of things, I still have some left over storage bags that someone gave me, I'd be happy to FFS them to you if you'd like.

Also, if you do choose to use the storage bags, be sure to place them into a gallon size ziplock bag before putting them in the freezer. They are MUCH better protected from freezer burn this way. And another tip, freeze the milk with the bag laying down flat, they take up way less space, this way.

If you find you need some help with upping your breast milk supply, I would be happy to help you, as would many other mamas here, I'm sure!

God bless!
Thanks for the advice. and the offer! I have about 45 bags now, and there's a 25 pack of Lansinoh bags on sale for $3.99 so I'm debating if I need them. What do you think? Maybe I'll buy them and keep the receipt and return them if I don't use it.

Do you have any tips for upping supply from the start? I have some Milkmaid tea that I plan to drink from day one (or two if I forget to drink it the first day). But other than that, I have no ideas. With DD, I ended up pumping more, drinking more water, eating oatmeal, drinking the teas, taking fenugreek, nothing worked. I dried up at 6 months
Old 01-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
jenndoxx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I tried to keep 4-5 bags of milk frozen in case I needed to go somewhere without him so that the person watching him would have some milk if they needed to feed him. I never really had more than that frozen at once. I nursed him for 14-15 months and I think I used up ~25 of the storage bags. I don't think I pumped at all after he was 7 months old, though.

Jenn
Mom to two little boys
jenndoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

thats true that once DS starts eating solids, I won't need as much milk if I was to leave him for a little bit. I didnt even think of that.
Maybe I'll be fine with the bags I have then
Old 01-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would wait and get them if you need them. I wasted so much money on pumps and bottles and my son ended up taking 1 bottle ever. I HATED pumping but also never really had a need to leave him either. I plan on pulling out my old electric pump and bottles just in case we need them with this baby but I doubt they will get much use.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I worked PT beginning when DS was about 4 months. I was never gone more than about 4-5 hours. I never froze anything, just pumped some before I left and while I was gone and he drank that. It was always enough. I think if I were staying home or being with him all the time, I would do the same, just pump in preparation for being away. Although it may be nice to have a little backup just in case. I think you will be fine with what you have.

As for your supply, the best way to get established is to nurse nurse nurse and then do it again. Keep your baby at the breast. Nurse during the night. Just keep on nursing and your supply should flourish. I wouldn't worry at all about pumping for the first few weeks, just focus on feeding the baby. You will do great!
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
doubleddog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it really depends on the person how important a pump is. When my milk came in it exploded everywhere and I don't know what I would have done without a pump. I had to pump after, and sometimes also before every feeding the first month and a half or two months (can't remember exactly how long) because I just had SO MUCH milk. I used plastic milk storage bags, froze them flat and then tossed them in a gallon ziplock). I think within the first 2 weeks I had filled 2 gallon bags with milk.

We used pumped milk at church. We have to be there for 2 services and Sunday School because of DH's job, so I would nurse once or twice, in between services/during Sunday School and keep a couple of bottles of milk in case she was hungry during the service so I didn't have to step out. I also loved bringing pumped milk and/or a pump and bottles on long car rides because I could just sit next to DD and feed her while DH drove instead of having to stop the car and nurse her. A few times I was pumping and feeding her at the same time during long trips, a pump in one hand and a bottle in the other, because she was too impatient to wait for a full bottle.
Babywearing, CDing SAHM. I love my DH and my 3 sweet girls, looking forward to meeting team green baby #4 April 2013.
doubleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've only pumped twice with dd
1) really engorged when my milk first came in
2) when I was having a D&C and didn't know if she could handle it

dd never used any of the milk.

I'm not wanting to pump...as much as my mom wants to watch her and feed her. I pumped for 8 mos with my son and didn't like it. I have a great PIS but would rather feed her myself!
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was given a pump and I pumped a little in the beginning thinking that I would want to store some milk and be able to have to option of offering a bottle if DH and I wanted to go out and have my mom look after DS. I found pumping to be an inconvenience though. Also, I didn't like giving DS a bottle. It felt wrong. Not saying it is. That's just how it felt to me. I think it's very different for every mom and you just need to figure out what works best for you and your LO and what feels right.
Qbit is offline   Reply With Quote