Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Recognizing colours

Is this a tough concept to grasp? My DS (turned 2 in Dec) seems to pick up on most things really quick. He learns songs fast and knows a good handful now, and he knows his ABC's and counts to 10 (well, 11 actually) but he just can't seem to get colours.
My first attempt at teaching him colours was months back. I started off by pointing to something (which happened to be blue...let's just say it was a block since I don't remember) and I said, "hey Arlo, what colour is this block? It's blue. The block is the colour blue." Well, that must have been the wrong approach because for a little while after that he seemed to think that the answer to, "what colour is this?" was, "blue!". We colour a lot, play with playdough, play with blocks and his toy trains, look at books, and so on, and we talk about colours a fair bit when we play, but he just doesn't seem to get it.
Now, most times when I ask him what colour something is, he responds with, "it's geen!" Which, as you probably guessed, is green. Everything is green now. I don't know where that came from. I was almost starting to worry that maybe he's colour blind and that maybe many colours look the same to him. But today when we were playing with playdough he was doing a pretty good job at matching the dough with it's corresponding lid. So now I think he probably sees colours just fine.
So what's the deal? Is it normal at his age to not understand and pick up on colours?

Advertisement

Qbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
donrantj
Registered Users
seller

Re: Recognizing colours

My 3 yr old is just learning his colors. He could match like items of the same colors for months now. But he couldn't tell me any colors until close to 2 months ago. All children develop at different rates though. So, some may know colors at 2 yrs, while others may take longer.

I've just started earning Amazon gift cards and pp. See how you can too!!

Last edited by donrantj; 01-25-2011 at 10:58 PM.
donrantj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yep normal. My 2.5 year old thinks everything is Pink, she loves pink.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
amberdawn723
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah I think that' s pretty normal at 2. My DD just turned 4 and has had her colors done for probably the last year or a little less. He'll get it eventually. My DD is just now recognizing letters and numbers. They all learn at different speeds and ages....
Gwendolyn (due 7-6-15)
amberdawn723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
litlckrets
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by donrantj View Post
My 3 yr old is just learning his colors. He could match like items of the same colors for months now. But he couldn't tell me any colors until close to 2 months ago. All children develop at different rates though. So, some may know colors at 2 yrs, while others may take longer.
This is my son exactly. He'll be 3 in a few months.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #6
KnPsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our older DD just turned three last week and up until just a couple months ago, pretty much everything was blue. Just recently it's really clicked with her and now she doesn't have trouble with colors.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OK, so totally normal! Thanks mamas
Qbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:08 AM   #8
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There are websites with color blind charts you may want to double check just for piece of mind. I wouldn't say matching playdough to a corresponding lid proves he can see color, as colorblind people see shades of gray and some learn to mask it by knowing the correct name for the shade. ( but I think he's completely normal for being newly 2!)

For learning, I have always just been specific "let's put on these brown pants and this green shirt". .. "would you like a red apple" etc just in everyday use and we've never had to work on colors I think bc we use their names so oftenn

Last edited by tygr2410; 01-26-2011 at 01:11 AM.
tygr2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:08 AM   #9
smilyme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds pretty normal. I thought DD was pretty good at colors since she could say a few and correctly identify a couple at 17 mo. Until the other day when she called all the crayons green, and I realized she isn't there yet.

www.clothisgreen.com
smilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #10
alybeth
Registered Users

I agree. My DS truly seemed to know his colors around 18 mo, and now at almost 3 can not consistently tell me any color other than brown and purple. I also have wondered about color blindness, just because he catches on to everything else so easily, and we incorporate colors into everything. Like your son though he is able to color match very easily (even different shades of the same color), so I think it's just something he's not into learning quite yet.
alybeth is offline   Reply With Quote