Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-26-2011, 03:51 AM   #1
apboyles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Help with baby gas!

PLEASE!

DS has woken up screaming during the night for the past two weeks with gas pains. He screams, arches his back, curls up, screams some more, arches his back, etc. . . .
HELP! He went from getting up 1-2 times a night to now 3-4-5 times with the gas. What do I do? Mylicon doesn't work and I don't know what else to try. We've done bicycling the legs, pushing his knees up to his chest, tummy massage.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 04:29 AM   #2
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: Help with baby gas!

Here they give babies fennel tea for tummy aches, but my son hates it.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
Havah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm cringing as I write this, but if he's EBF, you may have to start eliminating from your diet (if this continues) until you find out the trigger. DS suffered as yours does off and on from about 3 months until past his first B-day and we had no idea why (turns out he's sensitive to wheat). DD was comparable; but we were G-free for a while and it gave her little system a chance to adjust. Now she's actually got a "sturdier" stomach then her bro (she's 15 months; he's 4 1/2).
I'd start with caffeine; if that doesn't give results, then dairy. They're usually the culprits. Again, I'm cringing as I write this -- eliminations are SO hard on the mama on top of already lost sleep!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #4
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My baby is a month younger than yours and she's been doing the same thing. I notice it more when I have dairy, but other than that I am not sure what else is bothering her. I do give her the Hylands colic tablets and homeopathic chamomile, and those seem to help. She is also drooling a lot more, and I think swallowing all that saliva might be upsetting her tummy.
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:26 AM   #5
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havah View Post
I'm cringing as I write this, but if he's EBF, you may have to start eliminating from your diet (if this continues) until you find out the trigger. DS suffered as yours does off and on from about 3 months until past his first B-day and we had no idea why (turns out he's sensitive to wheat). DD was comparable; but we were G-free for a while and it gave her little system a chance to adjust. Now she's actually got a "sturdier" stomach then her bro (she's 15 months; he's 4 1/2).
I'd start with caffeine; if that doesn't give results, then dairy. They're usually the culprits. Again, I'm cringing as I write this -- eliminations are SO hard on the mama on top of already lost sleep!
My two had the same problems - with my first, it turned out to be dairy/peanut sensitivity. Once I eliminated both, problem went away (unless I ate broccoli!). My youngest had to have formula supplement - once we switched to a hypoallergenic formula, all was well. Do try to find out what the cause is - preventing it from happening in the first place is the best option.

On the other hand, no matter what they do or don't eat, all babies get bad gas occasionally. The best thing we found is Colic Calm, a tummy soother that's primarily activated charcoal. Used to only be available online, but I have seen it recently at CVS Pharmacies. It's not cheap - about $18 per bottle, but worth every penny, in my opinion. The only drawback, other than the price, is that if baby spits up within 3 hours of taking it, the spitup is black and will stain.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
3sweetboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I'm desperate I give them a warm bath (with them if they're inconsolable). To prevent, I had to burp him way more often than you would think is necessary. I laid him tummy down on my legs and patted his back while gently moving my legs side to side. The gas just rolls right out. I hope you get it figured out. Elimination of foods is soooooo hard!
3sweetboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
doodah
Registered Users
seller

yeah I did the elimination diet. I would never do this to myself otherwise because it was so annoying but I did it for the baby and it really, really helped! Start tracking what you are eating and see what could be irritating his tummy. Other than that, lots and lots of burping. We found that larger, less frequent meals helped our little one but she also had reflux.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, your kiddo could be allergic to something you're eating.

My DS was doing the same thing as a newb and after a couple weeks (when I finally had a duh moment and realized it was gas ) I eliminated dairy from my diet. (DH had a dairy sensitivity that was misdiagnosed as colic for 4 months as a baby, so that's why I chose that food first.) Next day he was SO much better. Then a few days later it came back, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why. Took me weeks before I realized he was also allergic to the soy I was drinking to replace the cow's milk.

Also keep in mind that your lo could have more than 1 food sensitivity.
blessedwifenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
apboyles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks guys! I thought it was going to be something I was eating. I was off of peanut butter there for six weeks during Christmas vacation and stuff and just started eating it again. I will most definitely try an elimination diet.

How do you actually go about cutting dairy out of your diet? It seems like it would be in practically everything.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I luckily only had to cut out major dairy sources--yogurt, milk, cheese, etc. I can still have butter on my potatoes and trace amounts in my food. Other babies need their moms to cut out even trace amounts of dairy in their diets (like looking at ingredients lists and avoiding things that have casein and whey, etc.), depending on the severity of their sensitivity.

If it's only been going on for 2 weeks then I'd look at foods you just started eating 2 weeks ago. Peanuts are definitely up there on the list of baby allergens! Hope that's all you have to cut out!
blessedwifenmama is offline   Reply With Quote