Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2007, 10:13 AM   #11
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What's the difference between Baptism and Christening?

We are Catholic and I have heard people refer to their babes being either baptized or Christened in the Catholic Church. I believe they are the same. We have both of our children Baptized last month in the Church....it wasn't like a dedication to where they will need to be baptized again when they are older.

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #12
katiejack
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We're not Catholic or Lutheran here. Christening/infant baptism is done as a baby. Baptism (what is what we believe in) is done after you accept Jesus as your savior and then call yourself a Christian. Baptism is an outward "confession" of faith and a belief and acceptance in Jesus as your savior. A public "confession" of faith.

That being said, we don't believe in infant baptism/christening because of what we believe baptism is for. As soon as a child/adult professes faith in Jesus as his/her savior, we believe that baptism can and should happen to publicly "confess" his/her faith.

(I put "" around the word confess because usually confess has a derogatory meaning - this is not!)
katiejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #13
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Basically it is whether or not water is involved. If a baby is dedicated there will be no water. They basically say a prayer over the baby and ask the church to help raise the baby.

Baptism involves water - sprinkling or dunking depending on the religion. In infants a baptism is the same as a dedication except you sprinkle water on them. In many religions you don't get baptized until you're older and then it is a declaration of faith.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:24 PM   #14
Muddypaws
Registered Users
seller

It is all baptism.
Baptism is the sacrament of the Church (any denomination ~ Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Protestant, Anabaptist etc ~ ALL are Christain, that is, the same religion) by which a person (adult or child) receives the water (dunked, sprinkled, dipped, splashed, whatever!) along with the Triune blessing (of Father, Son and Holy Spirit) accompanied by the promises that reflect faith in the Triune God, Jesus as Saviour and commitment to support the mission of the church (if it is an infant/minor, then parents may also commit to raise the child in the faith into which they are baptized). These are the elements of baptism (which was and still is sometimes called Christening, but the proper term is baptism ~ you christen a new boat ).
So... water, triune blessing, and when possible commitment. That is baptism across the board.
Anything else added is gravy. Age does not matter nor affect the efficacy of the sacrament. Some denominations practice infant baptism and some practice 'believer' or adult baptism. They are still one and the same. You are baptized ONCE in a lifetime as it is the Spirit's work, not our own.
In denominations that practice infant baptism it is generally followed by COnfirmation at a more mature time to confirm the promises made on your behalf and thereby make you a member of your church/denomination.
Baptism makes you a member of the Body of Christ/ Church Universal NOT a denomination or church.
Dedications may be used for families who would later practice believer baptism ~ a sign of their intent to raise the child in the faith.
So a Christening and a baptism are one in the same and baptism is the appropriate term which reflects the worldwide accepted practice.
I hope this helps ~ just had to stick my nose in as there were a number of things I wanted to clarify from the pps.

(The Rev.) L
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote