Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #11
starsandlollipops
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Having panic attacks over my GD test

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich*mommy View Post
Yep, anxiety can, lack of sleep, stress...will all affect your glucose.
This makes a lot of sense..

I was just 'diagnosed' w/ GD, but I've been monitoring my blood sugar and I *rarely* have any fluctuation in my numbers. I think the highest it ever has been was 150, and that was after eating a ton of pizza

I tried to explain to the midwife that I don't even drink soda, rarely tea, and never even eat candy. I'm just not a 'sugary' person. So drinking that glucose for the 3 hour was about the worst I've ever felt eating/drinking anything

I wish I could've declined it, but being it's a MTF, they won't let you

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
meganne79
Registered Users
seller

Tara is right. It shouldn't make too much difference (and not in the way you were hoping). Luckly you can have GD in one pregnancy and not others so it is not a given you will have it this time.

This is a huge source of stress for me every pregnancy too. I've passed just fine both times before but it makes me so nervous that I am not going to. Mine is still a month away. I will be closer to 30 weeks the way my appointments work out. I had been doing very well with my eating and weight but gained at least 8 pounds in the last 3 weeks . Hopefully not related to GD!

RN/CNM Student/SAHM to Maggie 03-23-06,
Nora 04-06-09, and Ben 05-03-11
meganne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #13
mamamaggie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsandlollipops View Post

Not that I'm advocating for it, but how can you not be allowed to decline something? I mean, when I first told the nurse I was declining it she said I wasn't "allowed" to. But then I talked to the doctor and she said It's my pregnancy, I can decline anything I want. I think some facilities are just more used to people declining things than others. At my sister's hospital a lot of people decline ultrasounds, saying they don't know the long term effects, so they asked if she wanted one.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #14
starsandlollipops
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamaggie View Post
Not that I'm advocating for it, but how can you not be allowed to decline something? I mean, when I first told the nurse I was declining it she said I wasn't "allowed" to. But then I talked to the doctor and she said It's my pregnancy, I can decline anything I want. I think some facilities are just more used to people declining things than others. At my sister's hospital a lot of people decline ultrasounds, saying they don't know the long term effects, so they asked if she wanted one.
From what I understand, (and it's totally by word of mouth) because it's a military facility, they won't treat you at. all. if you don't do what they want you to - like they go by the book on everything, and if you refuse, then they just won't treat you. It's really weird, because you can't even sue a MTF should something tragic happen, so I'm not sure why they take such dramatic means to protect themselves.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #15
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeviolin View Post
I never have issues with my levels...they always come back super low. I DO have issues with the drink, though. After I drink it I can hardly walk or move because it makes me so sick. It's a good thing I usually drag my husband to that appointment.

My 28wk appointment also involves RhoGAM, so I don't like that one in general at all.
Me too. Though it's not QUITE as bad as the progesterone shots, it's still thick and painful.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #16
katieupnorth
Registered Users
seller

Location: near the Starbucks, and the Starbucks, and the Starbucks...
My Mood:

I'm nervous about not passing the first test. Because last time I needed to have the 3-hour test and I puked. It was horrible.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #17
jennyw_98
Registered Users
seller

I went to Walmart and purchased a meter for $9 (and it is nice, even has memory and comes in pink or blue) and 20 test strips are $9. I tested high one time at 169 after a high sugar breakfast, but all other times it has been normal. If you have an FSA account it will cover it also.
jennyw_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #18
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsandlollipops View Post
This makes a lot of sense..

I was just 'diagnosed' w/ GD, but I've been monitoring my blood sugar and I *rarely* have any fluctuation in my numbers. I think the highest it ever has been was 150, and that was after eating a ton of pizza

I tried to explain to the midwife that I don't even drink soda, rarely tea, and never even eat candy. I'm just not a 'sugary' person. So drinking that glucose for the 3 hour was about the worst I've ever felt eating/drinking anything

But it's actually not about sugary foods. Carbs play a HUGE role - rice, pasta (yes, even the whole grain), wheat, fruit, legumes, etc. Bananas, apples, oranges - very high in carbs/sugar.

Even after eating that pizza you still shouldn't go to 150. Your pancreas should be able to handle it, especially if you don't eat that way often.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #19
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When you do a waking fast, you should definitely be under 100.

One hour after eating, normal working pancreas's (is that a word? LOL!) will stay below 125, although most people will not go that high. After 2 hours you should be back to normal (low 100's, less than that is ideal).
Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #20
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry, hope I don't come across as a know it all. This is something I definitely am familiar with and is pretty near and dear to me.