Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #21
nml12903
Registered Users
seller

Re: Having panic attacks over my GD test

Fasting before the one hour test can affect your numbers too. If your blood sugar is low from fasting, and then you drink the horrible drink, it can either put your pancreas into overdrive and give you a super low number, or it can do the oppisite and give you a high reading.

My number after the one hour test was 215. I had GD with all of my pregnancies, and I have been on insulin for the last two. I do not eat any sugar at all, but as previously stated, sugar are carbs, and carbs are what need to be watched. I'm amazed at the amount of carbs in some stuff! I can have 7 servings of carbs a day so 105 grams of carbohydrates. Some cereals have as much as 50 grams per serving! Also, remember, fiber is counted in the total carb count, but it can be subtracted. So, the bread I eat has 17 carbs in 2 pieces, but there are 8 grams of fiber, so really just 9 carbs in 2 pieces!

If there is anything anyone wants to know about GD, I've been through it all!!

Advertisement

nml12903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #22
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

The OB I saw for "shadow care" (I was also seeing a midwife occasionally and planning to UC) required the test, but I absolutely refused to drink the glucose drink. I wouldn't drink garbage like that for fun, I certainly wouldn't for a test I didn't need and didn't want. I don't need to see how my body reacts to pure sugar torture, because I wouldn't do it, period.

My midwife recommended alternatives, and I chose a peanut butter/jam sandwich on whole wheat bread. It had the same amount of "sugars" as the soda but it was a "normal" meal representative of what my "normal" diet is. I ate it on a fasting stomach, and didn't tell the doctor. Both times I did this (2 pregnancies) they said it was "normal" and there were no further comments.

I will say that I generally have blood sugar that is on the lower side of normal anyways and I eat a balanced diet of strictly whole foods with little refined sugar and no "white" flours or anything, so I felt comfortable with my workaround. Obviously, if you have reason to think you might have GD you will feel differently.

If you are stressing about the test, I recommend Rescue Remedy. It helps me be cool-as-a-cucumber calm before things like that.

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #23
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

I just wanted to add that I don't take the possibility of GD lightly at all, and I would never recommend anybody else do so. I choose not to comply with the current method of testing, but I don't believe in remaining ignorant of a possible difficulty. I just wanted to clear that up!

I've tested with a glucose meter during pregnancy and I know that my sugars have never been a concern (~60-63 fasting, always ~105 after an hour, always below 90 after 2 hours) no matter what I've eaten.

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #24
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyvegan View Post
The OB I saw for "shadow care" (I was also seeing a midwife occasionally and planning to UC) required the test, but I absolutely refused to drink the glucose drink. I wouldn't drink garbage like that for fun, I certainly wouldn't for a test I didn't need and didn't want. I don't need to see how my body reacts to pure sugar torture, because I wouldn't do it, period.

My midwife recommended alternatives, and I chose a peanut butter/jam sandwich on whole wheat bread. It had the same amount of "sugars" as the soda but it was a "normal" meal representative of what my "normal" diet is. I ate it on a fasting stomach, and didn't tell the doctor. Both times I did this (2 pregnancies) they said it was "normal" and there were no further comments.

I will say that I generally have blood sugar that is on the lower side of normal anyways and I eat a balanced diet of strictly whole foods with little refined sugar and no "white" flours or anything, so I felt comfortable with my workaround. Obviously, if you have reason to think you might have GD you will feel differently.

If you are stressing about the test, I recommend Rescue Remedy. It helps me be cool-as-a-cucumber calm before things like that.
Oh how I wish I could do that instead!!! Our lab requires that you drink it there
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #25
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamaggie View Post
I declined mine for this pregnancy. I did research and since it is not an issue in my family and I am not overweight I decided it just didn't make sense. They don't give you insulin anyway if you have it, they just tell you to eat better. And it gives them one more reason to suspect "big baby" and try to induce early.
You don't have to be overweight to get GD, I've had GD three times and I'm in a normal weight range for my height and age. I also had a friend who was super slim and a very healthy eater, and she had GD with her first (only) pregnancy. It really depends on your levels as to whether or not you would be started on insulin right away. With my last two pregnancies it was a while before insulin, but this time I was started on insulin right away and my diet was fine. Just speaking from my experience.

Last edited by staceyroo77; 01-27-2011 at 03:10 PM.
staceyroo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #26
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nml12903 View Post
Fasting before the one hour test can affect your numbers too. If your blood sugar is low from fasting, and then you drink the horrible drink, it can either put your pancreas into overdrive and give you a super low number, or it can do the oppisite and give you a high reading.

My number after the one hour test was 215. I had GD with all of my pregnancies, and I have been on insulin for the last two. I do not eat any sugar at all, but as previously stated, sugar are carbs, and carbs are what need to be watched. I'm amazed at the amount of carbs in some stuff! I can have 7 servings of carbs a day so 105 grams of carbohydrates. Some cereals have as much as 50 grams per serving! Also, remember, fiber is counted in the total carb count, but it can be subtracted. So, the bread I eat has 17 carbs in 2 pieces, but there are 8 grams of fiber, so really just 9 carbs in 2 pieces!

If there is anything anyone wants to know about GD, I've been through it all!!
I think you're my new friend! I've had GD w/ 3 our of 4 of my pregnancies. What is the earliest you were told you have GD? I've had it from the very beginning this pregnancy and last pregnancy. I didn't even do the GTT this time, they just sent me on over to MFM and I started checking my sugars about a week prior. I was started on insulin when I had my first appointment.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #27
MomToMyMonkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had GD with Caleb, but not with either of my girls. I did fail the 1 hour test with both girls, but then passed the 3 hour both times so I was okay. But, type 2 diabetes runs VERY strongly on both sides of my family, so I am at high risk for it and watch carefully for signs.

I'm having another girl this time, so I hope that I pass again. And I've always fasted before the tests (under OB care), but this time my MW told me to eat 1 egg for breakfast before the test and to eat a protein rich dinner the night before. I'm wondering if that will help? I know before that I didn't think the night before mattered, so I usually would eat whatever I wanted (lots of carbs, I'm sure) and then not eat anything after midnight.

Now I'm really wondering if that's why I failed the 1 hour both times with the girls??
MomToMyMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #28
nml12903
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyroo77 View Post
I think you're my new friend! I've had GD w/ 3 our of 4 of my pregnancies. What is the earliest you were told you have GD? I've had it from the very beginning this pregnancy and last pregnancy. I didn't even do the GTT this time, they just sent me on over to MFM and I started checking my sugars about a week prior. I was started on insulin when I had my first appointment.
My 3rd pregnancy I found out at 16 weeks. With this one, I knew from the beginning, so I ate accordingly, but I didn't take the test until 12 weeks. I started on Humilin N right away at night because my fasting sugars were usually around 92 and they want them under 90. I'm still not taking meal time insulin, but I don't know how long that's going to last! I ate chicken and a salad with oil and vinegar for dinner and my blood sugar was 139! I'm sure tomorrow they will prescribe me my flexpens! Last time I started insulin at 30 weeks. I'll be 25 weeks on Saturday, so I was hoping to avoid it for a little longer! I'm just glad that I'm lucky enough to live near a Diabetes clinic that is known worldwide for being the best at what they do!!
nml12903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #29
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nml12903 View Post

My 3rd pregnancy I found out at 16 weeks. With this one, I knew from the beginning, so I ate accordingly, but I didn't take the test until 12 weeks. I started on Humilin N right away at night because my fasting sugars were usually around 92 and they want them under 90. I'm still not taking meal time insulin, but I don't know how long that's going to last! I ate chicken and a salad with oil and vinegar for dinner and my blood sugar was 139! I'm sure tomorrow they will prescribe me my flexpens! Last time I started insulin at 30 weeks. I'll be 25 weeks on Saturday, so I was hoping to avoid it for a little longer! I'm just glad that I'm lucky enough to live near a Diabetes clinic that is known worldwide for being the best at what they do!!
My fasting blood sugars were high to start this time too, at least for pregnancy. They were in the upper 90's and occasionally just over 100. I'm on 10u Humalog/12u Humulin N in the morning, 4u Humalog at dinner and 6u Humulin N at bedtime. I was taking Novolog and Novolin, but I ran out while waiting for my mail order. I called the office for something to get me by for a few days before the order came. They only had the Humulin form of the NPH, and didn't want me to mix Humalog w/ Novolin so the gave me a vile of Humalog and Humulin N.

Sorry!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:41 AM   #30
Ames2x
Registered Users
Formerly: MackMommaMade
seller

My Mood:

i had to take the 3hr... I hate hate hate it.