Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-28-2011, 08:31 AM   #31
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Having panic attacks over my GD test

mine is coming up next Thursday. my MW left it totally up to me if i wanted to take the test. i was on the fence but she gave me a great info sheet about it, that also allowed for alternate testing methods aside from the glucose drink. that's what decided me - i also don't drink sugary crap but i do enjoy sweets and i get to eat a bunch of jelly beans figured it would be good to know if my levels were high or low, last time i passed with "flying colors" and i think my diet is better these days but i also have more stress and work out a LOT less. since my dad has type II there's some risk factor there as well. good luck to all of you mamas who have to take the test!

Lisa, mama to Adrian (3/5/09) and Carmen (5/12/11)
Finally living my WAHM dream!
My Business | Earn Amazon gift cards! | Be my swag friend?
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #32
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Having panic attacks over my GD test

Originally Posted by mich*mommy View Post
But it's actually not about sugary foods. Carbs play a HUGE role - rice, pasta (yes, even the whole grain), wheat, fruit, legumes, etc. Bananas, apples, oranges - very high in carbs/sugar.

Even after eating that pizza you still shouldn't go to 150. Your pancreas should be able to handle it, especially if you don't eat that way often.
I simply meant that drinking that glucose was like OD'ing on sugar for me.

Originally Posted by nml12903 View Post
Fasting before the one hour test can affect your numbers too. If your blood sugar is low from fasting, and then you drink the horrible drink, it can either put your pancreas into overdrive and give you a super low number, or it can do the oppisite and give you a high reading.

My number after the one hour test was 215. I had GD with all of my pregnancies, and I have been on insulin for the last two. I do not eat any sugar at all, but as previously stated, sugar are carbs, and carbs are what need to be watched. I'm amazed at the amount of carbs in some stuff! I can have 7 servings of carbs a day so 105 grams of carbohydrates. Some cereals have as much as 50 grams per serving! Also, remember, fiber is counted in the total carb count, but it can be subtracted. So, the bread I eat has 17 carbs in 2 pieces, but there are 8 grams of fiber, so really just 9 carbs in 2 pieces!

If there is anything anyone wants to know about GD, I've been through it all!!
That's interesting, I normally eat breakfast and not eating anything since dinner the night before and then drinking that crap it just .. sucked.

I just don't understand how or why my body is having issues now.. It's just frustrating, because I was fine w/ my other 2, and now I have to stress out about this
Lauren ~ Mama to a sweet princess a darling prince a little potato and another bundle coming soon!
ISO: XS WCW & Sbish Longies + ODC Loops xs/s/m (euc)
starsandlollipops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:34 AM   #33
Registered Users
I would suggest thinking very carefully before choosing to not take the glucose tolerance test. I took mine during the 3rd trimester and the 1 hr came back slightly high (139). I then took the 3 hr test and had 3 of the 4 results come back too high. I was super surprised to have GD. I am thin, no family history of diabetes. Never would have thought it would happen to me.

I also highly suggest if you have GD to get tested again at your postpartum exam. So glad I did because I found out I was prediabetic and am working towards not getting full blown diabetes.
adirondackgirl is offline   Reply With Quote