Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

How big is your kid's wardrobe?

I'm getting overwhelmed at how MUCH we have by way of clothes for our kids. It's really irritating me. They both have full sz dressers that are crammed full. Everything fits them, b/c I just went through and took out all the too small stuff.

We get a lot of hand-me-downs and I pass them on after we are finished with them. But I am still thinking of paring things down. How many clothes does a kid need? Seriously? How much do YOUR kids need?

My kids don't go to daycare or anything of the sort yet. So, it isn't as if they need to be dressed to go somewhere everyday.

I've got to get in and pull some stuff out. But what goes? what stays? What will I miss or need?

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How big is your kid's wardrobe?

It just so happens that I'm sitting here trying to figure that out for my crew. I know that my one and only dd has too much. I justify that because she is my only girl. But she is on board to pair down her wardrobe. I have already paired down the boys wardrobe, to a third of what they originally had and they are now better dressed and I am less crazed by the chaos. My youngest has a wardrobe that fits on one and 3/4 shelves in a linen closet and that includes his cd. I have one very small drawer for socks and his pjs.

I have a friend with many children who just paired down her kids wardrobe to three outfits each per season. I am not even exaggerating. She was drowning in clothes and hand me downs etc. She keeps what she loved and purged the rest. I have to ask her more specifics but I have noticed her house is looking more organized.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have bins and bins of clothes for my daughters (4 & 2), and each girl has at least a dozen each of pairs of pants (leggings included) and shirts and dresses in their dresser and closet. I don't consiously buy my children so many clothes, but I will admit I can get carried away. During the summer especially we have nicer clothes for outings, and then play clothes for everyday. We go to church every Sunday, so I like to have 4 to 6 dresses to rotate through. I kept the stuff from DD#1 for DD#2 to wear, but I still end up buying a few new things for DD#2 every season.

Now that #3 is a boy, I am going to go through the clothes I have and majorly pair down what we keep. Most of it I will sell or give to friends, but I'll probably keep some stuff in case we have another daughter.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
doodah
Registered Users
seller

We are fairly minimalists when it comes to clothing. My kids do have more than enough but compared to all their little friends, we don't have that much at all. In general, I figure out what they need for one week's worth of clothing. Thats usually two outfits a day, one pair of jammies a day, socks/tights, underwear, church clothing (about half a dozen nice dresses) and then special occasion things like swimsuits, gym leotards, birthday or picture outfits, coats and outerwear, etc. For every day, they both wear dresses and leggings for the most part during the winter because that is what works for us. I keep a box in each of their closets to put clothing in as soon as it is too small and then sort that out for keep or donate after it is full. They don't even have dressers. We hang almost everything and one has a small cabinet, the other a shelf for anything that has to be folded.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
doodah
Registered Users
seller

We are fairly minimalists when it comes to clothing. My kids do have more than enough but compared to all their little friends, we don't have that much at all. In general, I figure out what they need for one week's worth of clothing. Thats usually two outfits a day, one pair of jammies a day, socks/tights, underwear, church clothing (about half a dozen nice dresses) and then special occasion things like swimsuits, gym leotards, birthday or picture outfits, coats and outerwear, etc. For every day, they both wear dresses and leggings for the most part during the winter because that is what works for us. I keep a box in each of their closets to put clothing in as soon as it is too small and then sort that out for keep or donate after it is full. They don't even have dressers. We hang almost everything and one has a small cabinet, the other a shelf for anything that has to be folded.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mine average about 1.5 weeks worth of clothes, with that figuring at least 2 shirt changes per day (and hoping they can use one pair of pants or washing those more often), one pair of pjs per day, socks, underwear (about 4 per day's worth for DD since she's potty learning), plus a few church polos/dress shirts for DS and dresses for DD. DD also has about a weeks worth of sundresses in the summer. Both kids have two swimsuits each season (because they're in and out of the pool all day in the summer but I don't like letting them sit around in a wet/damp suit)...they each also have two winter coats each year, one is yard sale/thrift store for playing outside in, the other is nicer and for using when we go out in public Right now I have about 90% of DD's summer wardrobe and about 15% of DS's summer wardrobe in a 20 gallon storage tote and its only a bit over half full, that's usually where all of their off-season or bought-ahead-of-time clothes go, I've only had one year where I needed an extra tote and that was because I was lazy that year about selling the stuff that was outgrown.

Both of my kids have a storage bed with 3 drawers underneath and a small closet, all of their clothes fit in those...heck, one drawer under each bed actually holds toys instead of clothes. DD has a dresser in her room that her tv sits on, but the only drawer that is full is her pj drawer, the others have a very small handful of stuff in them...I need to go through her stuff soon though and get rid of the dresser, if there's too much stuff to be hung in the closet or in the drawers under her bed, I'll just put a cheapy plastic rolling cart with drawers in her closet to hold tights & accessories.

Last edited by smashncakes; 02-01-2011 at 01:24 PM.
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

all three kids share one small dresser and do not have a closet-that gives you an idea of how much they have
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

For kids over age 3:
10 Long-sleeved shirts
10 Short-sleeved shirts
4 pr Jeans
4 pr Shorts/Capris
10 pr Socks
10 pr Underwear
2 pr Pajamas
1 Heavy Coat
1 snowsuit/coveralls (we live in the country, so it's pretty messy outside)
1 Jacket
1 dress coat (adults only)
1 pr Gloves
1 Winter Hat
1 pr Boots
1 pr Everyday Shoes
1 pr Dress Shoes (2 for girls--1 summer and1 winter)
1 pr Sandals
1 Swimsuit
3 Winter Church Outfits (or 1 if you don't attend or if it's casual)
3 Summer Church Outfits (or 1)
misc. grubby/work clothes

This is also exactly what DH and I have in our wardrobes. It allows us to wash about once a week with some breathing room. It also allows DH and kids to go 2 weeks at school without repeating shirts (there is some repition on the weekends, though). We modified it a bit for DH because he works and hates long sleeves--so he has 16 short sleeved polo shirts (which he wears both at work and home) and 4 sweaters for really cold days (like today). Still a total of 20 shirts. He has 1 pair khaki dress pants, 1 pair navy dress pants, and 2 pairs jeans (they have casual Fridays), so still a total of 4 pairs long pants.

This minimal wardrobe has been great for teaching natural consequences--there have been times when ds has had to wear his sister's old coat to school because he got his all muddy, and dd wore boots to church because she misplaced her casual shoes AND both pairs of church shoes. I guarantee that will NEVER happen again

I like jeans or denim shorts/capris for all of us because they can be used 2 or 3 times with different shirts, don't stretch out or get holes like leggings can, and are dark which hides stains. Of course my babies have wool longies, though .

Children under age 3 still tend to have potty accidents and just are messier in general, so they get:
10 warm weather outfits (shirt + pants, or one-piece outfits)
10 cold weather outfits
1 pair socks for each cold weather outfit that doesn't have attached feet
1 pair of shoes if they walk
1 pair of sandals if they walk
2 sleepsacks/jammies
1 coat/snowsuit
1 jacket
1 swimsuit/swim diaper
1 winter hat

I just realized I should add (unless this is obvious), that the clothes in different seasons will be different sizes. I don't have 10 warm weather outfits AND 10 cold weather outfits in size 12 months for my daughter. She has 10 cold weather outfits in size 12 months and will have 10 warm weather outfits in size 18 months next summer.

Last edited by Melinda29; 02-01-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
mommyof3armywife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Troy I can berly wait 3-4 days before I have to do wash and he only wears one outfit and pjs a day
He has more clothes but will not wear them maybe about a weeks worth
my girls have way way too many Naomi maybe about 2 weeks and Aimee well right now I need to go get her 12 month stuff out since she is now in her 18 month stuff full time but with all of it easly 3 weeks worth of stuff, once I get it all out mabybe down to about a week and a half.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My girls have a disgusting amount. I bet they could go close to two months without wearing the same outfit twice. It's a combination of having three girls (to pass down), my shopping, and the grandparents shopping. It's really gross and I have realized that I need to stop. They have such cute stuff that they rarely get to use b/c there is so much.

On the flip side my two youngest are almost the same size so I share a lot between the two. And when they get donated they still look great.

dang consumerist in me