Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #21
Sparklebug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: VBAC=Induction? WWYD?

As long as you and baby are healthy, you have every right to refuse induction and that's exactly what I would do! Starting labor off with interventions is definitely not the best way to ensure a successful VBAC... that said-- if you need to be induced,it is still possible to have a successful VBAC birth.

I had a medically necessary induced labor and successful vbac last June. I know what it is like to have to literally refuse a csection in the hospital when the doctors are "recommending it's time to have one... you did give it a good try, after all" (birth story in sig, if you're interested-- I read all the vbac stories I could while I was pg, to help boost my confidence and for encouragement that it really is possible).

Also, I would personally think very carefully about my care provider, because it is an enormous help to know that your mw or dr is truly supportive of your decision. Just arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible and have confidence in your body's ability to birth on it's own-- you can do this!

Advertisement

Sparklebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #22
flutterfly
Registered Users
seller

you have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME~! Um, isn't induction a big reason women have c-sections. That is messed up! I have had 2 successful vbacs- at home- went into labor myself.
flutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #23
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

Also I wanted to say as long as you and babe are healthy labor as long as possible at home. That way there will be fewer interventions.

There really are more risks in the long run with induction than there are for a VBAC, because often inductions lead to sections and sections are a major surgery. Look into the stats on the risks of sections (this is not a csection hate bit here, I had 2 and know that they are life saving in many instances, but this is addressing csections as a whole). Csections carry many many risks and actually are considered statisically more dangerous than Vbacs..at least as of 3 years ago..I am going to assume the research has not changed too terribly much since then.
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #24
alwaysfallingup
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the great information and support, everyone! I am going to talk to my MW at my next appointment and let her know my plans. We'll see what she says. If it's really a sticking point and she seems unsupportive, I may consider looking into another practice. It is really important to me to have a VBAC if at all possible, and I want to have the best chance in the most supportive environment for it. I will update and let everyone know what she says after my appointment. And, if anyone has anything else to share, do! It's really encouraging to me!
I read Tarot! Click here to get a reading!
alwaysfallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #25
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

I had two pitocin-induced VBAC's following my two c-sections! Pitocin is considered safe for VBAC induction and there is no evidence it increases the risk of uterine rupture. Cervadil or methods of cervical ripening DO increase risks of uterine rupture and are not recommended for women attempting VBAC. And please everyone remember, ANY woman's uterus can rupture during labor, whether she's had a c/s or not! The risks are only slightly higher for a woman who has had a c/s, and not nearly enough to be more worrisome than the risks of another c/s!

The reasons inductions fail or succeed have to do with whether or not a woman's body is ready for labor. Are you familiar with the Bishops Score? Its a way of determining how ready your body is for labor and therefore how effective an induction is expected to be. http://www.amazingpregnancy.com/preg...icles/173.html

My Bishops Score with my last two was favorable, and so induction worked for me. However, I am not a fan of routine induction and while there is no reason a women who needs to be induced cannot have a VBAC, I see no reason why a woman who wants to have a VBAC would need to be induced either without some other medical cause.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #26
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Interesting. My CNM and the OB I have to consult with for a VBAC both said they will not induce period, due to the weak spot on the uterus from the first section. They said they can augment labor, and they can attempt to break my water if I'm dialated enough on my own to get in there. She said if I do get into labor on my own they can use a little pitocin to help things but not a large dose. It's so strange how different the practices are around the country.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #27
mamamegan841
Registered Users
seller

There are PLENTY of people who have successful VBACs without being induced. I would think that being induced would hurt instead of help the situation since the pitocin makes the contractions stronger than normal. If I were you, I would find myself another OB or MW.
mamamegan841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:40 AM   #28
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Please talk it over with your providers. I've had three VBACS (one home birth) in two different states and I was never told that I would need to be induced unless I was way overdue. I didn't use pitocin. The only requirement was that an ob/gyn had to be on standby in case I needed a section and I had to have an iv opening ready in my arm.

What was the reason for your first section?

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:41 AM   #29
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Please talk it over with your providers. I've had three VBACS (one home birth) in two different states and I was never told that I would need to be induced unless I was way overdue. I didn't use pitocin. The only requirement was that an ob/gyn had to be on standby in case I needed a section and I had to have an iv opening ready in my arm.

What was the reason for your first section?

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #30
alwaysfallingup
Registered Users
seller

Re: VBAC=Induction? WWYD?--Update 2-9

Thanks for sharing all the opinions and great info, everyone!

Bumped for update in OP!
I read Tarot! Click here to get a reading!
alwaysfallingup is offline   Reply With Quote