Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
gaia06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Vit D supplement?

I just went to DDs 2 month checkup with her yesterday and our Pedi gave us a prescription for Vit D as a supplement since she is BFing...I never did this with our first daughter as it was never recommended to me by our pediatrician or anyone else...is it totally necessary? For some reason I'm a little miffed that someone is telling me my breastmilk is not enough for her...just wondering if everyone does this?

Advertisement

gaia06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
We use it. The vast majority of people are deficient in vitamin D and scientists are finding that even the current RDA might be too low. It is likely that you are deficient as well. Our modern lifestyle just isn't conducive to synthesizing vitamin D. And vitamin D is essential for baby's brain development. There is lots of research being done into whether low vitamin D in infants is linked to autism, schizophrenia, and other neurological issues.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
txmap
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vit D supplement?

I could not convince my Ped. to give me a Rx for it, because we live in Texas (so we presumably get enough sun), so I just take extra myself. There is TONS of research about the rampant deficiency of Vit. D in the general population. With everyone slathering on sunscreen to avoid skin cancer, we don't absorb the Vitamin D from the sun like we should. In addition to what the pp mentioned, adequate Vit. D levels are one of the very best preventions against colds and flu also.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
eedw9
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had the same thought as you when I had my first son, but like the prior person said, it's important. If you get the Carlson drops (Whole Foods and probably elsewhere), they don't have the extra preservatives that the D-Vi-Sol and Tri-Vi-Sol have.
eedw9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
melilo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do it. In this climate, we get almost no sun in the winter. I take it, and I give the drops to my baby.

Don't get the emfamil, get Carlson's or something that is only 1 drop per dose instead of 1 ml.

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do it in the winter because the sun's angle doesn't provide any Vit D this time of year (and we're all cooped up anyway).

We use the Carlson drops. 1 drop on the nipple/day, super easy and not messy to do. The other vitamin stuff has extra crap that is totally unnecessary for a BF baby, it's gross tasting, and it's a giant mess.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I supplemented myself, but you need a lot if you are going to do that. I did 5000 units, plus the 400 in my multivitamin. If I was going to do it again, I might choose the Baby D-Drops from Carlson that others have recommended. I have some now and have tried them, and I think they are good. When my first was a baby, everyone was saying that supplementing with vitamin D wasn't necessary and they get enough in the sun for a few minutes per day, but the research has been coming out since then that we really should be getting more vitamin D. Not just babies, all of us! In our culture, we are indoors a lot, and when we go out we cover up and use sunscreen, and then we bathe every day so we wash off the vitamin D that we did make before we have time to absorb it. So yah, I would do it, particularly in the winter. Think of it not as a condemnation of your breastmilk, just of our modern sun-fearing culture!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Wendy Gallagher
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wow, who knew... Thanks for all the new information ladies... I would have said "we get enough sun" and that may be true for us outdoorsey folk here in CA... but thanks for all the new information...We get so much pressure sometimes from doctors, so I can appreciate the concern as well...
Wendy Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
Little Miss Kate
Registered Users
Formerly: JAMs Wife
seller

Yup, we use em.... D Drops in our house. Depending on where you live you do not get enough sun to make enough vitamin D, and it is not likely that you are sunning your newborn no matter where you live. Don't stress about it, it is very common, and we give them to be on the safe side.

My BLOG - Check out the Giveaways going on now!!!
Little Miss Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #10
ksingh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think that you taking a liquid multivitamin that has vitamin D in it is good enough. If it is too cold outside like it is here, then that is your best option. You could go get tested to see if your levels are good after a couple weeks, because if your levels are okay, then babies are too.
ksingh is offline   Reply With Quote