Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tired of my belly being the talk of the town

Sorry, I just need to vent a little. I only work once a week, and the first thing that EVERYONE has to say when I get there is, "wow, look how big you are getting!" I'm only 22 weeks, and I'm not THAT huge. It's my third, and I haven't gained much weight anywhere except for my belly, so it sticks out some. One co-worker today asked me how far along I was and then said, "You are going to get HUGE!" Gee, thanks lady. I mean, what am I supposed to say to that?

My mom and MIL are also annoying, there is always a comment about how it's growing, how big I am getting, etc. I know they are all just trying to connect and everyone is excited, but really? I'm still me, ya know?

Advertisement

Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Salidwyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tired of my belly being the talk of the town

I totally understand! I went to visit my family in Michigan a month ago and my dad's girlfriend walked in and said "HI BELLY!!!! Oh, hi Andi!" and I love her to death but still.... I totally understand.

DH will do this sometimes too where he focuses just on the belly and forgets WHO the belly BELONGS to. I usually make a comment about being an incubator, since I don't really feel like there's a difference between myself and a plastic box aside from the fact that the plastic box doesn't complain about it, and that gets the point across.

I don't really get it but I know where you're coming from and it drives me nuts. You can be a totally awesome person that's fun to be around and fun to chat with and then you get pregnant... and then people only care about the belly. Any fun or chatting or even speaking to you becomes a distant memory. Does it get that much worse after the baby is born or do I go from being an incubator to a food source?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
MamaNeeNee
Registered Users
seller

I understand how you feel! This is my first baby, and I don't like all the attention on my stomach either. My sister is especially annoying to me. I feel like the bad guy, because I know everyone is just excited and I should try to lighten up. But seriously, it gets old. Like, don't talk to my stomach excessively every time you see me! Or insist to play guitars around me so that the baby can hear them, and turn her into a "bohemian" baby, as she liked to call her. Get your own baby! What if I don't want to sit there and listen to you talk to my stomach and play guitars? I don't care if you do that after I have the baby, but can I not be there for it? Haha! But you can't be rude to her so you just shrug it off, and nod along. It's annoying how much dumb crap pregnant women have to deal with. You're already thinking about being pregnant 24/7, planning for your baby 24/7, everything in your life revolves around it! It's like, yeah I really want to sit here and listen to you talk to me about me being pregnant and have you call me names like "Chubbo", give me a flipping break here people! I know after my experience of being pregnant, I'm going to completely know what's acceptable and not, and what other pregnant people want to talk about and what rubs them the wrong way!
MamaNeeNee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

Uh yeah. I was really sad when my work friend delivered because I knew all the office ladies would have to project somewhere. Sure enough it's a daily dialogue. Wow you're popping out today! Wow you seem like you don't feel good! Wow you sure aren't gaining weight! (I can't even count how many WOWs are directed at my tummy every.single.day.) I don't mind if people have a legitimate conversation topic, but I don't feel the need to have a belly comment with every "good morning".

DH felt the same way even. Everyone at work asks him about the baby. They don't even really say hi. When he calls his family, it's "how's the baby, how's Pi, how's Mindy" and sometimes they get around to asking about him, sometimes they get distracted and forget
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
miraclebaby
Registered Users
seller

My dh and i were talking and he said "since you plumped out". Not a flattering reference to YOUR Baby i'm carrying.. thanks...

I hear you.

How about "are you sure its not twins?"
Yeah, i'm sure.

Join me swagging http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/stephlawler
miraclebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
emconigs
Registered Users
seller

When people used to make comments like "wow your getting so big" I would reply, "well that is the plan." Mostly it would catch people off guard and they wouldn't talk about it much anymore. Perhaps I came off as rude, but I agree it is no fun to have your tummy be the first thing anyone comments on.
emconigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emconigs View Post
When people used to make comments like "wow your getting so big" I would reply, "well that is the plan." Mostly it would catch people off guard and they wouldn't talk about it much anymore. Perhaps I came off as rude, but I agree it is no fun to have your tummy be the first thing anyone comments on.
That's a good one!
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
Salidwyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraclebaby View Post
My dh and i were talking and he said "since you plumped out". Not a flattering reference to YOUR Baby i'm carrying.. thanks...

I hear you.

How about "are you sure its not twins?"
Yeah, i'm sure.
My DH has known better so far than to make any comments like that. So far

The twins thing drives me nuts and that's something DH DID make the mistake of joking about a couple of months ago. I have a very short torso so my uterus was up to my belly button at 13 weeks, instead of the 20ish weeks that it would be there for normal sized people There have been a few more twins comments but people quickly realize how NOT amused I am by that and stop.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
twinmomma07
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yep, comments can be frustrating. I got the "are you sure it isn't twins" comment quite a bit when I was preggo with my boys, lol; however, I had a great response--yes as a matter of fact it is twins!
Old 01-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
miraclebaby
Registered Users
seller

I had 9 people ask me how much longer in goodwill today. Which would have been fine except you have to spend 10 mins listening to their birth stories and what not.... all i was looking for was a pair of skates...

Join me swagging http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/stephlawler
miraclebaby is offline   Reply With Quote