Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Hembie
Registered Users

Water broke 24 hours ago but no contrations

I'm at home trying in vain to have a HBAC. My water broke over 24 hours ago and if by the morning when it will have been 36 hours since spontaneous rupture without contractions. I will head to our local hospital where my midwife has rights and wait some more with her and baby (and my husband of course).

I have made a plan with my midwife that as long as the baby is happy, the fluid is clear and I"m fine I won't induce. Really I"m feeling great if not a little bored with the lack of progress.

How long do think this baby could just hang out with broken waters? Are there any women on this board who have gone an extended period of time with few contractions? I just can't wrap my head around why this baby won't come out.

FYI I've taken a full round of antibiotics so that's not really a concern at the moment. We're all just hanging out at home until the morning.

Advertisement

I am married to Jeff and we have our oldest two children, who are twins. Our first son Elliott and our daughter Imogen. Our third child and second son Ciaran. He was born by VBAC. Our third son and last addition to our family August, was born with no drugs. My second VBAC.
Hembie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
MamaNeeNee
Registered Users
seller

Re: Water broke 24 hours ago but no contrations

I wish I could offer you advice! I'm interested to see if anyone else here has had a similar experience to you also! I'm expecting my first in about 5 weeks, and I had a lot of questions about the water breaking and how it correlates with labor progression. My midwife just said it's different with every woman, some it happens hours before labor, others during, some babies are born with the sack intact. I'd say your fine as long as your baby is showing no signs of distress. I would be worried about maybe an infection, but you mentioned you took antibiotics for it already? The baby will come when he/she is ready! But I hope it happens really soon for you!!! Hang in there and let us know how it goes!
MamaNeeNee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
mommyof3armywife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

from what I understand it is not safe to go to long after your water breaks but my water never broke until I was pushing so I don't know. I assume that you have already called your midwife and let her know and she would know best. Good luck honey I am sending you all the labor dust!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
Lexy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hey momma!! I was in a "similar" situation with my last birth in July 09. My water broke (not trickle...definitely a gush) at 36wks. I was also attempting a VBA2C and wanted to stay home as long as possible. I first checked to make sure nothing was hanging out (prolasped chord, foot...ect.), watched for fetal movement...ect. I tried walking tons, rocking, hands and knees, squats...lol...everything to get "a" contraction. Nothing. I had some like braxton cramp like contractions (very very few over many many hours). Obviously don't get in the bath or shower...that could slow down labor and especially hinder labor if contractions haven't even started. LOL.

Okay back to your question:

After 12hrs. I agreed to go to hospital and see what happened there. Got there about 14hrs. after water broke. 16hrs. after water broke (trying everything, nipple stimulation, ect.), I agreed to pitocin. Anyways, DS#3 was taken 26hrs. after water breaking (and never really laboring) by c/s. Doc. had already said that it was a mandatory law (for the wellness of babe, regardless if I objected....he had to look out for babies help) that after 24hrs. of water broken and no labor, whenever babe was born he would have to be put on antibiotics for 24hrs. after birth...I didn't want him on anything. But doc. let me go over 2hrs. and still didn't give DS any antibiotics. Anyways there was other reasons for c/s also....but that is the only part that would help with your story.

i ended up having a stage 3 placenta that was failing, and that is what triggered my water to break...but contractions never started, because baby wasn't ready to come out. Anyways, my placenta could have failed during any part of those 26hrs. and could have ultimately killed DS after cutting off all oxygen and blood supply within minutes.

Nonetheless I am again attempting a VBA3c with this one also...so I didn't say that to scare you at all. Just telling you a bit of background with the story
Old 01-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Is it leaking? Or did it GUSH out?

I had my water "break" a week before DS came out. But it was a TINY trickle. So the risk was very minimal. By tiny, I mean that my undies were damp but not even wet enough to warrant the use of a pad. Maybe a pantiliner, if I'd wanted one I suppose... JUST enough to turn the litmus paper blue.

We did everything to start contrax, but they just didn't come. We tried castor oil, nipp!e stimulation, walking, walking, walking, macca (some herb?), and on and on. We tried for about 18 hours nonstop. In the end, our totally awesome MW said that she was not going to test again to see if my water was broken, she was going to assume it was a fluke, and had me just rest and take my temp every hour to check for possible infection. DS stayed in another WEEK!

Remember that your BOW can repair itself. Some mamas can leak amnio fluid for WEEKS - like they start leaking mid-pregnancy - but there is nothing that can be done, other than to wait and hope it repairs itself.

So, my advice would be to wait if you are only leaking a tiny tiny bit. But, that's my own opinion based on my personal experience and my "google" degree about how risky it is. If it's a slow leak, and you are not receiving regular cervial checks, and you are not running a fever, and you are not GBS+, and the fluid is clear, the risk is not huge, and *PERSONALLY* I would not ever consent to induction under those circumstances.

I hope that baby gets moving for ya! Have you tried any natural induction techniques? Maybe some different positions to try to move the baby lower in your pelvis to apply more pressure to your cervix? Nipp!e stimulation?

Big hugs - what a frustrating, and nerve-racking thing to be dealing with. Keeping you in my thoughts mama!

Last edited by Kiliki; 01-28-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
Hembie
Registered Users

My Midwife is monitoring the situation. In Canada Midwives are Nursing Midwives and are equivalent to Nurse practitioners. So they can prescribe medication. Infection is not a risk at present as I've taken a full dose of antibiotics. Baby is being monitored and is happy and healthy.

The leak was not a huge gush but initially was relatively significant. At this point it only gushes a little when the baby or I move around.

Even if/when I go to the hospital the doctors are not going to push me into induction. There is no law like that here but we'll see. I did pump about 30 minutes ago and got some PMS like cramp contractions. I'm going to bed and we'll see what happens. I'm expecting to head out tomorrow. I may pump again before hand just to see. lol
I am married to Jeff and we have our oldest two children, who are twins. Our first son Elliott and our daughter Imogen. Our third child and second son Ciaran. He was born by VBAC. Our third son and last addition to our family August, was born with no drugs. My second VBAC.
Hembie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
sjebillings
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sending you more labour dust and ELV's. Hugs!!!!!! Will be looking for updates
Old 01-29-2011, 12:25 AM   #8
Crystalftw
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just don't put anything up there!!! Even if it is what they call "sterile."
<3-Crystal *Radically on fire for Christ!* Continually thanking the Lord for my Navy man & 5 children; my First-Born Son(7), my Surprise Pretty Girl 4/15/11, & my 3 in heaven. My blessed life!!Get the "swag" wag!
Crystalftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:47 AM   #9
miraclebaby
Registered Users
seller

Good luck, can't wait to see your baby pics!!

Join me swagging http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/stephlawler
miraclebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraclebaby View Post
Good luck, can't wait to see your baby pics!!

Good luck mama