Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #11
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Water broke 24 hours ago but no contrations

You can safely wait a long time as long as no one is putting anything in you, no sex, no cervical checks, etc and you are not running a fever. When I have had ruptured membranes prior to labor I take vit C every 2 hours.
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/prom.html

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #12
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't have anything to add except good luck and ELV's! I hope you're holding your baby by now, or at least on your way!
Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #13
g&g
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was Group B +, so when my water started leaking, I had to be admitted & start with antibiotics and everything. I was having mild contractions every 3-5 minutes & only leaking water with them. They let me labor for 7 hours on my own before starting pit. My water had been 'broken' for over 20 hours before I had DD and we had to stay an extra day in the hospital because of how long & my Group B status. Hope you start labor soon!
Katy, outnumbered Marine wife/mom/geologist to a spunky Hoo, a sweet Pipes, with #3 due in Aug, and 2 crazy wiener dogs, Graben and Gabi.

g&g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
KandFsMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: keirinsmomma
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like you have a good midwife Momma, I hope your contractions pick up! (Or show up rather.)

It used to be more commonly assumed that it was only safe to deliver within 24 hours of your water breaking. (That was the rule at the birth center where DD was born almost 4 years ago. They would transfer you to the Hospital at that point.) They have since changed this and it is a case by case basis.

I agree w/ Momma to a bunch, don't let anything go inside you and don't let anyone check you, and you can go for days.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I hope you're holding your baby by now!
I was going to suggest pumping but it looks like you were trying that. Like others said, as long as nothing goes up there you're pretty safe. Obviously monitor your temp JIC but I hope the pumping helped.
Contractions aren't always triggered by rupturing membranes, but it typically prostaglandins that help trigger your body to contract which is what "sweeping the membranes" is supposed to cause. Doesn't always work obviously, but if you're ready it does. The pumping should help release those and oxytocin too!
Update when u can!!
Old 01-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #16
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
You can safely wait a long time as long as no one is putting anything in you, no sex, no cervical checks, etc and you are not running a fever. When I have had ruptured membranes prior to labor I take vit C every 2 hours.
You really can wait until baby decides to come out on it's own as long as you don't put anything up there at all. Don't let anyone sweep your membranes or anything like that either. When I called my midwife after my water broke with DS3, she said, "That's great, but don't get all excited just yet!" She said the week before, she had a mom go for 6 whole days between water breaking and onset of labor. She wasn't worried about it in the least, which was a great comfort to me. Keep checking the fluid to make sure it's clear, take your temp if you want to, practice good hygiene, and wait. Sending ELV to you, Mama!
Oh! And pumping... keep doing it. The aforementioned DS3 was 9 days "late", so my midwife suggested pumping to try to bring labor on. I think she recommended I do it 3 times a day for 20 minutes each time or something like that. I was pumping when my water broke and I started having contrax a couple hours later.
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #17
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post

I know somebody who had their water break a whole week before labor started and she just didn't get cervical checks, have sex, etc and monitored her temp and looked for any other signs of infection and everything turned out fine.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #18
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, my experience with my firstborn was that I am pretty sure that my water broke on a Tuesday afternoon. It was never really confirmed because the paper test also showed positive to the lube my midwife used. I am pretty certain that my water broke that day, though. I didn't go into hard labor until late Wednesday night and he was born very early on that Friday morning.
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #19
sjebillings
Registered Users

My Mood:

Old 01-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #20
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

I stayed pregnant 5 days after PPROM with my 34weeker. I stayed pregnant 2 days after PPROM with my 33 weeker. Both times I had to be induced to have contractions.

ETA: I was hospitalized within 3 hours of PPROM with both and on antibiotics and under the care of a midwife and obgyn's both times. I also had continuous fetal monitoring and bedrest due to risk of prolapsed cord. I never went into labor with either girl and was induced because of the risk of infection vs the benefit of staying pregnant longer at 33 and 34weeks gestation.

Last edited by 3rockstars; 01-29-2011 at 03:52 PM.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote