Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
fluffycheeks
Registered Users
seller

How did you get turned on to cloth diapers?

I've been curious. I know some people plan on doing it their whole lives, and others just stumble into it. So how did you come to your decision to cloth?

For me, it was something that I had wanted to do for a long time, but I was just intimidated by it because I didn't know anyone in real life that did it. Then, I met a couple of girls at church that did it. They showed me their stuff and talked to me about how easy it was and how much they liked it. I went home and bought diapers that night. This was quite awhile ago, and I have never looked back or regretted my decision. I guess I just needed to see in person that it could be done.

How about you?

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
yodaro
Registered Users
seller

Re: How did you get turned on to cloth diapers?

When I was pregnant I put cloth diapers on my registry for my baby shower but I received a cake made of sposies instead. Combined with the packages of disposable diapers I received from the hospital, from friends and neighbors I did not need to buy a single diaper for the first two months. After my supply went dry I tried a cloth diaper trial for 21 days. I chose my favorite diapers, invested in a nice stash and have been cloth diapering for three months now.
yodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
Sherrie87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i was told by a friend while i was prego, and i just thought it was cool as heck. My inlaws all told me i was crazy and would never stick with it..blah blah blah...my mother just thought it was cool as heck and my grandmother was soooo excited and just loved the idea!!

While iw as prego i spent about 100 dollars on Kushie diapers, newborn and small size got an AWSOME deal..lol and i had the newborn all packed up ready to go to the hospital when i went into labor and took them with me and the nurses told me that they couldn't promise that i would get them back because the nurse might throw them away...when they had him, witch wasn't very often..giggle so i decided to wait. well i got home and with 4 kids i was just to busy to try them out fully. I did use 3 or 4 of them here and there..but was never full blown on them. At about 3 months old i got back on the kick and i bought some onesize diapers as i wasn't totaly sure witch size..but the larges fit my huge chunky breast feed chunk..lol and he hsa been in them ever since. I have tried everything underthe son...PF flats fitted prefittes daddy flats...ect PUL wool fleece..AIOs, AI2, and pockets, and i fell in love with my pockets. so we have a stash of about 40 or so old style and OLD OLD sytle FB diapers that we use with MF, really didn't care for hemp...dont no why and i have never had stinky issuie..maybe i'm just lucky?..lol

We will be TTC starting next month and i will be using a little of everything on the new baby. PFs, fitteds, AIO, pockets, wool, PUL I started building a stash about a year ago..HAHAHA i have a BUNCH of baby stuff..but still not done...HAHAHAHA

well not that i rambled..lol
Wife to Joey, 1-12-07 Mother to six , Britney 10/13/00, Jared 05/27/03, Hunter 05/10/04, Kimbery 10/26/06,Kole 09/05/08, Alaina 03/20/12 I CD of corse..:P, co-sleep, BFing,non-circumcising, baby wearing, pretty crunchy..:P Fan Page Come "like" Me.. My IHA/ISO I LOVE to trade.. Blog post of some stuff I can make you!..:P
Sherrie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
fluffycheeks
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrie87 View Post

well not that i rambled..lol
I love a good ramble!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

I always knew I'd cloth diaper its how I was brought up. Thats sposies were fine for vaccations or when out but when at home it wa sitty to throw away a diaper.. Before my first ws born I stocked up on a TON of diapers gerber flats gerber prefolds gerber covers pins ect... At the time I thought those were it as cloth diapers. I was also given some ALexis covers and some dappi "fitted"..
Baby came and EVERYTHING was way way too big so we used sposies full time for a month or so.. As she grew just enough where I could say fold the flats down enough to fit her and not smother her entire body I also begin thinking wouldn't it be neat if someone made a diaper liek a sposie.. One that could go on and off the same way but jsut be washable...
Then decided to do some google searches and the subject
A little bit latter I had my first CD order comming some kushie diapers and soon after some snuggle ups and bummi wraps.. WHile I didn't stick with all of these it did see me onto CD.

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #6
skankinladybug
Registered Users
seller

About two and a half years ago when I was taking my son to a play group, one of the moms was cloth diapering her daughter. I thought it was cool because of all the benefits. When I found out I was pregnant, I decided to try it out.
skankinladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #7
Saharan
Registered Users
seller
seller

I always knew I would want to cd when I had babies it just makes sense to me. We did wait a month before we started because I did not have any nb diapers but once we did start we never looked back. Next baby will be in cloth from day one :-)
Old 01-29-2011, 12:35 AM   #8
cboytitan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It took 4 years of TTC to get pregnant; and during that time I would ooh and ahhh over baby items all the time. I had some online friends that CD, and one of my friends was pregnant and used G diapers. I knew cloth was out there; but didn't know a whole lot about it. I finally got pregnant, and cloth slipped out of my mind for the most part; but then I took my son to his sitter and she used BG 3.0s on her son and it got me to thinking about them again. I talked to her some, and she loaned me 6 of his diapers that she hadn't even washed yet; so I washed them and never looked back. At the time I had to use a mix of cloth and sposies for awhile until we got a stash built up. After we got a full stash we haven't touched 'sposies, except for a trip where cloth wasn't really possible - at that point it really got us to love cloth even more; especially DH - which was just cute

cboytitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:38 AM   #9
Mobrevic
Registered Users
seller

Location: In the wonderful Black Hills....if you like that sort of thing. Me I perfer the beach.
My Mood:

Pretty simple for me really they are cute and I am cheap. I did daycare for a lady who did cloth and I was like oh they are so much cuter....so yep there ya go my story...lol not to thrilling i know
Mobrevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:18 AM   #10
sagira
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Eight years ago I started thinking about it. I was pregnant with ds, who's nearly 7 1/2 now, and reading Mothering Magazine articles helped me see cloth diapers as doable and an environmental choice. It truly bothered me (still does) that all those disposables are just sitting there for years in a landfill. I also thought cloth would be more comfortable on baby's bum, breathable, and I felt weary about the gels in disposables.

All that said, my plans to CD went out the window as we were living with my in-laws, who were nice in many other ways, but I knew philosophically they didn't get it. Why not use disposables? They're easier, they keep baby dry.. How do you get those diapers truly clean? Plus they used (still do) strong detergents. The whole house smelled strongly like Tide. I do not like Tide. I bought fragrance free and environmentally friendly detergent when I had a rash during pregnancy and it's been working for me ever since. I got very sick and almost died in the middle of my pregnancy (10 days in the hospital), and I already had a midwife, which was considered i'm sure hippy and strange to them.

Since it's their house and their laundry equipment, and I was still recuperating from my illness, I decided to be considerate to them and easier on me by using sposies (which I got a ton of anyway, Huggies). As soon as those Huggies were used up, I bought Seventh Generation and Tushies (which were hard to come by in my area in those days) and started my journey towards more environmentally friendly and healthier eating choices, all for myself healing and my precious new baby.

With my second baby we were living in our own house, and I started cding a week or two after she was born. My mom and in-laws even helped me buy diapers. In-laws were impressed with the ease of modern pocket diapers (prestuffed for them of course), and my mom loved Under The Nile and the natural cotton fitted diapers. She saw how comfortable and cute they could be. I was a bit intimidated by the idea of washing them, hence the delay in use. Turned out much easier than I thought (we had a toploader back then).

With this baby due on Feb. 6, 2011 (almost 39 weeks pregnant!), I have one 40-count package of Seventh Generation newborn diapers, that's it. When that's done, I'll start cloth diapering my new baby girl. I noticed I recuperated in a relatively short time last time from my natural birth (3 or 4 days), so I'll be ready to do at least just diaper laundry. This time I've ventured off from just natural looking diapers, and got some cute prints

That's my journey. Thanks if you have read this far!

Last edited by sagira; 01-29-2011 at 05:19 AM.
sagira is offline   Reply With Quote