Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #21
fluffycheeks
Registered Users
seller

Re: How did you get turned on to cloth diapers?

I love all these stories!

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #22
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love threads like these!

I actually got interested in cloth diapering with my second child, because we had moved over into a more "crunchy" lifestyle at that point, but everyone was so against it - they told me I'd "never go through with it", that it was too expensive to start, that it was too big of a hassle and time-consuming. They were just so negative about it. My husband started to turn wishy-washy about the decision in light of all their comments. I got discouraged, and gave up on it.

Fast forward to January 2010, I had a new preemie, plus a 15-month-old and a 3-year-old. Sposies were expensive as heck when you're buying for that many kids, and kids that are very sensitive to things like Pampers and Luvs, anything scented, etc. My girls got horrible, terrible rashes from Luvs and one day, I sat down and tried to figure out exactly when was the last time my older daughter had NOT had a diaper rash? It scared me, worried me. I began researching all the chemicals in disposables, all the chemicals it takes to make them. I started thinking about cloth again, seriously this time.

Finally, in March 2010 I approached my husband with the idea that I should just try cloth. I mean, just try it you know! Last time I had not even held a cloth diaper in my hand and everyone was telling me to give it up. So I began doing research, and saving up a little money. I had to start with the cheap-o stuff, but I ordered a few Thirsties covers, 18 Kissaluvs fitteds, some doublers, some Kushies and some Kawaii. That was really what I started out with. Eventually, I got into a prefold craze - don't ask me why! - and I ordered like tons and tons of prefolds, pins and Snappi's. I just kind of slowly added things here and there... I discovered wool last fall and love, love, love it!

Right now I'm in the midst of shaking up the stash yet again, I'm expecting my fourth baby who will be CD'd from birth, and I'm drawing near the first anniversary of using cloth. I absolutely love it, and my only regret is that I didn't start doing it with my first child, from infancy. It's great!
Old 01-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #23
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When the non-profit I volunteer for kept running out of sposies to hand out, and we were always begging donors for them.

One client in particular was begging us for sposies nearly every week, had no $$$ and was always out. I wanted her to have SOMETHING to put on her baby's bottom, b/c I was afraid she was reusing the sposies, or leaving them on way too long. I went to an upscale baby shop and bought the only thing they had (Bambino Mio, or something like that) about 12 thick prefolds and 2 covers, and that was the start. All Target had was Gerbers. That was the start. But we had tried to give out cloth twice before, and the projects had failed or fizzled, and I was determined to make it work better. So after studying WHY we failed, and finding this site, we are doing much better.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #24
langyork
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm a NUT about the trash and what goes in it. I knew I didn't want poo in the trash. So, cloth diapers for us because I wanted to reduce the trash.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #25
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller

My Mood:

Oh wow, it started so long ago, lol. In 1999, I started working at a daycare that was very environmentally friendly and had even won awards because of it. The babies there were all cloth diapered. The parents each paid $10/month to cover the cost of the diaper service. We used diaper service prefolds, pins, and gerber plastic pants. I wish I would have known how to REALLY put a diaper on, or about all of the nice covers available because diapering 8 babies with prefolds, pins, and plastic pants was really not that much fun. In 2001, I got pregnant with my first baby and knew that I would use cloth. I figured if I had done it at work with that many babies, it would be a piece of cake with 1 baby! My grandma was nice enough to buy me a whole stash of gerber prefolds, pins, and plastic pull on pants and I was ecstatic because that was all that I knew existed in the cloth diaper world! At the time, my mom tried to tell me about the flats that she had used on us, but I was totally convinced that these Gerber prefolds were so much better than her old flats, lol. Yeah, well, by the time DS was a week old, we were done CD'ing. I hated it and that was it. Both he and DD, who was born 19 months later, were sposie babies.

Fast forward to hmmm, maybe 2006? I was doing child care out of my home and one of the moms had a new baby. I was taking care of her older DD one day and when she came to pick her up, she had the new baby with her and he was wearing a Fuzzi Bunz!!! I could not believe my eyes! She explained it to me very quickly, while standing by the front door and kind of gave me a peak in at his diaper, lol. That night, I did a search for cloth diapers and could not believe what I found! Oh, the possibilities! No more Gerber prefolds and plastic pants! Pocket diapers! Lots of them! And AIOs!!! I was astounded! I immediately started ordering and ordering and ordering, lol. I remember the day they came in the mail and putting that very first diaper on DS, who was almost 2. It was a Drybees cheetah print. I was so excited, but nervous. I thought for sure it would leak. But, it didn't, it was fabulous. Pretty much, the rest is history!
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #26
Baylen's Mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Several years ago an older sister of a co-worker/friend of mine CDed her son. I believe that she had a diaper service, and I never actually saw the CDs, but I though that her sister was the epitomy of stylish and classy. The possibility of CDing stuck in my mind , but I knew NOTHING about it, and had long since lost contact with the co-worker/friend and her sister. Flash forward 10+years...Ali Edwards, a Scrapbooker whose blog I follow, blogged about CDing her DD. Again, someone I admired....someone "real" was doing this! So, I started researching even before TTC. When we got pregnant, I found the most "local" CD store (nearly an hour away) and went to a CDing class there. I attended the class twice, just to be sure that I was "getting" it (the options were overwhelming, and that was before I learned about WAHM products!). Once I took my mom (who had CDed me with pins, plastic pants, and toilet "dunking"), b/c I wanted her to see how different it was now) and the other time I took one of my BFFs, b/c she has two LOs under the age of 3, and I figured that she could play the Practical Devil's Advocate for me. Both of them went in skeptical and walked away totally impressed. I never actually took my husband, b/c he is one of those "whatever you want to do....just show me how" kind of guys, and I knew better than to overwhelm him with all of the options.
I wanted to CD for several reasons. Of course, the thought of the millions of sposies in landfills makes me physically ill. I rationalized that it "might" be more economical...and then I learned that CDing is a type of herroin-like addiction for which I am not interrested in a cure. But, also, I am just convinced that the human race is slowly, but surely, driving ourselves to extinction with all of the flippin' chemicals that we come in contact with on a daily basis in the seemingly most benign ways. I hated the idea of something so UNNATURAL surrounding my baby ALL THE TIME! The only thing worse would be to make her a hat out of a sposie and subject her brain it! We did use sposies the first 3 months, b/c I had ordered SBs with organic inserts 7 days after she arrived (4 weeks early), but they took 3 MONTHS to come in! I really wish that I had been able to CD from birth!
Baylen's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #27
amberdawn723
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My first DD was a sposie baby. I didn't even know cloth diapers existed besides the old "rubber pants" from generations back. Just a few months ago I was on babycenter.com on my due date forum and came across a thread about a few moms who were thinking about cloth diapering to save money. At first I just brushed it off thinking there was no way I was putting "rubber pants" on my baby. After seeing a few more threads about it, I thought maybe there was something more to cloth diapering...and if it could save us money it might be worth a shot.

So I scoured the internet and was astonished to find all the possibilities and improvements in cloth diapering that there is today. I have since built a newborn/small stash from many of you ladies on the FSOT threads for my baby due in March. I am super excited about cloth diapering....and very nervous too! My DH is okay with it but my mother was very surprised to hear that I wanted to CD. She thinks it's the same as it was back in the early 80s (when she used them on me and my brother when we got diaper rashes) and can't understand why on earth I would want to do it, but she's open to doing whatever I want. Can't wait to get my baby in a CD!
Gwendolyn (6-30-15)
amberdawn723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:36 AM   #28
nahrie
Registered Users

I use StumbleUpon on my browser when I'm bored, and it brought me to an article about what the newer diapers look like. I thought back to when my ds was a baby and we had to sell our stereo to afford diapers. I thought, if I ever get pregnant again, I'm doing that, because I NEVER want to go through that again. Then I did get pregnant and researched it some more and went holy cow! Not only will it save me money, but it's so darn CUTE! I was an addict before I ever bought anything LOL
Old 02-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #29
Greenlily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

A friend of mine was changing her LO the first time I ever saw a modern cloth diaper. I thought to myself, "Hey, wait a second, I can do that!". Prior to that, when I pictured cloth diapers I thought of prefolds, pins and plastic pants. I asked her about cloth diapering and she laid it all out for me. I only wish we had considered cloth with my oldest three.
Greenlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #30
pbb119
Registered Users
seller

I only started cd'ing w/my 4th baby, and regret not doing it w/all. I wanted to do it b/c of all the chemicals in sposies. I am not too "crunchy" (despite being a cd'ing, hs'ing, bw'ing, ebf'ing, co-slping, delayed/non-vaxing momma! LOL) but I am into being as natural as possible, keeping chemicals and preservatives, etc. out of our lives. With dd being our first girl, I thought that it would be esp important to keep her parts free of everything non-natural as possible. I never dreamed it would be so easy or fun! All the cute colors/prints, etc. and even dh thinks it is easy. He was never against it, but he is as mainstream as they come, so cd'ing was very "out there" to him. But he always goes along w/whatever I want to do, esp. in regards to the children. The only debate now is that he is all about the Flips but I love pockets! So, more Flips in the stash just for him! I love the green aspect of cd'ing, altho since my stash is new and small, I use an ocean a day just keeping up with it! What with all the hot water, and the dryer going constantly, I'm not sure I am doing the environment any favors. But at least the landfills have a few less sposies to hold.
pbb119 is offline   Reply With Quote