Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
mamamaggie
Registered Users
seller

More name help

So we are also trying to narrow down names for baby boy. One name I love is the same first and last name as a professional athlete who retired ten years ago and was apparently in some trouble with the law when I googled him. I have never heard of this person, and my husband just knew that he existed, not the other stuff.. He says it is now out because he doesn't want everyone always bringing it up to our kid when they hear his name (like if you were named Michael Vick or something). I say hardly anyone will know this person. I know it is hard without knowing the actual person, but I think should still protect our last name online, kwim.

What do you think?

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
mamamaggie
Registered Users
seller

Re: More name help

Wow, I can't believe no one has an opinion on this.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
watermelon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh I don't know. I guess it would depend on how big of a deal it was and all that. You've got time to think about it .
Old 01-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
cococomey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hummm.... I would think that would play a lot into it.
I mean depending on the popularity

If you know that naming them this will be setting them up for ridicule then I would say no
JMO

cococomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
treetree1974
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

michael vick just got done being in trouble. He was convicted for dog fighting. He had this huge dog fighting network with cages and arenas in his house. It was insane.

with that being said..

I wouldn't automatically think of him if you said that was your child's name. I think it sounds fine and if you like it you should use it. Who cares about some dumb sports star. In a few years no one will even know who Michael Vick is.
treetree1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
Mama4Ways
Registered Users

My only advice is dont google names. My dh is a geek and googles *Everything*

When the name we came up with was first on the table, he googled it with our last name. Bad move. The name is a fairly well publicized adult entertainment star.

We decided to go with the name anyway because by the time she is old enough to deal with the fall out of that, there will likely be newer stars that have displaced her popularity, and she will be old enough to deal with the backlash. And honestly, if it wasnt this, it would be something else if someone wanted to tease her about something.

Most of the time, kids dont go by their first and last names together anyway, and are just their first names... so I think it would be ok to go with what YOU love.

Of course, I COULD use this to try to wedge my dh away from loving the name... But, nah, that wouldn't be fair....

Last edited by Mama4Ways; 01-30-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Mama4Ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:39 AM   #7
Mama4Ways
Registered Users

Dear Double Post Gremlin

Go away :X

Last edited by Mama4Ways; 01-30-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Mama4Ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
mamamaggie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama4Ways View Post
Most of the time, kids dont go by their first and last names together anyway, and are just their first names... so I think it would be ok to go with what YOU love.
I wonder if that is true for us. Around here kids always introduce themselves with both names, and most people call each other by first and last, I think because family ties are so important here on the reservation. Of course, we won't be living here forever. Certainly something to think about.

Last edited by mamamaggie; 01-30-2011 at 08:15 AM.
mamamaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
elkay724
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Out of curiosity...what's the name?
elkay724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
lilthunderfox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think it is a big deal honestly. Most people get teased in high school about their name and quite frankly most high schoolers don't care about football stars from 20 years ago let alone football glimmers who never found fame. My dad had a friend named Michael Jackson and the only thing we ever said to him was "It is pretty cool and disappointing to look at my caller ID and see that Michael Jackson is calling only to find out it is you!" He was a good friend and always laughed about it. If you love the name use it. JMHO
Teale cd'ing, bf'ing, erf'ing, non circ'ing, more crunchy than I ever thought I would be, wifey to C mama to C 9/04, C 7/06, and CJ 11/09 with a newbie due in March 2012!! ISO: Nursing tops and bras S-M 34-36 C-D, girls clothes size 3, and girly newbie AIO/AI2s.
lilthunderfox is offline   Reply With Quote