Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Mama4Ways
Registered Users

Sigh... name frustration

I was determined to LOVE my baby's name this time around. A couple of my kids I gave into what someone else wanted, and regret it every day. One most especially.

Anyway, we settled on a first name. Its a nice name, very traditional and "proper" and all of that. Lots of options for nicknames that could fit.

Middle name is a family name that is immediate to both of our families--so that one is staying, even if its not the best.

I am feeling kind of uhm I dont know. Like I dont LOVE the name any more. It's a very common one and has no real meaning that I can jump about. Our baby will love that everyone will know how to spell it and pronounce it correctly and it wont be a set back on a job, college or law school admission application.

I talked to DH about it and he was pretty firm about the fact that he already considers the baby to be THIS name, and unless a name is outstandingly "OMG Why didnt we think of this from the beginning? Its PERFECT!" then he isnt keen on doing anything different.

All of the names I proposed that I *loved* he shot down, so this was already a compromise. And I am coming to accept that Im not going to be all that thrilled about this one's name either.

Im not a wilting flower for anything in life, but I pick my battles. This one doesn't seem one to engage.

Im not whining, just tired, I guess and this just isnt worth devoting energy.

Advertisement

Last edited by Mama4Ways; 01-29-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Mama4Ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sigh... name frustration

Wow...I know EXACTLY what you mean....exactly....*sigh*
Old 01-29-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
cococomey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i don't think about names ahead of time for this reason....lol...
and with this baby my DH is naming him/her (of course after board approval)

I was in the hospital going stir crazy for our oldest and our adopted daughter the same thing--- it's too much pressure on me...lol...
I feel like naming someone is such a BIG responsibility that i don't want to mess it up

another *sigh*

cococomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
pacey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are going through this too. I dont know how people come up with names.

Like the duggers- I can come up with a 3rd name, let alone having to do that 19 times over.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Julesboch
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am having a very hard time committing to a name and mainly because all the names I love DH just says "no" to. No reason behind it he just says no, keep heart ladies I got to name DD2 whatever I wanted since I played the sob card at the last minute and DH crumbled. I am hoping for the same reaction this time MWA HA HA HA HA!!! Sorry very irritable today.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Salidwyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesboch View Post
I am having a very hard time committing to a name and mainly because all the names I love DH just says "no" to. No reason behind it he just says no, keep heart ladies I got to name DD2 whatever I wanted since I played the sob card at the last minute and DH crumbled. I am hoping for the same reaction this time MWA HA HA HA HA!!! Sorry very irritable today.
I'm kind of hoping to do the same thing if this LO ends up being a girl. There's a girl name that I love and I've been stuck on since getting pregnant that I think just fits. I told DH about it and got "meh, I don't really like it" and I was bummed. Since we're making a short list (3ish of each) of names to take to the hospital and deciding after the baby's born, you give me hope that I might be able to play the sob card too. Or at least the "I just went through X hours of labor, X hours of pushing, etc. etc. etc.... we are naming the baby THIS and THAT'S FINAL!" card....

Old 01-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
SchatziB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salidwyn View Post
Since we're making a short list (3ish of each) of names to take to the hospital and deciding after the baby's born, you give me hope that I might be able to play the sob card too. Or at least the "I just went through X hours of labor, X hours of pushing, etc. etc. etc.... we are naming the baby THIS and THAT'S FINAL!" card....

Be careful it doesnt back fire on you! I don't care for DD's middle name. DH swapped it from the one I liked and he did it at the last minute. Mostly because I was like "I just went through labor and pushed a baby outta me. I don't give a flying HOOT what goes on that stupid paper. Just fill it out and get me out of this hospital and into my own bed"

Well here we go again!
SchatziB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
mamamegan841
Registered Users
seller

We have a name, and while I LOVE the first name and it is one I picked out, I am not liking the middle name at all. My husband wants to honor his maternal grandfather by giving our son his name for a middle name, which is Wilbur. I know it could be worse, but Wilbur? I feel like I have to agree to it since I used my grandmother's name for our daughter's middle name. And they will both have the same initials, so that will be neat. Our daughter's name is Emily Willow (my grandma's name was Willadean) and this baby will be Everett Wilbur. I just can't help but to think of Wilbur from Charlotte's Web every time I hear it. Like I said already though, it could be worse. Other male names on his side are Cicero, Marion, and Purifoy. Oh and my husband's middle name is Brooks which is what he originally wanted to use, but thank goodness he has changed his mind.
mamamegan841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
Salidwyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchatziB View Post
Be careful it doesnt back fire on you! I don't care for DD's middle name. DH swapped it from the one I liked and he did it at the last minute. Mostly because I was like "I just went through labor and pushed a baby outta me. I don't give a flying HOOT what goes on that stupid paper. Just fill it out and get me out of this hospital and into my own bed"
Oooh, good to know the flip side of that. I'll let our doula know too so hopefully she can catch it if I don't!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
SchatziB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh Mama! Wilbur is a hard pill to swallow! Can you use a version of it since you used a version of Willadean? Something playing on the Wil part? Even if you made a name up like "Wilben" that carried 4 or the letters and same syllables over it could be a good compromise.

Well here we go again!
SchatziB is offline   Reply With Quote