Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
Registered Users
Re: Nursing Through Pregnancy

I just nursed through my pregnancy and am now tandem nursing my 19 month old and 3 week old. I noticed a dip/loss of supply around 16-20 weeks. I can't pinpoint it exactly. Most of my reserach said you usually experience it somewhere between 12 and 20 weeks so I felt confident ttc again when my DD was 9 months that I would likely get her to a yr and would be able to avoid formula. I am so glad that we did and thankful that she continued to nurse even when it was just dry nursing. It wasn't exactly comfortable, but it was worth it to me. She was happier when my colostrum came in and pretty ecstatic when I got my milk back. My milk came back in right away, as in I felt myself getting engorged right when my water broke with DS. I'm now nursing them both. DD only nurses 3x/day on most days, but it is working out pretty well. PM me if you have any questions.

Advice: Buy the book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing." I just got it and highly recommend it for anyone bfing while pregnant and/or tandem nursing!

Congrats on your pregnancy! Good luck!

Desirae. Air Force Wife to Daniel . SAHM to Daelyn Averi and Drake Aden Proud natural birthing, baby wearing, tandem nursing, ing, ,ERFing, pro-intact mama. I love my family <3
BabyD'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

I nursed through my last pregnancy. I got pregnant when DS was about 16 months old. He was still nursing probably at least 6 times a day and another 4-6 times at night at that time. By 16 weeks pregnant my supply was almost non-existent, and DS night weaned himself, but still nursed frequently during the day. By about 30 weeks, he was down to just morning, nap, and bed, unless he got really upset or hurt, when he needed the comfort the most. I don't remember when the colostrum really started flowing, but I know I was completely dry for a while before that. I couldn't hand express anything, and DS didn't swallow when nursing. I could tell when the colostrum came in because he started swallowing some again.

For my own sanity, we kept the nursing relationship he worked down to after DD was born. He would have loved to start nursing frequently again, I think, but I really didn't want two on-demand nursers. At 29 months, he still nurses for morning, nap and bed.
Mommy to DS 8-23-08, DD 9-19-10, and DD 11-25-12. I'm probably
rosefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:12 AM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

Thanks- I am currently 9 weeks and can still hand express. DS asks for water at night, so i guess that may be something. Anyway hoping to go as long as we can.
abbeylynn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
Registered Users

I can't remember when my milk supply dropped, but DS#1 continued to nurse until I was 8 months pregnant and he was 16-17 months old. I hoped he would continue throughout or go back to it afterwards, but he would have nothing to do with it.

I am so happy I kept going w/him though.
glupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #15
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
My Mood:

I'm 12 weeks pregnant w/ #2 & still nursing my 16 month old.

My supply dipped around 7 weeks, but then came right back about 2 weeks later. I could tell bc DS was being "naughty" at the breast--biting, pulling, and fussing.

Now, I'm ok. I'm still scared its going to go away though!!
Steph: DW to Tim
Proud Mama to Lucas Wayne 10/18/09 & Vincent James8/8/11

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote