Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you share baby names? Why or why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emp1217 View Post
I love the name Amelia
Thanks, I really love it also

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #12
RobinCharles86
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We told! I come from a family that has trouble pronouncing a lot of different sounds so we had to make sure everyone would be able to say the baby's name. It made for cute monogramed baby clothes and such, but in the event we have another announcing the name is one of many things we are doing differently.
RobinCharles86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

No, we do not share the name or any potential names. With DS1, we did and got way too many thoughts and opinions from too many people. It was annoying. With DS2, we decided to keep the name a secret. Since we have c-sections, i wanted everyone to be gathered around around when we announced it. I told my mom in the OR (got to have my hubby and my mom in there) and then DH told everyone else when they rolled the baby out. I didn't get to see anyone's reaction except my mom. THis time, we are still keeping a secret, but DH went behind my back and talked to his sister about a couple potential names We still don't have a name for this little guy, so I guess he didn't make a HUGE boo-boo. LOL This time I am going to make him wait for ME to announce his name.. if we even have a name cause there is NOTHING on the list right now! eek!
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, I don't share my name choices anymore. We did share both sex and name for our son before he was born and most people loved his name.

This time, I don't share because I don't care about others' opinions of my chosen names. I don't share online because I don't want anyone who is pregnant and due before or near me to discover the names because I suggested them. The reason we use the names we do is uniqueness along with liking the names. After my baby is born and has the name, if someone names their baby the same thing because of seeing my child's name, as far as I'm concerned, it's just copying and there's no avoiding that.

Now, to be fair, I wouldn't consider it so much "stealing my name" if someone I know happened to discover the name I wanted to use on their own search and used the name. That's fair. The names I have chosen are real names and can be found on name websites and in books. The only way to avoid that is to make up a completely new word to use as a name and I think that is just silly and a burden for the kid.
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #15
miraclebaby
Registered Users
seller

We shared names but not gender (because we don't know it!!)

Amelia Grace or Jacob William.

Grace is our daughter's middle name and William is Dh's and Our son's middle name. We decided that we would use the same middle name because the three of our kids are only 1/2 siblings (and our son and daughter are only step) since my daughter and his son was from previous marriages and it was a nice way to tie us all together.

Join me swagging http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/stephlawler
miraclebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #16
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We shared the gender and the name. Frankly, I didn't care what people thought. My kid, my name.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #17
MyLovely
Registered Users

We won't find out sex and won't tell name ideas to anyone. My SIL finds out the sex at 18 weeks with each kid and then we call the baby by name. By the time the baby comes, it's like going to pick someone up at the airport or something, there aren't any surprises left. If only DH and I know the names and nobody knows the gender, it just seems so much more exciting...instead of "Penelope is here finally!" it's "Our baby came! It's a girl! Her name is Penelope!"
Old 01-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #18
mamamegan841
Registered Users
seller

We do NOT share names simply because we do not want to hear other people's opinions on our names. With our daughter, we shared the names that were on our list and we ended up not using the name I wanted to use (Sadie) because everyone else hated it. My uncle used to have a dog named Sadie when I was too young to even remember it, but everyone in my family associated that name with a dog. One of my aunts even went so far as to send me a list in the mail of names that she thought I might like. Then my in-laws kept on and on suggesting that we use one of their mother's names. If they like those names so well, why didn't they give them to their daughter? I don't understand why people think they get an opinion. They have already had their turn to name babies and it is so frustrating! So after we decided on our daughter's name we didn't tell anyone until she was born, we haven't told anyone the names we are thinking of using for the baby on the way, and we won't until after he is born.
mamamegan841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #19
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nope...b/c it's hard enough getting dh and I to agree, nevermind hearing the opinions of others and trying to please them.

I also like unique names, and have a silly fear that someone else will like it and use it, and somehow it will become popular. the less people know of those names, the better...LOL.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:39 PM   #20
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

#1 we shared names and gender and I got a lot of "advice" on what to name him instead. After I told a few people everyone knew, which was kind of sad to me because I wanted to announce it.

#2 we shared only the gender. Again got a lot of "advice" on what to name him, and I only told a few people his gender and then it circulated around.

We're trying for #3 next year and we're not going to find out the gender, and we already have a girl and boy named picked but it's been kept to ourselves.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote