Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
bpure8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cravings!.. EWWW!

Little background. I swore off Red meat, non organic eggs and Dairy. It's been 7 months and I've not touched any of it except once or twice and boy oh boy did I notice my body didn't want them! I'm really sensitive to the hormones in milk and eggs and Red meat just leaves me bloated for hours.. All of it screws up my hormones as well...

Soo. WHY THE HECK am I craving Red meat?? I'm 4 weeks prego.. but come on! Do I need more protein? What, other then beans and Salmon (Which I'm trying to not eat while prego except wild caught) can I eat to get more protein... (Don't say chicken! I'm all chickened out and want to puke if I see it raw. )

I SOOO want a hamburger but don't.. If that makes any sense!

Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cravings!.. EWWW!

How about a turkey burger? Or soy protein supplements/foods (e.g., tofu)? I had this same issue when I was pregnant-I craved burgers- I normally love them, but when I was pregnant, it was OFF THE CHARTS CRAVINGS!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
sbdf13
Registered Users
seller

turkey burger with avocado
sbdf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
irishmama2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

your probably craving iron. try beets
Old 02-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

Well, try eating a 100% STRICT vegan diet for 10 YEARS, and having 2 completely vegan pregnancies with absolutely ZERO cravings, only to start having cravings for eggs and fish after all this time! I never thought I would have cravings since I went so long without a single one. It's driving me so crazy that I don't know what to do with myself.

I have researched this a little and I will say that it seems that most people on various restricted diets will crave things they don't usually eat when they are pregnant. Science says that it doesn't necessarily mean anything, i.e. cravings don't necessarily mean we NEED whatever it is we are craving, but I do find that if I eat more things like nuts/seeds and tofu, my non-veg cravings are diminished (for a while, anyways).

Dr. Brewer (who promotes a high-protein diet for the prevention of toxemia and other pregnancy/birth difficulties) has a website with lots of suggestions on how to get protein. He even has separate pages devoted to vegetarian and vegan diets. I'm sure you can find some direction there, as it's been very helpful to me and your diet isn't quite as restricted as mine. Here's the link: http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/index.html

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
Keiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For this pregnancy, especially when I had my nausea at night, I ate so much peanut butter toast or peanuts. But you could also try other nuts like almond butter etc. I also loved cheese and yogurt! Maybe try one of those?

Waldorf dolls and Natural toys for your little Keiki
Stocking the first Friday of the month at The Enchanted Toybox Congo

Mama to Annamarie (7/11) expecting #2 August 2015!
Keiki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

You need some iron, and old wives tales say that means a boy!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Iron...I craved steak with dd before I knew I was prego and I was not a meat eater ( no reason, just didnt like the taste) We had a roomie, and I remember coming home from work and saying I wanted to go out... Dh was going to play poker and roomie was going out with another guy from work. I looked at them both and said "i want to eat steak and one ofyou is taking me!"... Tommie said he was leaving in 10 min and I could tag along
Old 02-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I also suggest beets and dark leafy greens.

I was there with my first. Up to that point I had not eatin meat in 14yrs. I craved hamburgers with him lol!

DS2 I had a major aversion to chicken and never ate it again. Became vegan after that pregnancy.

With this one I am lucky bc I am having major aversions to all things meat, dairy and so on.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
Loveme2x
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've been pretty lucky, vegan for almost 6 years, 2nd vegan pregnancy, and no non-vegan cravings, phew! I crave baked goods, which are easy enough to veganize. Is it possible that it's the salt or acidic taste of the meat and not the meat itself you're craving? Maybe eating a veggie source of something you might cook or serve in a similar way would help - portobello mushroom burger covered in your favorite stuff maybe? Have you tried dairy alternatives like Tofutti sour cream and cream cheese or Daiya (my fave!), or even soy or coconut yogurt or Purely Decadent icecream (I prefer the coconut milk one,)? If dairy, eggs, and beef make you feel ill then I would guess eating them is a bad idea for sure...tofu scramble instead of eggs? There is a great recipe in Vegan with a Vengeance, so yummy! Hope you feel better soon!
.married to my BFF (9/05).
cautiously with #2 (7/1/11)
Loveme2x is offline   Reply With Quote