Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Question about back sleeping...

I know it's ok to back sleep but, does anyone know if it can make the baby more prone to be in a bad position, like breech or transverse?

I ask b/c I'm completely paranoid this pregnancy about a breech/transverse baby, but I am really only sleeping well on my back with a pillow under my legs.

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Kbunz14
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question about back sleeping...

I back slept a lot my first pregnancy and DD was traverse until 22wks. One might painful night she went head down and after that it was just too uncomfortable to sleep on my back anymore. I'm not sure if sleeping on my back was the reason she was sideways, but maybe ask your OB/MW? Mne said that around 20wks I shouldn't be laying on my back as much and sure enought hat was when I started to get uncomfortable (I know you're over 20wks but still )
Old 02-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

The best advice I got about sleep positions was that your body (and baby) will guide you. Don't force yourself to sleep in an uncomfortable position... your body may be telling you something!

I'd just try to monitor baby's position as best you can and as the PP said, chat with your mw.

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippieintraining View Post
The best advice I got about sleep positions was that your body (and baby) will guide you. Don't force yourself to sleep in an uncomfortable position... your body may be telling you something!

I'd just try to monitor baby's position as best you can and as the PP said, chat with your mw.
Great point! It's strange b/c I start off on my left side b/c it is most comfortable, but within an hour or two, I am SO SORE, I roll over to my back and it's like instant pain relief, and I usually sleep for up to 6 hours that way without even waking to pee (which is nearly impossible at 31 wks preggo!), and when it's time to get up, I feel amazing - my back isn't sore, my hips and pelvis don't ache, I feel great!

I'm really not worried at all about crushing that major vein (or whatever the "medical" reason is for not back sleeping lol). I know if I start cutting off circulation to some part of my body, I will naturally move. I'm really just ONLY worried about the position of the baby.

Last edited by Kiliki; 02-01-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
miraclebaby
Registered Users
seller

back sleeping toward the end (third tri) tends to make a OP baby which is "sunny side up" and not favorable for birthing. There are lots of positions you can try to get the baby favorable, my fav and easiest was i bought a birthing ball early, and every night after dinner i sit on it and rock while i watch tv. Avoid reclining with the front of your pelvis higher than the back.

Join me swagging http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/stephlawler
miraclebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraclebaby View Post
back sleeping toward the end (third tri) tends to make a OP baby which is "sunny side up" and not favorable for birthing. There are lots of positions you can try to get the baby favorable, my fav and easiest was i bought a birthing ball early, and every night after dinner i sit on it and rock while i watch tv. Avoid reclining with the front of your pelvis higher than the back.
Yeah, I was going to say this--I've never heard of back sleeping contributing to a breech or transverse baby, but I personally worry a bit about a posterior baby. They move around a lot, though, so you have lots of opportunities to encourage an anterior position.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraclebaby View Post
Thanks, this is what I was wondering about.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
AlisonR80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Great point! It's strange b/c I start off on my left side b/c it is most comfortable, but within an hour or two, I am SO SORE, I roll over to my back and it's like instant pain relief, and I usually sleep for up to 6 hours that way without even waking to pee (which is nearly impossible at 31 wks preggo!), and when it's time to get up, I feel amazing - my back isn't sore, my hips and pelvis don't ache, I feel great!

I'm really not worried at all about crushing that major vein (or whatever the "medical" reason is for not back sleeping lol). I know if I start cutting off circulation to some part of my body, I will naturally move. I'm really just ONLY worried about the position of the baby.
i thought it reduced blood flow to the baby, something you wouldn't really notice like the circulation getting cut off to your leg for example.
I have the opposite issue...i ended up on my back last night and my back was killing me. I always sleep on my left side with a kidney bean shaped pillow between my knees and have no pain whatsoever like that...and usually stay in the same spot. Maybe a special pregnancy pillow would help?
Old 02-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Sleeping on your back: This can cause problems with backaches, breathing, digestive system, hemorrhoids, low blood pressure and decrease in circulation to your heart and your baby. This is a result of your abdomen resting on your intestines and major blood vessels (the aorta and vena cava). source

Vena cava: The superior vena cava is the large vein which returns blood to the heart from the head, neck and both upper limbs. The inferior vena cava returns blood to the heart from the lower part of the body source

So, while it can cut off blood circulation to baby AND mother, I think the mother would notice first, as she would experience light-headedness, dizziness, heart palpitations, leg cramps, etc. and then be forced to move anyway.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
Keiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I started a thread a while ago about back sleeping since I naturally sleep on my back, and all these ladies said they've had no issues.
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1142212

Waldorf dolls and Natural toys for your little Keiki
Visit my blog where I post kid friendly crafts, recipes, reviews, giveaways and more! Sequins and Scribbles

Mama to Annamarie (7/11) and Felicity (8/15)
Keiki is offline   Reply With Quote