Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
LilyandLucysLady
moving and having delays in contact.Removed from FSOT for a bit

My Mood:
Sewing Mamas PLEASE respond

I need advice on Machine embroidery on satin. Anyone done it? I'm off to google to find some info but i figured first hand accounts, tips and tricks are always better so,
anyone have any tips?
tricks?
or just want to offer up some prayers and good luck wishes?

Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
aprilkek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Sewing Mamas PLEASE respond

Good Luck. I imagine it would be best for it tp not be a really heavy embroidery and to make sure that you have it secured in the hoop well before beginning.

ZULILY! Join Swagbucks and Earn Free Money! Plum District The Mini Social Gilt Group One Kings Lane
aprilkek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
LilyandLucysLady

My Mood:

Thanks for the tip!

Anyone want to spam me with green alternatives for a wig? I may not have any hair when I'm done with this project
Old 02-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't do embroidery, but when working with materials like satin, always place a layer of tissue paper between the machine and fabric. This will keep the machine from trying to eat it. Also, I recommend using the thinnest thread and needle gauge possible for the job.
I hope that helps a little!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
amandalucc
Registered Users
seller

I would also suggest getting some scraps and experimenting with the tension too. I only do embroidery with a regular machine and never on satin...I'm with you I think I'd pull out my hair!! Definitely practice on scraps first for minimal hair loss.
amandalucc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #6
BETTYBLUE27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I usually iron on some interfacing and then use stitch n tear behind it on the hoop. Make sure it's in there tight; use a nice sharp, new embroidery needle; and don't do anything too intricate. Definitely agree with everyone else about testing on a scrap first.
Good Luck, Satin's a pain!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:05 AM   #7
Mrs.Adams
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHome Sewing View Post
I don't do embroidery, but when working with materials like satin, always place a layer of tissue paper between the machine and fabric. This will keep the machine from trying to eat it. Also, I recommend using the thinnest thread and needle gauge possible for the job.
I hope that helps a little!
YES...becuase that stuff can snag if you look at it wrong....True embroidery thread like she said...and a THIN needle...and make sure you keep it sharp!!! Or any nip in it will cause it to catch on the satin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTYBLUE27 View Post
I usually iron on some interfacing and then use stitch n tear behind it on the hoop. Make sure it's in there tight; use a nice sharp, new embroidery needle; and don't do anything too intricate. Definitely agree with everyone else about testing on a scrap first.
Good Luck, Satin's a pain!
INTERFACE INTERFACE INTERFACE.....talk to the people at your local Joanns, hobby lobby, hancocks...they will walk you through it...but in short..
Yes..the stitch n tear is what you would want...because the type you leave on the fabric would most likely be to stiff...unless you are embroidering a color or bodice of somekind that would need re-inforcements...
also..you may just want to get a bottle of fray guard...becuase there is bound to be a fuzz spot somewhere here....
And just breath.......
Old 02-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
LilyandLucysLady

My Mood:

you guys are great, Im heading to my local craft shop to go pick up a few items you all reccomended, i like the tissue paper idea too!

Ive been procrastinating with the embroidery part but, I almost have the skirts finished! after attempting to gather the first ruffle of satin I did hit the edges with some fray check because that stuff is FUZZY!