Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
Tizzymomma61
Registered Users
seller

To toddler bed or not to toddler bed? That is my question! hehe

My son is currently almost 17 months and he prefers to sleep in his room, in his crib. (Much to my surprise after my daughter insisted on co-sleeping, and still at almost 7 fights sleeping alone). I am really not wanting to invest in another crib for the new baby but I have never experienced a toddler bed. All those with multiple children or babies close in age...did you use a toddler bed? At what age did you transistion your little one? He is super tiny for his age so I don't think going to a regular twin size would be a good idea at this point. I am also thinking of trying it soon so he will be used to it when his baby sister comes. I don't want it to happen in the middle of all the excitement and other emotions I'm sure he'll have when he isn't the baby anymore, but is it too soon? Thanks for reading!

Advertisement

Tizzymomma61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
watermelon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: To toddler bed or not to toddler bed? That is my question! hehe

We didn't. We kept our oldest in a crib and bought a second one. She was happy there and ended up sleeping there until she was 3 1/2....sure made my life a lot easier...I never had to worry about her getting up and wandering. With that said, I know tons of people use toddler beds and it works great for them!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
nml12903
Registered Users
seller

My DS is 27 months and we just switched him to a toddler bed. I didn't want to invest in another crib either, and I thought he was ready. He goes to bed so well! He'll go in his room by himself and crawl into bed. I have to give him his monkey and his blanket, and within minutes he's sleeping.

My oldest DD went into a toddler bed at 17 months because she was going to be a big sister, and I didn't want her to think the new baby was stealing her bed. She did just fine too.
nml12903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
jacobsmommy924
Registered Users
seller

We didn't want to buy a second crib either. We switched DS into his toddler bed before DD was born so I could deal with the transition better. He was about 19-20 months old. Believe it or not, he did great! The first couple nights he got up a couple times when we first laid him down, but nothing to get aggravated over. After that, he was great! I was amazed at how well he did.

Nowadays it's a completely different story. Both of them are co-sleeping with us. So the crib is all ready to go and there will be no transitioning this time
jacobsmommy924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

We switch our kids to a full-size bed (we have to twin-over-full bunks) at about 10-12 mos. So, IME, it's not too early to move him outta the crib.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
Lexy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think it would be a great idea! We moved DS#1 to toddler bed at 18mo. DS#2 at 16mo. and DS#3 at 16mo. also DS#3 is super skinny and just petite, other boys were big hogs. LOL. But all adjusted well. With a week of persistance and routine, they all were completely fine and stayed in bed and went ot sleep. My 3 and 2 yr. old are now in twin beds (each has their own) and 18mo. old is still in his toddler bed.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
jenndoxx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm debating this, too. DS is 19 months now and he sleeps great in his crib, too. I want to avoid buying another crib, but if I get a toddler bed for him, I'll still have to buy another crib mattress, right? Thinking about it in terms of buying a toddler bed + mattress makes me kinda just want to get another crib. I've already got a twin bed, so I'm thinking I might just put the twin mattress on the floor until he gets the hang of not falling out. I'm not sure what to do. I could convert his crib into a toddler bed for awhile since the new baby probably will sleep in a bassinet for several weeks, but it seems like it is kind high off the floor even though it is on the bottom setting.

Anyway, I have nothing to add, I'm just not sure what to do either

Jenn
Mom to two little boys
jenndoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
chapmanrl6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We did not switch DD out of her crib until she finally climbed out of it at a little over 2.5. I was planning on waiting as long as possible. We then made a "rule" that she has to stay in her bed until we come get her in the morning. It has worked well for us thus far.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #9
mama21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both of our kids are going to have to sleep in the same bedroom which is really small. There's not enough room for 2 full sized cribs or a crib plus twin bed. So I decided to keep DS in his crib, which we just converted to the toddler bed (took the drop side down & put the toddler rail on it). Then I'm going to get a mini-crib for the new baby. DS is 2 1/2 and I don't have any issues with him wandering around. I figure by the time ODS turns 4, he'll finally be too small for the crib/toddler bed and we can then convert the mini-crib to a twin bed and then put the baby in the regular crib (so they'll just switch beds basically). By then we will have to have moved to a bigger place to accommodate them.

Bikram yoga lover and CD addict
mama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:39 AM   #10
luvnmyfamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS is 14 months and we got him a twin bed and put a rail on it. He is sleeping better in the big bed than the crib!
luvnmyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote