Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2011, 04:14 AM   #11
jasminegrl
Registered Users

Re: To toddler bed or not to toddler bed? That is my question! hehe

we bought another crib, DD will be 19 months when this baby is born and it was either buy another crib or buy a twin mattress and it was cheaper to buy another crib and crib mattresss than to just purchase a twin mattress. I was pissed when I found that out ( we do live overseas so what we have available to us is limited.) When our DD starts trying to climb out of her crib will we convert it to the toddler bed so we won't be out even more money.

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #12
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is just my experience....

I put ODD in a toddler bed at 18 mos and it was the worst thing I have done. I wouldn't do it again. (Mine also prefer to sleep in their cribs after a few months).

However....that being said, why not take his crib mattress out and put it on teh floor and try a few nights and see how he does?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:14 AM   #13
Faithsa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey Lady! I saw your post and had to chime in. Why not see if you can get one off Freecyclye? Caleb sleeps so well in his crib, but I don't think he's ready for the freedom of a toddler bed yet (I'm not ready for him to have that freedom yet either...). I got a second crib at the consignment shop I work at. It will give me peace of mind until Caleb is ready and I won't have to rush him into a transition he's not ready for. Call me sometime! I wanna talk!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #14
Tizzymomma61
Registered Users
seller

Thanks everyone! I think we are going to try it. I figure if we try it now, and it doesn't turn out well, we still have a few months to figure out a new solution. I actually found a toddler bed for sale on craigslist for 40 dollars and was given an additional crib mattress from a friend, so I figured for 40 dollars, he is bound to use it eventually ( or I will set it up in the hall and my DH can sleep on it when he snores! haha!!) I am waiting until the weekend so we can sleep in if there are any issues. (Plus daddy is out to sea until then, and he can put the bed back together since I took it apart last night and don't reallly recall how all this wood and a pocket of screws go together to MAKE a toddler bed!)
Tizzymomma61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #15
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we got a toddler bed for cheap off a local listserv last fall, knowing the new baby was coming this spring. DS co-sleeps and can't stand his crib (even for naps), so it seemed like a good option at the time. since then he's slept in it maybe 5 times. lol. we're going to move it from our room to his and see if that works better, because right now he puts himself down for naps - in his swing. so hopefully he'll consider climbing in his bed instead of his swing eventually
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #16
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

I never even set the crib up w/ the twins. They slept in my bed til around 10 months, then slept on a matress in my floor. I think they were around 15 months when they moved into their big boy bed (twin over full bunk bed, both in the full bed on the bottom, one at each end). I am sure by 18 months all of my kids were out of the crib, I really didn't care for the crib much when they get a little older, and the matress isn't very good either.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #17
Tizzymomma61
Registered Users
seller

Night one of the toddler bed and little man update. I made his bed while he was in the tub and when daddy brought him in and said "wow, look at that big boy bed!" he said "big boy!" We did the same routine as always, gave him his blankie and paci and he went right to sleep, no issues! Let's hope it stays this easy!!!
Tizzymomma61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:18 AM   #18
nicole3567
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD#1 was already in a toddler bed when dd#2 was born. there 2.5 yrs apart. Dd#2 moved to a toddler bed at 12mo because she could climb out. Now there both in bunkbeds and I have the crib and a toddler bed ready to go.
nicole married DH 08/13/06, dd 02/28/06 dd#2 7/04/08 dd #3 5/10/11, my first water birth, CD, Breastfeeding, Co sleeping because she wont sleep any where else Athiest mom,
nicole3567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #19
twolittlebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, glad the first night went so well! I'm too afraid of moving my twins from their cribs. They sleep SO well as it is and share a room, and I'm sure if they weren't in separate cribs, they'd stay up chattering for hours.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #20
Ames2x
Registered Users
Formerly: MackMommaMade
seller

My Mood:

we put my DS in a toddler bed when he turned 1. It was a little rough for a couple days but now he is doing well and we have the crib ready and open for our little DD