Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
cyg37
Registered Users
seller

Latch slipping during feeding

My 9 week old finally latches on with a great open mouth. However I noticed that when the milk flow slows she starts nibbling/chomping for the remaining milk for about 10 min (I am guessing 1oz). Besides being a little painful, I'm getting white compression lines and developing bleeding cracks such that I have to pump until it heals Is it normal for the sucking/tongue movement to change from long sucks to shorter ones? Should I let her nibble? I tried breaking her off but she gets really mad and now tries to clamp on the nipple when she feels my finger or falls asleep only to wake up an hour later hungry. I feel like I can't get the hang of BF and it's starting to give me a complex!

-cindy

Advertisement

cyg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
AmazinMom6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Latch slipping during feeding

I have to do compression while my 12 week old is nursing. I cup my hand around my breast and squeeze rhymetically when he begins to slow down to try and get the milk to flow faster. When he gets frustrated I switch him to the other breast and then back again if he is still hungry. It is completely normal for them to suck fast and long at the beginning and then slow. I bough a book called The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk and it talks alot about latching and how the baby sucks - it was a life saver. Hang in there - she will get it. If you do decide to suppliment try giving her a 2 oz bottle and then taking her to the breast to finish up. This worked for us when my DS had "trust issues" with my milk and would not wait for it to let down before he got frustrated and screamed. He is very comfortable now and knows he will get satisified on my breast now. I don't recommend supplimenting unless you absolutely have to or she is already taking the breast and bottle with no problems.
Also for your nipples, rub in dripping breastmilk onto your areola for me it works better than nipple cream and then let them air dry. Good luck Momma!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
Old 02-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
Jleigh8289
Registered Users
seller

My 8 wk DD does that too, so I try breast compressions and if that doesnt do it, we switch breasts and usually that takes care if it. If I switch and she still "nibbles" i do the breast compressions a couple more mins, and if that doesn't work i just take her off. To me if we try everything and she's still not nursing "actively" then she's just not that hungry. Its not mean, its me staying sane.
Jleigh8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
twolittlebeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would try finding/calling a lactation consultant and or contacting your local Le Leche League for help with this and to see whats going on with baby! You for sure do not want that to continue as its causing you to have issues now!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
cyg37
Registered Users
seller

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and support! It's amazing how much better it feels with some encouragement and ideas!

~Cindy
cyg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
Binah Birth
Registered Users
Formerly: Sew Cute Creations
seller

My Mood:

How long is she nursing before she does this? At her age, she should be efficient enough to be done in 10 min or so. I would offer the other side, or if you don't feel like she's had a good session on that side, you could try the massage.

She may just have a high suck need. One way to solve this is to take her off and put a paci in and then quickly lay her head back on your breast. this teaches her that you will still offer her the comfort of snuggling, but that mommy is not a chew toy! (we had this same problem)
Old 02-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
ksingh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter did that. She was determined to have tongue-tie. I never had it corrected and she is still fussy/gassy and has a poor latch at six months.
ksingh is offline   Reply With Quote