Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
Ajlind5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I just want to do formula.

Advertisement

Last edited by Ajlind5; 03-14-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Ajlind5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
AmazinMom6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I just want to do formula.

No you are not selfish at all sweetie. My first 2 self weaned as soon as they were eating solids. You have done everything in your power to give your DS the best and I applaud you for that. I also pump at work and hate it and hate draggin my pump back and forth and finding a room and all that goes with pumping at work. Good for you for keep it up for 7 months!
Experts say 12 months on the breast but do what feels right for your situation. You could go off the meds and just offer the breast to your DS like you are now and see how it goes.
Do not think you are being selfish - you sound like super mom to me!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Mpierce
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I don't know if you are asking for what we would do personally or not.

I don't think your being selfish but I do agree with you that Breastmilk is best if you can provide it too him.

I personally would begin to wean myself off of the meds when he was 11 months old so that by 12 months you'd be able to feed him maybe once a day BM and then he could move on to something else instead of needing formula. But ultimately you have to decide what is best for you and your family.
Mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
tjsacosta
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally would slowly wean myself down off the dom. slowly meaning cutting out 1 pill a week. Then when you are completely off dom you can see were you stand as far as TTC and your supply. I would look at it from this standpoint, If you want to wait til your son is 12 monmths thats only 5 months away. Ideally you are probably taking atleast 9ish pills of dom a day right? So that's 9 weeks of weaning off of it. Thats alittle over 2 months right there. By that time your son might be on enough solids that you are making enough milk for him. If not you can start supplementing at that point. them its only another 10-11 weeks til your LO turns 1YO. This is what I personally would do. HTH!

Last edited by tjsacosta; 02-03-2011 at 09:10 AM.
tjsacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Old 02-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
jessnye
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No Mama, not selfish. Formula will provide him with excellent nutrition, along with some solids, and chances are, even if your supply decreases, he'll still be able to have that one bedtime nursing. You carried him for 9 months, you've nourished him from your body for 7 months, and you are absolutely not selfish in the least to stop breastfeeding in order to expand your family.
jessnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
doubleddog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like a tough situation! I don't have any advice for you, but wanted to let you know, drugs aside, often your milk supply will take a dip once you are pregnant. That happened to me and I made it to EXACTLY one year with my DD (got pregnant when she was 9 mos. old), so that may be another thing to keep in mind. I knew in theory that my supply could dip, but ended up worrying about whether or not we'd make it to 1 once I was pregnant and never would have expected to have worried about that. If you're already having supply issues, that's another thing to keep in mind in regard to TTC.
Babywearing, CDing SAHM. I love my DH and my 3 sweet girls, looking forward to meeting team green baby #4 April 2013.
doubleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
Maryclothdiapered
Registered Users

I personally would cut out the dom, but still continue pumping (as long as you can stand it) and continue with evening feedings. Because really you have two issues: 1. TTC and 2. wanting to stop pumping. I think this solution is a good compromise. And if your supply dried up too much and you had to supplement with formula, I would not feel guilty about it. I would feel great about having made it to 7 months and while pumping, no less. I personally would not ebf if I had to pump. So my hat's off to you. And good luck TTC.
Maryclothdiapered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
Ajlind5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Last edited by Ajlind5; 03-14-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Ajlind5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
Clare378
Registered Users
seller

You do what's right for you and your child! No judgement.
I couldn't keep up with pumping at work and DD2's demand, so she started getting formula at daycare starting at 6 months. I kept BFing her in the evenings and on weekends because she wouldn't take a bottle if I was present. She's 14 months now and still nursing at night. Don't think of it as an all-or-nothing. If you BF before bedtime and your body cooperates, that's fine too. If you switch completely to formula, your child will survive.
Clare378 is offline   Reply With Quote